Author Topic: What switch do you type fastest on?  (Read 40292 times)

Offline rxc92

Re: What switch do you type fastest on?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 17:04:52 »
I am definitely fastest on MX browns, or any other variant of it. Topre actually slows me down quite a bit so I don't know why they're hailed as "typist's dream switch" or whatever. They feel nice, sure, but the initial resistance of the domes can be jarring at high speeds, in my opinion.

I type fastest on Topres myself, and haven't had issues typing at above 180 words/min on it. It has to do with what you're used to of course; but for me, it is a dream switch.

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 17:43:34 »
I am definitely fastest on MX browns, or any other variant of it. Topre actually slows me down quite a bit so I don't know why they're hailed as "typist's dream switch" or whatever. They feel nice, sure, but the initial resistance of the domes can be jarring at high speeds, in my opinion.

I type fastest on Topres myself, and haven't had issues typing at above 180 words/min on it. It has to do with what you're used to of course; but for me, it is a dream switch.

I can and have hit 180+ on topre myself, too. It just didn't feel as effortless as doing the same thing on MX based switches, for some reason haha.

Funny how much typing technique affects your switch preference.
actualglacier on youtube

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 04:17:04 »
180? Wow, guys. Does that require 'just' moving your fingers faster, or is there more to the technique? I've been typing all my life and can't break 100. I've had younger friends hitting 120 without any specific training, and I know a lot of court reporters are around that level, but 180 blows my mind.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 04:44:26 »
180? Wow, guys. Does that require 'just' moving your fingers faster, or is there more to the technique? I've been typing all my life and can't break 100. I've had younger friends hitting 120 without any specific training, and I know a lot of court reporters are around that level, but 180 blows my mind.

Court reporters type using chord-based stenography, which creates words from a combination of two-three keypresses on a specialized keyboard. This means that they can produce words at well over 200 words per minute when well trained, but their real typing speed is much lower (which is obviously a good thing, as they type for hours on end). 

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 06:43:53 »

Plover is the way to go if you want to get 180 wpm

I am definitely fastest on MX browns, or any other variant of it. Topre actually slows me down quite a bit so I don't know why they're hailed as the "typist's dream switch" or whatever. They feel nice, sure, but the initial resistance of the domes can be jarring at high speeds, in my opinion.

IDK but the pressure of mx reds feels uncomfortable. I want a true linear
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2019, 20:44:19 by iamtootallforthis »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 08:24:35 »
I am definitely fastest on MX browns, or any other variant of it. Topre actually slows me down quite a bit so I don't know why they're hailed as the "typist's dream switch" or whatever. They feel nice, sure, but the initial resistance of the domes can be jarring at high speeds, in my opinion.

IDK but the pressure of mx reds feels uncomfortable. I want a true linear

The "pressure"?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 11:19:29 »
Seems almost everyone likes MX browns for typing fast, and Topre for typing feel.
Since those are pretty light switches, I don't see myself using those as I would probably make too many mistakes.

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 14:58:54 »
Seems almost everyone likes MX browns for typing fast, and Topre for typing feel.
Since those are pretty light switches, I don't see myself using those as I would probably make too many mistakes.

Topre being light is a little misleading. With the way the bump is up top the weighting feels heavier than advertised. Plus since it has the top bump to get through, it sort of makes it tougher to accidentally actuate other keys, when compared to MX.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 19:17:33 »
Yeah, probably because you have to go through the bump every time you want to actuate the switch.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:28:23 »
Yeah, probably because you have to go through the bump every time you want to actuate the switch.

The bump feels very inconvieient. I hate tactile

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 07:16:39 »
I haven't measured, but subjectively ... I believe I type faster when the keyboard is more silent --- such as when I'm wearing headphones! Then it doesn't feel like I'm banging things together.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 07:18:36 »

The bump feels very inconvieient. I hate tactile

So what is the "pressure" in MX reds? And why are they not true linear? Or are you just saying things to up your post count like usual?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:14:57 »
Hi glacier, why do you have 74 wpm on your badge?  :p

Offline ollir_

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 13:43:47 »
I've kept some records on typing speeds on different switches because I was curious if a switch really made any difference for me.

Some of the boards that I've saved the top typing speeds for haven't had as much use as others so they also have less typing tests typed, which is probably why they don't have as high WPM as those that I've used more often. Typing on any of my boards I've never felt like the switches held me back.

