Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186509 times)

Offline duhhey

Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:13:55 »
Looking forward to this  :)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 18:13:24 »
this is really looking nice! I just got in on the nova touch drop on MD so I will probably be in on this when it goes to GB

Offline Mrs. Butter

[IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 17:06:13 »
White for me as well! You convinced me it'll be better than going the dark gray powder coating road.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2016, 17:07:49 by Mrs. Butter »
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline axtran

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 22:41:19 »
I'm tempted to buy another one, especially with all of the updates that I'm seeing. I kind of want Red though ;)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline McPwned

« Reply #354 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 22:54:40 »
In for an enigma black.

Offline laggo

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 23:13:54 »
Would this be compatible with the MasterKeys Pro S?

Offline Reckless5040

« Reply #356 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 05:01:38 »

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems like they at least use similar cases.

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 05:54:56 »

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems like they at least use similar cases.

This has been discussed in the thread before. The answer unfortunately seems to be no.

Offline Reckless5040

« Reply #358 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 02:58:13 »
Ah, oh well. Still grabbing one for me nova  :D

Offline Kirfloof

« Reply #359 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 04:09:57 »
I'd like to think a nice dark bronze orange would look pretty epic paired up with Nantucket, but I suspect the big drop in the pound puts even the $200 version out of reach for me right now.  >:D

It's all looking very good though.

Offline bred

« Reply #360 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 06:50:38 »
I'd like to think a nice dark bronze orange would look pretty epic paired up with Nantucket, but I suspect the big drop in the pound puts even the $200 version out of reach for me right now.  >:D

It's all looking very good though.

+1,000

Offline Mike89914

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 08:54:14 »

This has been discussed in the thread before. The answer unfortunately seems to be no.

Sad :(

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:06:09 »
Count me in for an Enigma Black.

Kudos for all the hard work. I just found out this morning about this project and just read all the posts to make sure I don't miss a thing.
Pretty bummed about the anodized black look that couldn't be done  :( but maybe you'll get it right on the second GB.
Hope to hear of the GB soon!

P.S. It sort of resemblances this timeless beauty. More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/95Dc3

141548-0

Psst! Sell me your prototype! haha!
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:28:49 by merutz »

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline laggo

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 21:39:18 »

Sorry about that, I did search the thread of that but it didn't find anything. Prob the Tapatalk app being "awesome" as usual. Thanks for the clarification!

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #364 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 23:29:37 »
Any updates on this? I am definitely in, just cant decide on the black or white.
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline codywanks

« Reply #365 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 23:56:50 »
Hey all. I can definitely do a charcoal grey option too for no additional cost since I know multiple people will be interested. Let me work on getting a swatch. I just can't do single one-off colors without a fee because both the machine shop and the powder place charge me a fair amount in setup and handling fees to deal with color changes.

Waiting on this. I'd be in for 2x as per my earlier post if it turns out well. I've been staring at the Enigma Black pics for two days but simply can't bring myself to fall in love with it.  :(

Still waiting  :)

Offline Reckless5040

« Reply #366 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 05:32:06 »
I gotta agree man the finish on that black makes this GB DOA for me  :(

Offline codywanks

« Reply #367 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 06:02:37 »

Most people love it. We are in the minority.

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #368 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 11:19:14 »

I think that norbauer was considering a charcoal grey option due to popular demand.

That color would be worth considering if it's offered in the group buy.

« Reply #369 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 11:25:14 »
Any update? Has been 2+ weeks since your last post.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #370 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 11:43:16 »
Hey guys. Sorry for my slow replies the last week or two but I'm currently in the midst of prepping for an unexpected cross-country move (Boston to Silicon Valley) at the end of the month--which, I'm quite happy about. In any case, progress is still happening on the cases in the midst of all this chaos, and I'll try not to let it slow things down too much. :) Fortunately, all of the prototyping was done some time ago so I no longer need access to my workshop to finish this project and it's mostly just me chasing vendors up by email and waiting (impatiently) for samples--all of which I can easily do in the midst of my move.

