Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 233035 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:30:28 »
Well, here it is both with hhkb spacebar mods and with novatouch.

It feels so good guys like seriously.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks magnificent. I want to do the same to my HHKB now..

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #801 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:48:12 »
So Topre is based in Japan, but recently they have started making cheaper products in China. This means they have a factory in China. It is entirely possible that the entire keyboard is made under that one roof with Topre's approval. Having Topre to make the PCB and domes in Japan and then ship them to China for the rest to be put together would incur a huge expense.

So it's all made by the same company. If you want to call that an OEM you can, but it's not really the same as like when WASD just had costar mail them a bunch of one of their reference keyboards to brand, or like how filco's are a filco / diatec design but manufactured by costar. The OEM / client relationship is a little different in each of these cases so it's really hard to know for sure what the proper term is.

I don't know where you get your info, but I just double checked with cooler master (I'm a novatouch beta tester) that confirmed what they originally told me: PCBs and domes are made in japan and shipped to China where the keyboard is assembled. It's something that is commonly done, I really don't see the problem.
fascinating. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #802 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:36:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice Mod TJ  :thumb:

I'll guess we'll see a lot of MX HHKBs in the future :D

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #803 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:50:08 »
Oh god it is beautiful.  Now to find sets that come with a 6u spacebar!!
Hi :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #804 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:18:16 »

I got lucky with the orange RF spacebar I found, but it might be easier to plan around the black/white/beige rf spacebars available in topre stem/stab.  The reason being that it's probably harder to find a 6.25x topre stabilized spacebar. 

Or someone could start modding 6x cherry spacebars, too. 

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #805 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:22:22 »

I got lucky with the orange RF spacebar I found, but it might be easier to plan around the black/white/beige rf spacebars available in topre stem/stab.  The reason being that it's probably harder to find a 6.25x topre stabilized spacebar. 

Or someone could start modding 6x cherry spacebars, too.

Haha, right now, I am thinking penumbra the whole way.  Hopefully the solarized matches the white of the hhkb pretty well.  We will have to see! 
Hi :)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #806 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:25:29 »
is it not time for custom built topre boards soon, asutin, that must have cost a fortune >_<

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #807 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:30:58 »
is it not time for custom built topre boards soon, asutin, that must have cost a fortune >_<

It cost the price of a novatouch.  I think I might start considering pricing either a milled or cast metal case since I've modified the dome weight, stems, stabilizers and controller now.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #808 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 12:26:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool!!!!

I'm really interested in seeing how you make the stabilizers work for the enter and left shift keys.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #809 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 13:20:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool!!!!

I'm really interested in seeing how you make the stabilizers work for the enter and left shift keys.

First, I tried just clipping the little nub things off the novatouch stabs so the actual stem would fit into the hhkb platecase.  They fit fine and respond great.  However, the caps had reduced travel and my enter key was floppy, so I had to drill 2 1/4" holes in the case so the keys would seat properly. 

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #810 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:20:48 »
A group buy on cherry stems for torpre switches shouldn't be that tough to do.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #811 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:44:08 »
Made by Topre? Imposiburu.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #812 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:47:00 »
Yeah. If you are thinking in dealing directly with Topre that is not going to happen.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #813 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:18:30 »
Yeah. If you are thinking in dealing directly with Topre that is not going to happen.
Wise words. Sad but most probably true.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #814 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:48:17 »

matt3o has been looking into it for a good 6 months now.  He's got a good design hammered out, just hasn't got it into major production (you can buy them in singles off shapeways for lots of $)

Offline colomb

« Reply #815 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:09:20 »
Does anyone know of a place to source the foam pads found in silenced topre boards ( http://imgur.com/a/8vnHb )? I've seen the dental band mod and another where someone punched out the rings out of a rubber mat, but I'd rather have the actual ( or something similar to the ) foam rings pictured in the aforementioned link.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #816 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:15:01 »
You can punch rings out of a sheet in 1 shot with one of those Mayhew punches that let you attach an inner and outer punch.

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:17:15 by PointyFox »

Offline deci

« Reply #817 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:59:48 »
You can get .5 mm foam discs made in China.
$50 for 500 (moq) cheaper for more.

I looked into it but decided I prefer stock lubes. Need longer stem like the type s to have no change in feel.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #818 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 22:49:33 »

matt3o has been looking into it for a good 6 months now.  He's got a good design hammered out, just hasn't got it into major production (you can buy them in singles off shapeways for lots of $)

You know, that could be a good use of the machine shop my cousin works at.  If he can get a nice mold model made from the model he has now, I may be able to get a mold made for resin or injection molding for a lot cheaper than going elsewhere.  For injection molding, it would then just be an issue of finding a place that can do POM injection molding at a decent price.  I know there are some places near me, but I don't know what their rates are.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #819 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 22:56:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'd like to see what you did with left shift and enter key stabilizer setup, those MX keys have 3 posts where the stock Topre have only one?