Anyway, here are some results, these were typed in 10ff and don't include many results with other switches (no linear switches are on the list because of this, but I've typed similar speeds with MX blacks and linear 725's) because I've started the book-keeping only relatively recently.

127 WPM - Topre 45g (Leopold FC660C)
126 WPM - Topre variable (Realforce 105)
123 WPM - SKCM white (Acer 6012)
123 WPM - SMK 2nd gen. MX mount (VTech)
119 WPM - SKCM black (Dell AT102W)
119 WPM - Matias clicky (Matias Tactile Pro)

The only keyboard (not switch) that I can't easily go too fast on (> 105WPM) is Apple M0118 because of the strict 2KRO. Don't know if it's the board or converter or what but 2KRO on that board really means 2KRO on ANY combination of keys. If you have two pressed, you can't have third until you release one.
Otherwise I think the SKCM salmons would be up there just like other switches.

« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2019, 06:27:35 by ollir_ »

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:32:05 »
Hi glacier, why do you have 74 wpm on your badge?  :p

Because that is how fast I can type! (thai)
actualglacier on youtube

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:53:05 »

That's of particular individual interest to me, as I'm a professional translator. On the average brainy/creative project typing comfort is everything. On those days I love tactile switches. However, I also get a lot of a extremely urgent projects where you're supposed to render an accurate and readable translation, but there's no overthinking word choice and sentence structure for the best possible effect — just good is enough, doesn't have to be the best-edited stuff you can produce on your skill level. For the latter kind of projects, which sometimes mean processing 10–15K words per day, feedback is more onerous than helpful. Any typos will be highlighted by the editing software, and you could live without the sensation of switch springs kicking back, which produces a lot of not fatigue as much as a sensation of battered palms and fingers. I'll need to get a linear board to verify my hypothesis that I would be able to type more, faster, with less trauma, during those extremely fast-paced projects, on a linear board. Just can't decide between reds and speeds/silvers. Blacks I know would be too heavy (already tried).

So basically I could use blues for lazier days, browns for tired days, and reds for extreme days.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:29:41 »
You could get Gateron Yellow. They are at the midpoint of red and black.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 19:06:29 »
Honestly I think I type fastest on buckling springs.  You get the feedback there without any sort of 'bump'.  They're essentially linear until the spring buckles at which point there's a drop but unlike basically every other clicky/tactile switch type there isn't a bump or anything preceding that.  It's like you jump from one linear force curve to a lighter linear force curve.

Of course the Model M is pretty heavy so something like a Model F would probably be better for fast typing.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 20:02:05 »
The bump is fine but sometimes its too strong like the devestator ii
Still ahead on my choice.
So what is the "pressure" in MX reds? And why are they not true linear? Or are you just saying things to up your post count like usual?

I don't like the feel of the spring when you slowly press down , i consider any true linear to not have that feel.

"you could get gateron yellow"

yep , i'll consider that

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 14:37:03 »

I don't like the feel of the spring when you slowly press down , i consider any true linear to not have that feel.

yep , i'll consider that

It's objectively a true linear. It has no tactility. Just because you dont like the weighting, doesn't make it not a linear.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 12:10:21 »
I type best on Buckling springs, or Cherry Blues, the click is very satisfying to me, and hearing it even faster makes me enjoy it more.

I do believe I type a little faster on Cherry Blues, but I'm certainly more accurate on Buckling Springs, so I'd say that takes it for me.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 20:03:12 »

yep , i'll consider that

It's objectively a true linear. It has no tactility. Just because you dont like the weighting, doesn't make it not a linear.

oohh i see

It seems like i am trying so hard just to reach my bizzare goal of 150 wpm... everybody's getting faster but me. I have never won a 10fastfingers competition even once.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:10:58 by Sintpinty »

Offline dabeshu

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 10:13:42 »
Light, lubed MX linears

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 05:37:42 »
My real-wolrld experience and stats from 10fastfingers are entirely contrary to what I expected.

Yes, a **** keyboard slows me down and accuracy drops significantly, but decent boards are all pretty similar for me. I hover around 80-90wpm real-world and around 130wpm test/peak whether it's on 45g Topres, BKE Extremes, MX Silent Reds or T1s. Accuracy is slightly higher with the heavier and more tactile switches but not dramatically so.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 10:35:29 »
I've never achieved more than 100 wpm on any mechanical switch — only on a rubber dome. I tend to top out at 90-something on mechanicals and somewhere in between on scissors.

I suspect I may be going above 100 in short bursts when typing on blues and just not paying attention to speed.

Ah i see, you have a lot to learn then.

Maybe that was a joke? Some people just type a lot faster than others might. I have never done a speed test, but I think (and other say) that I type pretty fast. I can't say that I really learned much of anything at all after having initially learning how to properly touch type in middle school, even though I type much faster than I used to then.

I think it just comes down to how much people type, and what sort of typing they may be doing. I played one hell of a lot of Runescape back in the day, and there's no voice chat system on that game. Being an MMO, there was a lot of typing of messages involved, the entire time you're online.

I'm not sure what switches I type fastest on. I would have to start using one of these speed tests some time. I do feel that once I started using Kailh Box thick clicks that my typing speed and accuracy has possibly diminished on other switches, with a lot of the force and time going into slamming the caps into the plate and sort of recoiling from it. It does feel to me like linears of all kinds are slower than other types for me. I have basically always slammed reds into the plate with force, and with blacks I would often not even register a key press because of their weight. That may have changed a bit now, and something more intermediate may work out better. I'm sure it also doesn't help that the only time I actually use linears for more than 15 minutes is when I'm on my gaming rig, which I have used less and less at all lately. I don't normally type on tactiles at all, so that would take some testing and I only have a Cherry MX Brown board in that regard.

I also don't use rubber domes enough to say for sure, but they always seemed relatively fast for me. Laptop scissor switches may be the fastest I have ever typed, but some of that may just be perception.

Before Box Navies, I couldn't bring myself to type on membrane buckling springs at all for more than just light browsing. They were too stiff, and at least one of my Model Ms is very unpredictable (for now). I should revisit that now. Capacitive buckling spring was awkward for me at first, but then I was typing away fairly rapidly on an F AT once I got more accustomed to the layout and switch feel. It must have been very comparable to Cherry MX Blue once I got used to it.

As much as I love blue alps, I can't say that I have typed as fast as I have on say, Cherry MX Blue with them. Maybe not even Cherry MX Red.

So, until/unless I ever compare typing tests, something like this, possibly:

Cheap scissor switches > Box Navy/Jade > Cherry MX Blue/Capacitive BS > Cherry MX Red > Blue Alps> Cherry MX Black

I do think the weighting of Box Navies is throwing a wrench in that though, especially since I haven't actually typed on a lot of those again since having started using them.

Offline Adieu910

• Crazy about Typing
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 16:50:49 »
I only really like tactile switches. I think I can type almost as equally as fast on any keyboard including membrane.

I've been using MX Browns for the past 4 months. Everything else would be a 5 or 10 wpm decrease.

MX Browns - 170 wpm
Kailh Box Browns - 160 wpm

At lower speeds like 130 or 140 on difficult texts, it'd be around the same. In day to day typing, it's probably all the same unless they really bothered me. Obviously, I have better accuracy on mechanical, but I remedy this on short travel laptop keyboards by bottoming out really hard. The problem I have with high profile keycaps is that my fingers get stuck in between the keys sometimes when I type really fast or when I forget that I can't slide—moving my finger horizontally without lifting it after the initial key press for letter combinations like "ed". That probably makes a minute difference.

Ducky One 2                   Klippe Alps64

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 21:13:26 »
I only really like tactile switches. I think I can type almost as equally as fast on any keyboard including membrane.

I've been using MX Browns for the past 4 months. Everything else would be a 5 or 10 wpm decrease.

MX Browns - 170 wpm

At lower speeds like 130 or 140 on difficult texts, it'd be around the same. In day to day typing, it's probably all the same unless they really bothered me. Obviously, I have better accuracy on mechanical, but I remedy this on short travel laptop keyboards by bottoming out really hard. The problem I have with high profile keycaps is that my fingers get stuck in between the keys sometimes when I type really fast or when I forget that I can't slide—moving my finger horizontally without lifting it after the initial key press for letter combinations like "ed". That probably makes a minute difference.

Faster with MX Browns, interesting. I believe in your new member post you said you got rid of the Box Brown board too? Do you prefer the Cherry switches overall?

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 08:07:02 »
67G Zealeos

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 10:34:47 »
Honestly I think I type fastest on buckling springs.  You get the feedback there without any sort of 'bump'.  They're essentially linear until the spring buckles at which point there's a drop but unlike basically every other clicky/tactile switch type there isn't a bump or anything preceding that.  It's like you jump from one linear force curve to a lighter linear force curve.

Of course the Model M is pretty heavy so something like a Model F would probably be better for fast typing.

Really want to get my hands on one of those. N Key rollover, AND excellent keyfeel! :) I don't even mind getting a F XT as I don't even use arrow keys (I like to scroll, because I think it has finer movement ability) nor do I even touch the numpad, I can touch type numbers.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:45:11 »
Really want to get my hands on one of those. N Key rollover, AND excellent keyfeel! :) I don't even mind getting a F XT as I don't even use arrow keys (I like to scroll, because I think it has finer movement ability) nor do I even touch the numpad, I can touch type numbers.

The arrow keys are probably amongst the most normal things about the F XT. The stepped keys, the placement of the modifiers, the vertical enter key (if you're used to ANSI layout). It will be a challenge to type on without looking, even if you use hot glue or something to add bumps to the home keys. I tried at work, for one day. I took it home the same day. Even the F AT takes some acclimation.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 12:46:53 »
I remember back early in my mechanical keyboard discovery (I blue-pilled hard on the rubber dome era and abandoned loud clicky switches for a long time) that I was really annoyed that when I would try a serious type test that I would be about 5-10 WPM faster on an 'annoying to type on normally' scissor switch Apple board than I was on any of my mechs.  After a while of doing these a/b comparisons, I realized that in the end I chose a "quality" switch more for subjective values than complete objective ones.  If I wanted to achieve world record kind of typing speed (or actually max myself out), id focus on getting used to a switch with less travel distance.  Since most mechs involve more travel distance than your average keyboard, id argue that when speed is a primary concern, this is a disadvantage.  In the end you will probably type fastest on a keyboard that you know inside and out, but doing an a/b with your favorite keyboard vs one you swap out hoping to lose to is unfair.  You might trip yourself up if you go from your favorite board to some low travel scissor board, but imo getting intimate with a board of minimal travel distance will allow you to break your own speed records on your favorite mech.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 17:00:46 »

The arrow keys are probably amongst the most normal things about the F XT. The stepped keys, the placement of the modifiers, the vertical enter key (if you're used to ANSI layout). It will be a challenge to type on without looking, even if you use hot glue or something to add bumps to the home keys. I tried at work, for one day. I took it home the same day. Even the F AT takes some acclimation.

I am used to Asian layout now, because I have been typing on a KB5161 for the last 6 months. I would rather have a smaller enter key and a larger backspace (ANSI forever!!), but hey. It can't be THAT bad, can it?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 17:30:25 »
I am used to Asian layout now, because I have been typing on a KB5161 for the last 6 months. I would rather have a smaller enter key and a larger backspace (ANSI forever!!), but hey. It can't be THAT bad, can it?

I don't know. I got the thing without a cable and spliced in a nice MIDI cable to replace it, and I still spent more time on fixing it than I ever did on typing with it. Since the steps on the caps are designed the way that they are primarily to prevent binding without the need for stabilizers, they're not exactly in places that would be considered the most ergonomic/usual place for modern typists to reach for. Maybe it couldn't be too terrible to tough it out and try to completely retrain the muscle memory of your pinkies. I imagine that would also become a problem when hopping to other more modern boards again though as well.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 17:41:43 »

I don't know. I got the thing without a cable and spliced in a nice MIDI cable to replace it, and I still spent more time on fixing it than I ever did on typing with it. Since the steps on the caps are designed the way that they are primarily to prevent binding without the need for stabilizers, they're not exactly in places that would be considered the most ergonomic/usual place for modern typists to reach for. Maybe it couldn't be too terrible to tough it out and try to completely retrain the muscle memory of your pinkies. I imagine that would also become a problem when hopping to other more modern boards again though as well.

Yeah, I am thinking of saving up to get a new production F so that I won't have to deal with cleaning, restoring, and, frankly, typing on such a weird layout.

Offline Adieu910

• Crazy about Typing
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 01:31:36 »

MX Browns - 170 wpm

Faster with MX Browns, interesting. I believe in your new member post you said you got rid of the Box Brown board too? Do you prefer the Cherry switches overall?