The latest status is that I've been trying to work on a third color option for those who want it. I've looked at various grays and gotten all sorts of swatches, but most of them have some kind of blue or green color shift that seems odd to me. I think Tritan Grey from Prismatic Powders is a good potential option, so I got a physical sample made of it on thin sheet aluminum. These are just crappy iPhone pics, but I tried to show it in different lighting situations at contrasts next to each other (sun, shadow, incandescent).

This gray isn't quite as dark as some of the nearly-black example images shown earlier in the thread, so I wanted to get some feedback. I kind of like it since we already have a black option, however, and two sorta-kind-black colors seems redudant. It's somewhere between a medium gray and black, I'd say. But it's definitely not as dark as a typical charcoal color or similar.

This is the sample image that Prismatic provides of the color:

Let me know what you think! Should I go ahead and get a full case coated with this color so we can see it that way?

« Reply #371 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 13:16:34 »
Hey guys. Sorry for my slow replies the last week or two but I'm currently in the midst of prepping for an unexpected cross-country move (Boston to Silicon Valley) at the end of the month--which, I'm quite happy about. In any case, progress is still happening on the cases in the midst of all this chaos, and I'll try not to let it slow things down too much. :) Fortunately, all of the prototyping was done some time ago so I no longer need access to my workshop to finish this project and it's mostly just me chasing vendors up by email and waiting (impatiently) for samples--all of which I can easily do in the midst of my move.

The latest status is that I've been trying to work on a third color option for those who want it. I've looked at various grays and gotten all sorts of swatches, but most of them have some kind of blue or green color shift that seems odd to me. I think Tritan Grey from Prismatic Powders is a good potential option, so I got a physical sample made of it on thin sheet aluminum. These are just crappy iPhone pics, but I tried to show it in different lighting situations at contrasts next to each other (sun, shadow, incandescent).

Show Image

Show Image

This gray isn't quite as dark as some of the nearly-black example images shown earlier in the thread, so I wanted to get some feedback. I kind of like it since we already have a black option, however, and two sorta-kind-black colors seems redudant. It's somewhere between a medium gray and black, I'd say. But it's definitely not as dark as a typical charcoal color or similar.

Show Image

Let me know what you think! Should I go ahead and get a full case coated with this color so we can see it that way?

Looks good to me.

Offline thel

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 16:41:35 »
Thanks for the huge amount of time and work you are putting into this project!
I always thought the coating was non-glare, so i am kinda suprised it looks so glossy.

My personal favorite is still the plain (non-wrinkle) black powder coating. But i guess everyone prefers another colour option, which makes the selection rather tricky....
The Enigma look is just not my thing.

Anyways, it is nice to see the progress.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

« Reply #373 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 16:47:31 »
Is a textured white (or even matte) off the table?

Offline Reckless5040

« Reply #374 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 08:43:10 »
The Tristan Grey looks great to me! Thanks for adding it.  :thumb:

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 08:47:40 »
I seriously can't wait for this :)
thx for the new option on color!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline norbauer

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 13:14:02 »
OK. Cool, guys, and thanks for the feedback. I'm getting a sample made in Tritan Gray and we'll see how it looks!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 09:24:43 »

Kudos for all the hard work. I just found out this morning about this project and just read all the posts to make sure I don't miss a thing.
Pretty bummed about the anodized black look that couldn't be done  :( but maybe you'll get it right on the second GB.

P.S. It sort of resemblances this timeless beauty. More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/95Dc3

(Attachment Link)

By the way, I forgot to reply to this but I love that IBM! Is that a hammered finish on it?

Offline derzemel

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 09:42:08 »

(Attachment Link)

By the way, I forgot to reply to this but I love that IBM! Is that a hammered finish on it?

yeah, if you could find a gray finish like that IBM... damn, I am getting giddy only thinking about it :)))

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 17:05:43 »

Yep! It's hammered paint.