They're just chilling on one stab atm.  I'll probably drill out the case and use some novatouch stabilizers I didn't clip when I get my next novatouch to finish my second hhkb.  Enter is wobbly to use.

So the left shift key and the enter key still has the hhkb sliders in them? because I noticed these two sliders are different than the rest. Smaller and without the stub. (at least on my type s)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #820 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:52:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'd like to see what you did with left shift and enter key stabilizer setup, those MX keys have 3 posts where the stock Topre have only one?

They're just chilling on one stab atm.  I'll probably drill out the case and use some novatouch stabilizers I didn't clip when I get my next novatouch to finish my second hhkb.  Enter is wobbly to use.

So the left shift key and the enter key still has the hhkb sliders in them? because I noticed these two sliders are different than the rest. Smaller and without the stub. (at least on my type s)

No, they have novatouch sliders that I clipped the tabs off of.  My next one, I'll leave the novatouch sliders whole and just drill a couple small holes in the case

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #821 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:02:57 »
No, they have novatouch sliders that I clipped the tabs off of.  My next one, I'll leave the novatouch sliders whole and just drill a couple small holes in the case

Thanks!
I want to do your mod to my hhkb too, I'm seriously considering getting a nova touch now  :thumb:

I read your previous posts and you said that the enter and shift keys are a little wobbly? Do you think your next mod when you drill holes into the hhkb will help prevent that?
Modify message

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #822 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:12:17 »
Is there any way to get 55g spring replacements for the Topre switches?  I tried it at PAX and it felt wonderful to type on but I wanted just a slightly heavier key press.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #823 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:13:43 »
Is there any way to get 55g spring replacements for the Topre switches?  I tried it at PAX and it felt wonderful to type on but I wanted just a slightly heavier key press.
The domes are what is different between weights, not the springs.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #824 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:26:46 »

Thanks!
I want to do your mod to my hhkb too, I'm seriously considering getting a nova touch now  :thumb:

I read your previous posts and you said that the enter and shift keys are a little wobbly? Do you think your next mod when you drill holes into the hhkb will help prevent that?
Modify message

I know it will, I later drilled holes in the hhkb pictured and it fixed the wobble right up.

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #825 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 17:26:19 »

Oh, really?  I'd wager a guess that being able to buy a different rubber layer isn't possible then.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #826 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 17:31:58 »

Oh, really?  I'd wager a guess that being able to buy a different rubber layer isn't possible then.

The cups are only salvageable from other topre boards.  For instance, my hhkb got its 55g cups from a rf88ub.

Offline Sempre

« Reply #827 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 17:51:33 »
The cups are only salvageable from other topre boards.  For instance, my hhkb got its 55g cups from a rf88ub.

55g hhkb with GMK caps,  you've got it all figured out huh  :cool:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #828 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 18:21:04 »
my RF is 45g domes from a 45g RF

it used to be 55g
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #829 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 18:50:38 »
@tjcaustin: Kudos for bravery and skill in transplanting Novatouch stems to a HHKB. I need to get a lot more surgical practice on lesser boards before attempting such a feat.

In the meantime, I am readying my new Kul ES-87 with mx clears for sale (I very much like the quality and features of the Kul, but I don't like mx clears), and having fun with my CM Novatouch.

It is interesting how the sound and feel of the Novatouch changes with different keycaps and with or without O-rings. Right now, I've installed another dye-sub thick PBT set. This one is from geek_feng: white alphas with blue legends, blue mods with black legends, white arrow keys with black legends, and the right control replaced with a light gray menu key with a blue legend. These caps fit much better than the loose-fitting ones from Imsto, and the board looks, sounds, and feels great.

My only remaining quibble with the CM Novatouch is the Fn key, which is fixed and cannot readily be reprogrammed or remapped. In contrast, the Kul has a handy DIP switch setting for changing the Fn key to menu, which can then be remapped using remapping software. With the Novatouch, I remapped right control as Fn; I can then map Fn to have various functions to my liking, but the board ends up with the original Fn key as a dead key. I hope that CM will take note of this and perhaps incorporate DIP switches into their next refresh of the Novatouch, or just leave out a Fn key and have a Menu key that could then be remapped using remapping software.

Other than the Fn key issue, I am liking the CM Novatouch more and more. To me, it does not sound or feel like any of my other Topre-switch keyboards (including my RF 87u 55g, RF 87u 45g, Leopold FC660C, or HHKB Pro 2), but it has a unique sound and feel of its own, which can be modulated by installing different keycaps with or without various types of O-rings. I definitely like the CM Novatouch better than any Cherry mx keyboard I have tried. It provides the unmatched tactile feedback of a light Topre switch with the ability to accommodate Cherry mx keycaps.

I will soon be selling all my Cherry mx boards, but keeping the Novatouch as the new home for my best Cherry mx keycaps. I've tried mx brown, blue, vintage black, green, and clear, and I have not liked any of them. I might still give reds and contemporary blacks a try before giving up on Cherry mx switches altogether. However, there is no question about liking Topre switches, including those in the CM Novatouch.

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #830 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 21:11:11 »
Shame :(

Offline skuko

« Reply #831 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 06:55:51 »
i need the novatouch in the EU ffs. :X any of the beta testers willing to send me theirs for a week or so? :)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #832 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:53:37 »
I am waiting until the price drops to buy one of these. Hopefully it goes down to at least $150 or so. Right now they are $239 on amazon in the US...

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #833 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:08:06 »
I am waiting until the price drops to buy one of these. Hopefully it goes down to at least $150 or so. Right now they are $239 on amazon in the US...

Then go direct.  There's a code in here somewhere for 10% off and they're retailing at $200.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #834 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 16:52:09 »
Yikes! They have increased the price. It started out at 200 USD on Amazon, and with Amazon Prime, it was free shipping.

I am typing on my Novatouch now. I like it, and it is fun to modulate its appearance, sound, and feel by outfitting it with various Cherry mx keycap sets and different O-rings; however, the range of Topre Realforce boards is $199 to $245, depending on options.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #835 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 16:58:28 »
Yikes! They have increased the price. It started out at 200 USD on Amazon, and with Amazon Prime, it was free shipping.

The Amazon price is around $190 right now, the $240 is a third-party seller.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline colomb

« Reply #836 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 20:11:36 »
Been using the Novatouch all week with IMSTO thick PBT caps and still enjoying it. Less thock than I was hoping though.

This evening, I added the o-rings that shipped with the board, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the result. The only other topre board I've used is an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. With the addition of these o-rings, I'd say the feel of the Novatouch resembles it much more now.

Offline deci

« Reply #837 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 22:38:09 »
Been using the Novatouch all week with IMSTO thick PBT caps and still enjoying it. Less thock than I was hoping though.

This evening, I added the o-rings that shipped with the board, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the result. The only other topre board I've used is an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. With the addition of these o-rings, I'd say the feel of the Novatouch resembles it much more now.

Yeah, the o-rings made it feel much more topre like to me as well. Glad it wasn't just in my head.

Offline skuko

« Reply #838 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 03:56:16 »

this is what i want to use it with, imsto thick PBT. can you please make a couple of photos? how is the fit of the caps? are they loose/tight?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #839 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 10:36:30 »

this is what i want to use it with, imsto thick PBT. can you please make a couple of photos? how is the fit of the caps? are they loose/tight?
Here is a pic of my NT w/ Imsto dye-sub thick PBT caps. They were a bit loose; in fact one of the caps was so loose that it would pop off when the key was released suddenly. I remedied this with a piece of Saran wrap on the keycap stem. Now I have another dye-sub PBT set from geek_feng on the board. These fit a bit more snugly with no keycaps so loose that they pop off. The sound and feel is fine without O-rings.
78823-0

Offline colomb

« Reply #840 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 23:12:18 »

When putting the IMSTO caps on, they feel looser than the stock ones, but no looser than when they were on my QFR. That being said, I can't feel any looseness when typing. I can reproduce what Hypersphere is talking about, but only if I remove my finger off a pressed key in an extremely exaggerated fashion.
78893-0

Offline Matter

« Reply #841 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 00:54:21 »
Where can I get some keycaps for the topre boards?

I'm ordering the HHKB soon and will be ordering the spare keycaps but just wondering if there are other places that i can order keycaps from?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #842 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:10:05 »

I'm ordering the HHKB soon and will be ordering the spare keycaps but just wondering if there are other places that i can order keycaps from?

There's two of me :eek:

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:11:58 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline feizor

« Reply #843 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 05:41:50 »

(Attachment Link)

Seeing doubles

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #844 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 09:46:03 »

The novatouch is the first topre board to use MX caps.

But widebasket on eBay had some realforce sets the other day.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #845 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:12:55 »

(Attachment Link)
A clear case of "Avatar Infringement" going on here.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #846 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:21:32 »

(Attachment Link)
LOL

Offline Matter

« Reply #847 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:40:51 »

(Attachment Link)
LOL

Removed my avatar! :P

I liked the clack which is why I used it.
Hope it doesn't offend anyone here! :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #848 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:51:16 »

(Attachment Link)
LOL

Removed my avatar! :P

I liked the clack which is why I used it.
Hope it doesn't offend anyone here! :)
I was just joking but I'm sure you'll find another Avatar, I forgot to say Welcome to Geekhack!!!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #849 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 11:21:09 »
I did a full teardown and photoshoot of the review sample I'm looking after before the passaround.

Some things:
1. It has the exact same stabilizer design as a normal realforce KB. I have photos of both.
2. Stabilizer rattle is about the same. Looking at the design, I can see what causes this and have a few ideas for mitigating it. Sadly it will have to wait until I can get a novatouch of my own.
3. I now know what that guy was talking about on the bottoming out thing. It's pretty tough on 45g to not bottom out. I will have to work on it a little I think.

Full review coming soon. Pictures are a little blurry as my phone was dying so I may have to re-shoot them.