Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 426143 times)

Offline Altis

Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1850 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 14:37:39 »

I use pencil mostly anyways (engineering). I've recently found 0.4mm mechanical pencils, which are pretty well perfect. I also use 0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9, for various purposes.

I haven't seen any serious engineering done outside of CAD for 30 yrs..  except red pencil markups by the seniors, hahahaha

I guess the architect , model builder guy still draws and uses pencil..  But he's known as engineering-lite around the office..

hahahaha

I'm talking about pencil VS pen.

For doing math and solving problems by hand, pencil is the way to go.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1851 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 18:40:26 »
Not to mention, there are the whole artistic and tactile aspects to using different writing instruments.  It's not all about efficiency all the time.  I sketch with pencil and fountain pens beyond writing.

Agreed about solving problems by hand in pencil.  Though I've wasted a fair amount of printer paper on many-line integrals using a skinny felt-tip marker pen too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 April 2018, 18:42:03 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1852 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 13:07:28 »
Resurrecting this thread as handwriting only requires one hand so it's something I can actually do - please see pictures.

205247-0205249-1
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1853 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 14:14:36 »
After four months of not using them, I'm using fountain pens now more frequently at work. Had to give them proper cleanings!

I was in a meeting the other day and someone was using a Meisterstuck. I asked him about it and he said it was an heirloom. I tried to engage in a discussion of fountain pens but after he changed topics too soon I realized his knowledge didn't extend beyond what was in his hand. Still, it was a beaut, and now I bring in my pens during meetings!

Offline Larken

« Reply #1854 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 21:59:01 »
Resurrecting this thread as handwriting only requires one hand so it's something I can actually do - please see pictures.

Nice pens. Always liked them Parker Duofold/Vacumatics. Fude de Mannen is an unusual choice unless you like it for drawing or write asian characters.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1855 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 22:46:59 »

PPS I also need to work on spacing between words and sticking closer to the line.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1856 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 23:31:35 »
Show Image

PPS I also need to work on spacing between words and sticking closer to the line.

Some of the words appear a bit shaky as well.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1857 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 23:34:29 »
Show Image

Some of the words appear a bit shaky as well.

Usually has to do with whether I try using my ornate or actual handwriting and sometimes swapping mid-word.
When going very slowly to focus on the ornate-ness, shaky hand syndrome can have devastating effects on curves especially. Once I get into it and use quicker strokes, those shakes tend to disappear.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1858 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 04:54:45 »

Nice pens. Always liked them Parker Duofold/Vacumatics. Fude de Mannen is an unusual choice unless you like it for drawing or write asian characters.

Thanks, I thought when buying an Asian pen I should get a matching nib and it's possible to do some nice standard letters with it but sadlly I'm not capable.  Bought it long ago (2011!) intending to improve but never have...  Short of learning to write left handed (which I can't do at the moment) so all muscle memory is bypassed I'm not sure how to proceed - squared paper and back to primary school style writing a line of 'Aa Bb Cc...'?  I always want to skip to the advanced aspects in whatever I do but it just doesn't work here, my pen control is awful as evident in my inconsist samples.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Larken

« Reply #1859 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 05:37:55 »

Thanks, I thought when buying an Asian pen I should get a matching nib and it's possible to do some nice standard letters with it but sadlly I'm not capable.  Bought it long ago (2011!) intending to improve but never have...  Short of learning to write left handed (which I can't do at the moment) so all muscle memory is bypassed I'm not sure how to proceed - squared paper and back to primary school style writing a line of 'Aa Bb Cc...'?  I always want to skip to the advanced aspects in whatever I do but it just doesn't work here, my pen control is awful as evident in my inconsist samples.

It's not that bad, your current handwriting is perfectly legible.

I've found that the key to improving your handwriting is to slow down. Make deliberate, conscious strokes, focus on getting the strokes and letter joins (if doing cursive) properly done. Fast, repetitive practice without conscious attention paid usually does nothing except reinforce old bad habits. It'll take a while but your muscle memory eventually gets retrained, after which you can pick up speed again. It's little like learning how to type - go for accuracy/quality over speed first. Speed comes later.

If you find it difficult to separate your daily scribbling from focused practiced sessions, picking up a calligraphy-type hand might help to put you in a different mental space. Looking at the obliques you have on your Parkers, I'd recommend you look at something like Chancery Italic.

The habits and control gained from the slower paced calligraphy practice will eventually seep over into your regular hand.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1860 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 06:12:45 »
And that's half the problem - I don't need to improve.  But looking at any join the height and spacing are completely random even in the same same session with the same pen and letters are just as bad - for example my lower case e sometimes has a hole in and sometimes doesn't and the tail of my g is sometimes flat and sometimes curves upwards.  'Not bad' is not the same as 'good' while I aspire to 'exceptional' - Frosty's getting there.

I never have to write so the confusion between learning and scribbling is not going to be a problem, I will look for a new 'font' that appeals and start slow.  Thanks for the tips :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1861 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 22:00:00 »
And that's half the problem - I don't need to improve.  But looking at any join the height and spacing are completely random even in the same same session with the same pen and letters are just as bad - for example my lower case e sometimes has a hole in and sometimes doesn't and the tail of my g is sometimes flat and sometimes curves upwards.  'Not bad' is not the same as 'good' while I aspire to 'exceptional' - Frosty's getting there.

I never have to write so the confusion between learning and scribbling is not going to be a problem, I will look for a new 'font' that appeals and start slow.  Thanks for the tips :thumb:

Looks good,  I had alot of trouble with straight flex nib until I gave up and oriented the paper in angle of the italic.