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline Firstoftheyear

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 19:55:39 »
I registered for Geekhack just to vote in this poll. I've wanted nothing more since I got my Novatouch than to have a white case! I'm excited for this GB. ;D

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #381 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:15:38 »
I also picked up a NovaTouch through MD. I'll be keeping an eye on this in case I fall in love with it.

Offline nateth

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 21:58:13 »
I also picked up a NovaTouch through MD. I'll be keeping an eye on this in case I fall in love with it.

I second this.

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:05:51 »
norbauer I'm still in for a case! Your work is so astonishing. I can not decide which color yet, looking forward to see the prototype of a grey case.

Offline Aricil

« Reply #384 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 12:31:16 »
Oh man, I'd be so stoked to have one of these! I'll have to go back through and actually read the thread besides the first couple lines of the OP, to see what the cost and time frame and everything is, but if this is less than like 75 or 100 bucks I'd totally be down to get one.
Professional amateur.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #385 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:14:51 »
Oh man, I'd be so stoked to have one of these! I'll have to go back through and actually read the thread besides the first couple lines of the OP, to see what the cost and time frame and everything is, but if this is less than like 75 or 100 bucks I'd totally be down to get one.

I don't think it will be anywhere near 75-100 dollars, probably gonna be a lot closer to 200. CNC cases tend to be expensive due to time taken to produce a single unit. Casting tends to be cheaper but you will need to sell thousands of units to recoup the cost of producing the casting moulds.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Aricil

« Reply #387 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 07:37:56 »

(Attachment Link)

Psst! Sell me your prototype! haha!

Omg why has nobody made a keycap set based off that board
Professional amateur.

Offline Aricil

« Reply #388 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 07:40:22 »

I don't think it will be anywhere near 75-100 dollars, probably gonna be a lot closer to 200. CNC cases tend to be expensive due to time taken to produce a single unit. Casting tends to be cheaper but you will need to sell thousands of units to recoup the cost of producing the casting moulds.

Oh... Well, darn. Maybe I'd get it still, but at that price I could buy 2 other boards I've been wanting. Bummer =-( Or I could get a case for my VA87M which I'd rather get as it's my daily driver. Oh well. I guess I could always think about it.
Professional amateur.

Offline euclydian

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 10:50:57 »
I'd be in for black and possibly white as well, can't wait.

Offline nateth

« Reply #390 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 08:40:17 »
I'm in for sure.

I finally got my Novatouch, and I honestly like it. (I loathed the RF 87U 55g, and I thought I'd hate the Novatouch.) It's got a great feel with GMK keycaps on it.

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #391 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 16:17:35 »
This is an awesome idea. I'd love to buy you coffee and pick your brain about the whole process you went through to get the prototypes made up just right. I have some experience with CNC machining in my younger days and a TON of CAD experience.

I digress, love the concept, make an already awesome board even better. Get it done around $200 and you'll have no shortage of punters. Even better if you can offer a range of anodizing colors.

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Butter

« Reply #392 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:45:20 »
I hope this isn't dead. I want a new case for my novatouch.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #393 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:47:58 »
Not dead at all. I just completed my cross country move earlier this week, and the latest round of sample cases including the requested gray color and risers are supposed to be finished on Monday and then on their way to me. You guys will be the first to know as soon as I have the latest round of samples and pics to show. :)

Offline Butter

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:46:14 »
Nice!, thanks for the update :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:59:37 »
Subbed! Most likely interested in a space station white, the enigma black is great looking too though.

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #396 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 00:54:07 »
Not dead at all. I just completed my cross country move earlier this week, and the latest round of sample cases including the requested gray color and risers are supposed to be finished on Monday and then on their way to me. You guys will be the first to know as soon as I have the latest round of samples and pics to show. :)
Woop woop. We're one step closer

Offline norbauer

« Reply #397 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 00:56:40 »
Indeed; I confirmed today that the new samples are on their way and should arrive to me by next week.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 12:00:26 »
What initially would be a price for enigma black case?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline norbauer

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 02:15:11 »
What initially would be a price for enigma black case?

Same as the originally planned MassDrop price: $200 + shipping.