Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186108 times)

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 04:02:14 »
The refurbished Novatouch US version is sold out in the EU store, the refurbished ISO version is available: http://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/refurbished/cooler-master-cm-storm-novatouch-tkl-iso-barebone/

I asked Cooler Master EU sales a month ago if they were expecting new shipments (I didn't know at the time that the Novatouch was EOLed). This was the response:
Officially the NovaTouch is end of life but for the online shop we will still get a few. At the moment however we don't know when yet.

I don't know if they were referring to the refurbished ISO keyboards that are available now.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 04:19:07 »
The refurbished Novatouch US version is sold out in the EU store, the refurbished ISO version is available: http://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/refurbished/cooler-master-cm-storm-novatouch-tkl-iso-barebone/

I asked Cooler Master EU sales a month ago if they were expecting new shipments (I didn't know at the time that the Novatouch was EOLed). This was the response:
Officially the NovaTouch is end of life but for the online shop we will still get a few. At the moment however we don't know when yet.

I don't know if they were referring to the refurbished ISO keyboards that are available now.

Thank you for the link, I didn't realise refurbished ones are in a separate section from the main shop
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #452 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 06:34:57 »
I also see that many shops still have them in stock (Netherlands) so for now there's still plenty of shops to choose from.
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline codywanks

« Reply #453 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 11:34:41 »
Too bad that the novatouch isn't available anymore.

End of production :-(

That's the news I've been getting in my neck of the woods as well. The local distro is down to their final three units.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #454 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 02:01:00 »
I would be down for one if this happens.

Offline nateth

« Reply #455 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 19:49:06 »
Norbauer, any update on those final samples?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #456 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 20:27:33 »
Too bad that the novatouch isn't available anymore.

End of production :-(

That's the news I've been getting in my neck of the woods as well. The local distro is down to their final three units.

Wow, really. That's sad news, I already own one and I like it a lot - it's definitely not the best topre around (I like my Leopold much better) but the fact it has key cap compatibility makes it so unique that it's a shame it's met end of production.

I wonder if they have a revamped version of it planned, don't really see the point in them fully discontinuing it if they don't.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #457 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 14:58:57 »
Topre announced a new keyboard, the Realforce RGB, which is supposed to come with MX-compatible stems.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #458 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 15:21:08 »
Topre announced a new keyboard, the Realforce RGB, which is supposed to come with MX-compatible stems.

I have zero use for RGB lighting (if that's what it stands for), not a big fan of Realforce's layouts and oldschool style cases usually either - much rather HHKB or Leopold. That said, mx compatibility is huge, guess I'll have to wait and see how that turns out!

Offline codywanks

« Reply #459 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:13:02 »
Wow, really. That's sad news, I already own one and I like it a lot - it's definitely not the best topre around (I like my Leopold much better) but the fact it has key cap compatibility makes it so unique that it's a shame it's met end of production.

I wonder if they have a revamped version of it planned, don't really see the point in them fully discontinuing it if they don't.

It would be a shame if CM and Topre stopped collaborating; I respect CM as a company as they are more in touch with the community & its needs compared to the other gaming brands.

It also doesn't hurt that the Novatouch (in my opinion) looks better than a RF87 while costing less money.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #460 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 16:42:27 »
It would be a shame if CM and Topre stopped collaborating; I respect CM as a company as they are more in touch with the community & its needs compared to the other gaming brands.

It also doesn't hurt that the Novatouch (in my opinion) looks better than a RF87 while costing less money.

Yea CM is my favourite "gaming brand" for sure - and I love the Novatouch, not the best topre switches out there as I've said but the layout and case are great. Not perfect, but definitely 100 times better than Realforce's (not as good as Leopold but close); RF's just looks too retro and clunky nowadays, I'm used to sleek cases and all that.

That said I'm sure a lot of people love the RF looks and dislike Novatouch, that said no one can argue against CM's availability (especially in Europe considering how ruthless VAT is) as opposed to all the Asian brands, hopefully they keep collaborating with Topre!

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #461 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:57:51 »
So, guys, why do you think Masterkeys wont fit this case?

I received my Pro S this morning, and comparing it to my old Rapid-i I honestly couldn't find any difference. Well, the rubber material is different, but mold, size, screw places etc all seemed to be the same.
I could swap plates/pcbs just fine, and even combine top/bottom housing from the two different boards. Is there something I am not noticing?