Yeah, I needed money for the alps and zilent build. Cherry switches are all right. The 5g heavier actuation force on the box browns and 60% might have played a role in being slower, but they were satisfying. I like them equally. I’m thinking of buying a realforce 87u 45g so I’ll update on how fast I’ll type on the “typist’s dream” switch.

Ducky One 2                   Klippe Alps64

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 06:14:43 »
Yeah, I am thinking of saving up to get a new production F so that I won't have to deal with cleaning, restoring, and, frankly, typing on such a weird layout.

The XT IS a weird layout, if I type on it for about a day, I can adjust for the worst of it, but it's still lost productivity, I tend to have it connected to machines that aren't as important, or ones that I don't type as much on. I keep a more normal layout available for other machines.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 13:02:34 »

The XT IS a weird layout, if I type on it for about a day, I can adjust for the worst of it, but it's still lost productivity, I tend to have it connected to machines that aren't as important, or ones that I don't type as much on. I keep a more normal layout available for other machines.

If you don't want it, can I have it :D :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 13:56:34 »

Be patient and find a deal. I can't imagine many of these XT boards people keep trying to sell for $200-300 are selling at all. I got mine for something like $45 shipped with the cut cable, a year or so ago.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 16:16:51 »

Be patient and find a deal. I can't imagine many of these XT boards people keep trying to sell for $200-300 are selling at all. I got mine for something like $45 shipped with the cut cable, a year or so ago.

Wow, that is truly cheap. For something of that quality, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Did you get it off of ebay, or mechmarket?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 17:36:10 »
Wow, that is truly cheap. For something of that quality, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Did you get it off of ebay, or mechmarket?

Ebay. We threw some offers back and forth, which also helps.

Offline Erak606

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:15:36 »
On lubed Topre I get around 130-140 wpm, then it would be Zilents 62g, then Gateron Inks.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:47:02 »

Ebay. We threw some offers back and forth, which also helps.

Cool, thanks Male.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 13:04:17 »

If I should ever make enough money, I'd love to be able to say yes to something like this someday, but today is not that day.

I do however keep my ear to the ground on deals on Ebay, and if I find a good enough deal, I can pass that info on to you if you'd be interested. (Also a price range you'd like to spend if you are seriously interested.)

That right there is a shining deal, I got my Bigfoot for 79 from Unicomp, but I doubt I'll ever see something as amazing as 45 for an XT, cord or not.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2020, 17:25:21 by iamtootallforthis »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 18:05:25 »
On lubed Topre I get around 130-140 wpm, then it would be Zilents 62g, then Gateron Inks.

Tactile and clicks best switches

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 10:49:03 »
Clicky switches are my favorite. The louder the better, but they have to sound good to be good. The only tactiles I've tried are MX brown, but they feel like the bump was an accident, rather than put there on purpose.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:29:41 »
Clicky switches are my favorite. The louder the better, but they have to sound good to be good. The only tactiles I've tried are MX brown, but they feel like the bump was an accident, rather than put there on purpose.

Agreed

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 11:21:44 »
Back to topic. I type around the same speed on light and heavy switches. Right now, I am using MX red, and they are light switches for sure. I don't know about typing speed, but I think I would type faster on heavier switches, around the Gateron Yellow weighting.

Offline Eike

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 12:38:37 »
MX browns: 80-90 wpm

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:22:42 »

Do you find yourself typing faster on linear variants of the same weighting, for example, reds? I can't feel any tactility when I actuate the switch, so I want to know what exactly makes MX brown so good for speed typing.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:52:22 »

Do you find yourself typing faster on linear variants of the same weighting, for example, reds? I can't feel any tactility when I actuate the switch, so I want to know what exactly makes MX brown so good for speed typing.

It's widely felt that tactile switches are superior for typing, as you can rely on the switch to tell you that you've actuated a switch instead of relying on your mind several times per second; I'm personally much more accurate and quick on a rubber dome than I ever was on MX Red switches, despite having used them for months consistently. 
This is not the case for absolutely everyone, I'm sure, but I don't know of any very fast typist (i.e. consistently over 170 wpm or so) that uses linear switches. Most I see use rubber domes or tactile mechanical switches, clicky is rare and linear probably nonexistent; I myself was never able to get over 90% of my top speed with linear switches, probably because the error rate was notably higher.