This helped the flex come out more evenly and with tighter control.

Don't own any obliques atm, broke my previous one. hesitant to re-open pen shopping..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1862 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 20:34:09 »
Show Image

I was hoping that if I got a fountain pen (currently have around a dozen of various types), it might improve my writing.

Something like this was what I had in mind.

It did not :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1863 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 21:15:06 »
Show Image

I was hoping that if I got a fountain pen (currently have around a dozen of various types), it might improve my writing.

Start writing real letters to people..

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1864 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 21:17:04 »
Show Image

Start writing real letters to people..

Do the people have to be real?
Do they have to be 3D?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1866 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 12:21:10 »
Are there any fountain pens that don't get thinner towards the nib?  Lightly gripping (supposedly a good thing) a shiny section just means my fingers slip towards the nib which is getting old fast.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Larken

« Reply #1867 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 22:19:18 »
Are there any fountain pens that don't get thinner towards the nib?  Lightly gripping (supposedly a good thing) a shiny section just means my fingers slip towards the nib which is getting old fast.

A very slight taper on the grip section is common, and even desired; perhaps look at those with a flared lip if your fingers keep slipping towards the nib. But there's probably enough pens out there with a mostly straight section that you won't be starved for choice. As for specific recommendations, a stated budget would help narrow it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1868 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 22:32:36 »

A very slight taper on the grip section is common, and even desired; perhaps look at those with a flared lip if your fingers keep slipping towards the nib. But there's probably enough pens out there with a mostly straight section that you won't be starved for choice. As for specific recommendations, a stated budget would help narrow it down.

There's no right or wrong way (short of too much pressure/pain)..

Anything that gets the job done.. you can grab the pen however you like, regardless of what the shape/design suggests you hold it..

Offline Larken

« Reply #1869 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 22:54:45 »

Anything that gets the job done.. you can grab the pen however you like, regardless of what the shape/design suggests you hold it..

In theory sure. Not always true in practice, and that is why one person would prefer a Pilot to a Sailor, and another might like the BIC over fountain pens. Humans are idiosyncratic creatures.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1870 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 06:07:17 »

Absolutely, no designer is going to dictate how I use something I've bought!

Found a book from last I was in this mood (who knows how many years ago :-[) and according to that I grip too tight.  I still questioned it until I actually started writing for more than a couple of minutes and got cramp, so I've had to admit I fail at stage 1.

Why would this be desirable?  If you grip tightly with a sweaty hand you can be on the nib in no time and if you grip lightly it just slides slowly which affects the size of your writing.  Straight would be better but it's still going to slide unless you grip hard... I must be missing something when it's so common but I'm trying to start afresh questioning everything and my inky finger says it's not good.

Recommendations? Must be a fat pen, and if it were free that would be lovely :))  The Visconti Homo Sapiens with it's alleged rubbery texture and hydroscopic properties sounds perfect especially as it has a little flare near the nib.  Far from free though!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Larken

« Reply #1871 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 06:44:42 »

Why would this be desirable?  If you grip tightly with a sweaty hand you can be on the nib in no time and if you grip lightly it just slides slowly which affects the size of your writing.  Straight would be better but it's still going to slide unless you grip hard... I must be missing something when it's so common but I'm trying to start afresh questioning everything and my inky finger says it's not good.

It is desirable (evidently arguable) because a taper accommodates for people with different preferences with respect to section girth; not everyone grips their pens at the same spot. For example, my fingers rest on where there usually are threads, and I prefer a longer section when it's available. I do write with pens varying designs though.

I must admit, the pens that you already have, i.e. the Parker Duofold and the Sailor 1911 are actually pretty good pens as they come. Getting a new pen is always nice, and in certain cases, a differently designed pen does make it easier to hold; i.e. you're gonna find a tapered, hooded nib pen like the L2K terrible. But the root of the issue is probably a problem with your fundamental technique.

Maybe share a few pictures of how you hold your pen?

Also, going through the lessons here might help: https://palmermethod.com/

Recommendations? Must be a fat pen, and if it were free that would be lovely :))  The Visconti Homo Sapiens with it's alleged rubbery texture and hydroscopic properties sounds perfect especially as it has a little flare near the nib.  Far from free though!

The Visconti Homo Sapiens is kinda overrated. YMMV. Thought about getting one several times, but always changed my mind after trying the pen in person. Several times across the last few years.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #1872 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 04:22:12 »
This is what I occasionally use, mainly for signing documents.
Bought it when I was at University.

(F'n iphone turned the image)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2018, 04:28:05 by invariance »
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #1873 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 10:01:08 »
Show Image

It certainly improved my handwriting, but it's not hard to polish a turd...
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline fliz

« Reply #1874 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:21:40 »
I used to have a custom Richard Binder medium flex italic nib that magically transformed my chicken scratch into something that people would comment on. Sadly, that pen was stolen.

Offline iri

« Reply #1875 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:43:02 »
And Binder is retired...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1876 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 14:39:25 »
I received two wonderful, vintage Pelikans from a wonderful member on gh.  :eek:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #1877 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 18:08:50 »
I received two wonderful, vintage Pelikans from a wonderful member on gh.  :eek:

Whoever sent you those is an absolute saint! Which model?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1878 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 19:23:34 »

How come Tp4 no getz fr33 p3nz.  ??

Offline fliz

« Reply #1879 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 14:59:05 »
And Binder is retired...

I know... it's a real tragedy. I got another one from the person he's training, but the ink doesn't flow properly. I guess full-flex italic is trickier to make?