Here some pics: http://imgur.com/a/NyeeN

Offline nateth

« Reply #462 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 23:48:59 »

I received my Pro S this morning, and comparing it to my old Rapid-i I honestly couldn't find any difference. Well, the rubber material is different, but mold, size, screw places etc all seemed to be the same.
I could swap plates/pcbs just fine, and even combine top/bottom housing from the two different boards. Is there something I am not noticing?

Here some pics: http://imgur.com/a/NyeeN

Awesome pics and research. I don't know that anyone definitively thought it wouldn't fit. I think it was assumed that they wouldn't be using the same tooling.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:33:59 »

I haven't yet had access to the tenkeyless Masterkeys case, so I haven't necessarily pronounced judgement on that one. I only checked the design of the larger Masterkeys.

The last time I checked the tenkeyless hadn't been released yet, but the Novatouch and tenkeyless Masterkeys look very similar. I'm happy to order one and try it out. Is the "Maserkeys Pro S RGB Small" the correct one?

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:48:50 »

I haven't yet had access to the tenkeyless Masterkeys case, so I haven't necessarily pronounced judgement on that one. I only checked the design of the larger Masterkeys.

The last time I checked the tenkeyless hadn't been released yet, but the Novatouch and tenkeyless Masterkeys look very similar. I'm happy to order one and try it out. Is the "Maserkeys Pro S RGB Small" the correct one?

That's the one!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #465 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 04:02:05 »
Hey guys. I know that, partly due to my cross-country move and partly due to delays at the factory, this IC has been taking a long time to to turn into a GB and has had all sorts of confusing course changes. Now that I have some time, I wanted to step back and get some better feedback.

If you're serious about getting a case, please fill out this survey, as it will strongly inform my next steps. Consider it a way of registering your continued interest (if any)! :)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 04:37:42 by norbauer »

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 05:07:20 »
Hey guys. I know that, partly due to my cross-country move and partly due to delays at the factory, this IC has been taking a long time to to turn into a GB and has had all sorts of confusing course changes. Now that I have some time, I wanted to step back and get some better feedback.

If you're serious about getting a case, please fill out this survey, as it will strongly inform my next steps. Consider it a way of registering your continued interest (if any)! :)

So anodized finish is still not off the table completely?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #467 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 05:19:22 »

I'm doing this for all of us, so nothing is really off the table completely if people feel strongly enough. :) As with most things in manufacturing, though, there are always trade-offs of ano vs powder.

That is why I wanted to do a more proper survey (reminder: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8), since it's hard to tell how the majority of people feels just going by random forum replies and that color survey we did a while ago.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 05:48:16 by norbauer »

Offline McPwned

« Reply #468 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:02:40 »

I've filled out the form, though I have a couple comments:

1) I put that I would only be satisfied with Enigma Black, but that's only half-true as there are other colours I would probably get if it wasn't available; however, I would not get just any colour (mint green?  No thanks).
2) Did you see my previous comment about Enigma Black and SA caps?  Is there any concern of rubbing against the edges?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #469 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:11:41 »
Reminder if you're just landing on this post, please fill this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8

Did you see my previous comment about Enigma Black and SA caps?  Is there any concern of rubbing against the edges?

Sorry. That may have been during the period when I was moving and wasn't able to keep up with the flurry of posts very well. I actually don't have any SA caps at my disposal at the moment. I do have some DSA caps (my Galaxy Class set design), however, and I just tested them and they do not rub against the case when installed in the Enigma black version. If you want to send me a 1u SA key temporarily, I'd be happy to test it out with that profile.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #470 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:13:40 »
Reminder if you're just landing on this post, please fill out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8

I just ordered one of these. It arrives Friday. I'll let you know if it fits. :)

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #471 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:37:09 »
1) I put that I would only be satisfied with Enigma Black, but that's only half-true as there are other colours I would probably get if it wasn't available; however, I would not get just any colour (mint green?  No thanks).
Similar thing here. I put that I would only be satisfied with white but my actual preference would be clear anodized, then white, then (light) gray. I am not interested in black/red/green/blue or variations thereof.

« Reply #472 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:53:18 »

I'm doing this for all of us, so nothing is really off the table completely if people feel strongly enough. :) As with most things in manufacturing, though, there are always trade-offs of ano vs powder.

That is why I wanted to do a more proper survey (reminder: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8), since it's hard to tell how the majority of people feels just going by random forum replies and that color survey we did a while ago.

Cool. I'm up for anything really but I think most of us will agree that Anodized would be preferable (if you can find a partner that can do it well). Im willing to continue waiting and pay more if needed. Voted in poll.

Offline axtran

Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i! NEW POLL
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 11:28:26 »
Filled it out. I'm willing to buy one to support norbauer--definitely a great eye for this type of work and the board is going to just be absolutely phenomenal.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #474 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 11:32:36 »
In.

Offline Butter

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 12:03:47 »
You know I am in. That money been sitting on the side for months now lol.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #476 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 15:58:52 »
Thanks, everybody. There are 16 replies so far. Please keep them coming in.  ;D

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #477 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 16:02:30 »
Thanks, everybody. There are 16 replies so far. Please keep them coming in.  ;D

done, thanks!

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #478 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 16:17:19 »
Regrettably, I've got some life related expenditures that has popped up recently that are non-negotiable. I will hopefully have my **** together enough that I can still afford this, but I am not going to fill out the form in case I can't get it by the time you open the GB. Hopefully there's plenty of interests out there for you to fulfill MOQ. Sorry everyone!  :(

Also, the fact that this case might fit a Masterkeys S will surely boost its appeal.  :thumb:

@norbauer: I've got some SA caps lying around from a grab bag. I can send them to you if it's useful for testing. Let me know if you'd like them. Just a random couple of caps, nothing really special, but they are SA profile

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #479 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 16:35:19 »
I actually don't have any SA caps at my disposal at the moment. I do have some DSA caps (my Galaxy Class set design), however, and I just tested them and they do not rub against the case when installed in the Enigma black version. If you want to send me a 1u SA key temporarily, I'd be happy to test it out with that profile.

You moved to Silicon Valley, yeah? I live in the South Bay. I have a set of Carbon SA if you want to test it with a complete set.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #480 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 19:21:48 »
Survey complete

Offline norbauer

« Reply #481 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:52:01 »
Awesome, everyone—and thanks. Please keep those replies coming. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8

I'll give it another day or so and then share the results. Some really interesting feedback so far!

Offline Saviant

« Reply #482 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 08:35:31 »
Filled it in, really can't wait for this to start, got the Masterkey S and a Novatouch which I am wanting to use in a better case and kick my filco to the cupboard :)

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #483 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 07:22:26 »
I might be interested in this too :)

Offline poolside

« Reply #484 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 14:07:04 »
I might be in for a space white case. I skimmed quickly through the thread but could not find the diameter of the threaded holes of the screw-in feet. Will they be 4mm?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #485 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 19:23:52 »
Thanks, guys. Replies are still coming in pretty actively (please do if you haven't already: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8), so I'll hold off another day or so before sharing the conclusions of the survey.

I might be in for a space white case. I skimmed quickly through the thread but could not find the diameter of the threaded holes of the screw-in feet. Will they be 4mm?

They are actually M5x0.5. Is 4mm some kind of standard threading for case feet? I could reduce the threading to 4mm threads pretty easily, though that seems like it would maybe make the threaded stems a little flimsy. But if that would make the case compatible with other feet available, it would probably be worth the change.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #486 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 19:24:12 »
[accidental double post]

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #487 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 19:50:45 »
Thanks, guys. Replies are still coming in pretty actively (please do if you haven't already: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8), so I'll hold off another day or so before sharing the conclusions of the survey.

They are actually M5x0.5. Is 4mm some kind of standard threading for case feet? I could reduce the threading to 4mm threads pretty easily, though that seems like it would maybe make the threaded stems a little flimsy. But if that would make the case compatible with other feet available, it would probably be worth the change.

Hi, I just filled your form. Just in case, I chose to china manufacturing, because it's nearer to my country, which means lower cost, lower import tax, and comparable results. However, I will still support you even if you choose USA manufacturing. Thanks
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline norbauer

« Reply #488 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 02:27:28 »
I will provide some more info from the survey results soon, but I have identified one potential area of particular concern I thought I should mention now.

Right now, more than 50% of survey respondents appear to be outside the USA. I have now shipped two of these cases outside of the US (one to Europe and another Asia) and I have found that USPS Priority Mail International in both instances cost around $50, with First Class International being only a few dollars less. The package is nearly 4 pounds and roughly 19x9x5 inches.

Does anybody know of a less expensive way of shipping these that still provides delivery confirmation? A fair number of international respondents said that $50 shipping costs would make them reconsider buying. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to handle or address this?

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 02:56:32 »
Filled in the form. Good luck man! I'll take whatever comes out of this, no matter what the results will be.
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

« Reply #490 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 09:06:31 »
I will provide some more info from the survey results soon, but I have identified one potential area of particular concern I thought I should mention now.

Right now, more than 50% of survey respondents appear to be outside the USA. I have now shipped two of these cases outside of the US (one to Europe and another Asia) and I have found that USPS Priority Mail International in both instances cost around $50, with First Class International being only a few dollars less. The package is nearly 4 pounds and roughly 19x9x5 inches.

Does anybody know of a less expensive way of shipping these that still provides delivery confirmation? A fair number of international respondents said that $50 shipping costs would make them reconsider buying. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to handle or address this?

I doubt you'll find anything cheaper. Even if you did I would much rather prefer to have it sent by USPS.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #491 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 11:46:20 »
Just saw the survey and filled it out. Fingers crossed you can make the majority of potential buyers happy enough to make this work!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline MarvinMerlin

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 16:15:34 »
Heck yes. I don't care if the board isn't made any more I need this.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #493 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 16:21:43 »
The last time I looked into shipping from the US, USPS was the cheapest feasible option for non-commercial customers. Frankly, after all the import duties and VAT, the 50 $ for shipping are the least of my concerns...  :cool:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #494 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 16:29:46 »
The last time I looked into shipping from the US, USPS was the cheapest feasible option for non-commercial customers. Frankly, after all the import duties and VAT, the 50 $ for shipping are the least of my concerns...  :cool:

Concerning taxes, I'm going to list these at a value of around $45 when I ship internationally rather than the price paid. I think this is totally legit because the only reason these cost so much is that they're being made in a very small volume as effectively custom pieces, so we're really paying most of that money for professional and machining services. If you look at the cost of materials and what these would cost if they were made at large scale as normal consumer products, I think $45 is a totally valid and defensible amount to list for customs purposes. I think this will keep us out of trouble (versus listing these as "gifts" with a value of $1 or something), but without folks having to pay needlessly exorbitant import duties.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #495 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 16:41:43 »
Cool, I appreciate that!

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #496 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 19:42:43 »
I'm still learning Mechanical Keyboards, so bear with me on the dumb questions:
This is the case only right? I would still need a standard CM Novatouch tenkeyless to swap into this?

Would it function fine without the top half of the casing? I really like the way it looks here in the attached image from OP but would be curious if there are any unintuitive reasons that it wouldn't function well like this

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 21:05:23 »
I'm still learning Mechanical Keyboards, so bear with me on the dumb questions:
This is the case only right? I would still need a standard CM Novatouch tenkeyless to swap into this?

Yes, this is for the case only. You'd still need to purchase a Novatouch or Rapid-i separately. Note that the Novatouch is now a discontinued product. There is remaining stock floating around various vendor inventories, but quantities are only going to decrease.

Offline McPwned

« Reply #498 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 21:58:45 »

Concerning taxes, I'm going to list these at a value of around $45 when I ship internationally rather than the price paid. I think this is totally legit because the only reason these cost so much is that they're being made in a very small volume as effectively custom pieces, so we're really paying most of that money for professional and machining services. If you look at the cost of materials and what these would cost if they were made at large scale as normal consumer products, I think $45 is a totally valid and defensible amount to list for customs purposes. I think this will keep us out of trouble (versus listing these as "gifts" with a value of $1 or something), but without folks having to pay needlessly exorbitant import duties.

Regarding shipping to Canada, using USPS is generally the superior choice as the couriers tend to hit us with big COD charges (UPS especially).

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #499 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 01:37:06 »
Just filled out the form! I'm glad I came across this thread! I've been MIA around these parts for a few months. Looking forward to this norbauer!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk