Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic Communication - 15 April 2011  (Read 16742 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Truly Ergonomic Communication - 15 April 2011
« on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 01:41:33 »
New pics!!  ;)

This email is to provide you with an update during our pre-production phase of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard.

Images and Videos:

We are pleased to let you know that we have received pre-production models, have captured a set of images, and have uploaded them to our website for you to review them at your leisure. These images can be viewed by following the new 'Gallery' link on our website at www.trulyergonomic.com

We have also updated all keyboard images throughout our website.

We are currently creating a simple video to demonstrate the major advantages of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard, and to contrast it with conventional keyboards and other ergonomic keyboards. We will upload this video to our website once finalized.

Manufacturing updates:

Patience is a virtue, and fortunately we have all had plenty of it. The good news is that everything is heading forward, and that the light at the end of the tunnel is finally within reach (small as a sub-atomic particle, but it is there).

Favourably for everyone, our manufacturer is as perfectionist as we are; seems we all want to manufacture and deliver a first-rate product with the highest quality possible. With the only inconvenience being that this perfection takes longer than we'd all expected, and so the unpredicted delivery delays.

Estimated Delivery date:

As you already might know, we unfortunately have experienced manufacturing hurdles which were out of our control where we were keen to avoid any circumstances under which the quality of the shipped Truly Ergonomic Keyboard might be viewed as unsatisfactory. We thank you again to accept these delays as being prudent.

Everything is well and according to plan except the estimated delivery date; we realize that initial delivery dates we gave you arrived prematurely given third-party hurdles which we failed to anticipate. We apologize and thank you once again for your support.

We will contact you again when we have specific information regarding the delivery date of your Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. We offer our sincere gratitude or your patience and for your continuous interest in the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard.

Please send us an email should you have any questions or require additional information.*

Regards,
The Truly Ergonomic team

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 08:40:06 »
Even though I never thought it was a scam, I'm so relieved to see the pics... looks great.

Now all we need is a white version and I'll buy two dozen of these boards. :canada:

Offline Jim66

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:20:25 »
Quote from: Keymonger;331319
Even though I never thought it was a scam, I'm so relieved to see the pics... looks great.

Now all we need is a white version and I'll buy two dozen of these boards. :canada:

+1, I would do terrible things to get my hands on a white one with cherry browns.

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:34:12 »
Quote from: ripster;331633
I was in the rather uncomfortable position of trying to defend a Canadian entrepreneur against Internet Hate.

They are going to have to deliver a product to my doorstep before I deem them competent.  The pics look great...but they still have yet to deliver on what has been promised.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:35:06 »
Quote from: iMav;331733
They are going to have to deliver a product to my doorstep before I deem them competent.

That's exactly how I feel about the Group 3 double shots.

Offline iMav

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:41:42 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;331734
That's exactly how I feel about the Group 3 double shots.

Yes...something else that needs to show up at my doorstep....

But I'll be happier once it is all GONE from here.

Offline JBert

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 18:15:45 »
Quote from: ripster;331633
Lol at the people that thought it was a scam.
Show Image

I was in the rather uncomfortable position of trying to defend a Canadian entrepreneur against Internet Hate.
Show Image
Ooh, great renders!

* ducks *
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline appie747

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 18:45:19 »
Quote from: JBert;331766
Ooh, great renders!

* ducks *

Do you mean these pictures are still not real, that they are rendered??
Kinesis Freestyle Incline (work), Compaq MX 11800 (browns), AlphaGrip AG-5 FOR SALE! (home)

Offline ironman31

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 20:47:44 »
Interesting where they put the backspace
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Deofol

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 21:27:41 »
OK... been following this for months. Pics did it for me. Ordered.

Offline Gong-Yi

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 22:17:26 »
I just got my refund couple hours ago.  I  sent the mail to order my refund just after I

saw those updated pictures.  

The reason that I insisted getting full refund is the way they treated their customers,  

I don't want to waste my time to deal with them anymore; they post  couple pictures, then

you wait couple months.  Even the product is as good as they claimed, I just don't buy it,

they lost the foundation of business: pay respect to your customers.  Since only the

people with the virtue of unlimited patience are qualified to buy it, I want to say "Good

Luck and stay optimistic" to those have ordered the keyboard (before they shown the

pre-production model), you guys are really the over-qualified good customers.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 22:40:00 »
Some of us got 25% discounts. At todays interest rates that money is better spent helping TE get this keyboard to market, I can wait.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline neo

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 06:13:26 »
Pics did it for me too. I just ordered 5 of these for myself.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 08:59:43 »
You know what's interesting, the keys in the middle of the keyboard look like they're a different color in some of the pics. But it looks like that's caused by them not being level with the rest of the keys (so they reflect light differently). So the middle keys are a little lower. I wonder why that is. Might be better that way though.

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 11:24:40 »
Do the key slopes vary across the letter keys, or are they uniform?

Edit: Nevermind. Blah. Using Dvorak makes finding usable keyboards a real pain.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 11:32:38 »
Dvorak is for touch typing IMO, and labels on keys are useless for that anyway, so I don't see the problem. I'm getting the blank version 'cause I use custom layouts so labels don't make any sense for me.

Offline passerby

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 05:38:28 »
Okay, the pics did it for me. I'm ordering (though frankly, I don't expect stuff to be delivered in June)

Now, I only need to decide the layout version I need (I'm Russian, but Model 109 seems a bit... too crowded)

Offline iMav

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 08:16:08 »
June of which year???  :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:14:37 »
Quote from: neo;332037
Pics did it for me too. I just ordered 5 of these for myself.

Five?? That's a big investment, how do you know you will like them over anything else?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline MKB

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:28:49 »
I dont see the pics...

Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Clears)
Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Reds)
Filco Tenkeyless Zero (White Fukkas)
Unicomp SpaceSaver 104 (Buckling Spring)

Past:

IBM Model F (Buckling Spring)
IBM Model M (Buckling Spring)
Northgate (White Alps)
Fujitsu (peerless)
HHKB Pro 2 (Topre)
Deck Legend (Cherry Blacks)
Deck 82 (Cherry Blacks)
Unicomp Customizer 104 (Buckling Spring)

Offline iMav

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:38:33 »
Quote from: MKB;334881
I dont see the pics...
http://www.trulyergonomic.com/gallery.html

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:41:37 »
Quote from: iMav;334793
June of which year???  :)

LOL - I don't know much of the backstory behind this TE keyboard, but I don't think I'd trust this guy enough to order 5 yet. Wait and see when it's released, and then give him your money! The more money he has, the less incentive he really has to get the keyboards out quickly.

The less money he has received, the more incentive he has to get these to market ASAP so he can pay back his loans.

Motivate him to produce this by not paying him anything yet! :p
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline passerby

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 12:19:39 »
Quote from: .XL;334889
LOL - I don't know much of the backstory behind this TE keyboard, but I don't think I'd trust this guy enough to order 5 yet. Wait and see when it's released, and then give him your money! The more money he has, the less incentive he really has to get the keyboards out quickly.

The less money he has received, the more incentive he has to get these to market ASAP so he can pay back his loans.

Motivate him to produce this by not paying him anything yet! :p

Something suggests he's a fan of "loanless" start-up methodology (well, such things do happen. I read in a book :) )

Offline cbf123

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 12:56:45 »
Quote from: Keymonger;332080
You know what's interesting, the keys in the middle of the keyboard look like they're a different color in some of the pics. But it looks like that's caused by them not being level with the rest of the keys (so they reflect light differently). So the middle keys are a little lower. I wonder why that is. Might be better that way though.

I think there are a few things going on.  First, the central keys are dished on their top surface so they reflect the light differently.  Second, I think the bottom central key is intended to be struck with the index fingers rather than the thumbs, which results in a significantly different top surface angle when compared to the spacebars on either side.  Lastly, I think the central row might actually be a different material or made by a different company--they're a nonstandard shape so it wouldn't surprise me if they were custom.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:03:36 by cbf123 »
Daily drivers are:
Microsoft Natural (the original, and still going strong)
Microsoft Natural Elite

Offline sordna

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:09:01 »
Given the backspace's position on this keyboard, it makes better ergonomic sense to hit it with the thumb, otherwise you'd be moving your hand too far away from the home row. The angle is probably for tactile purposes, to be able to tell keys apart by feel (is my guess). Anyway, it's a pity most keyboards don't make good use of the thumb. When I was using a Goldtouch keyboard many years ago, one of my gripes was that I couldn't remap the left space bar to backspace. Kinesis and Maltron got the backspace right!

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:20:15 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline appie747

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 16:31:05 »
Quote from: sordna;334969
Given the backspace's position on this keyboard, it makes better ergonomic sense to hit it with the thumb, otherwise you'd be moving your hand too far away from the home row. The angle is probably for tactile purposes, to be able to tell keys apart by feel (is my guess). Anyway, it's a pity most keyboards don't make good use of the thumb. When I was using a Goldtouch keyboard many years ago, one of my gripes was that I couldn't remap the left space bar to backspace. Kinesis and Maltron got the backspace right!

Show Image

Hi, thanks for the idea! I'm going to try to remap, the left spacebar (to backspace) on my Kinesis Freestyle. I hope that works with Autohotkey. I hope it can identify the difference between the two spacebars... I already remapped capslock to backspace, but my left pinky has some trouble getting used to that.

On the TE I would rather also have the left spacebar remapped to backspace. The middle backspace key is a bit far away and the shape is probably not ideal when you use your thumb, but I agree it's also not a good idea to use the indexfinger, too far away.
Kinesis Freestyle Incline (work), Compaq MX 11800 (browns), AlphaGrip AG-5 FOR SALE! (home)

Offline neo

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 18:50:12 »
Quote from: sordna;334865
Five?? That's a big investment, how do you know you will like them over anything else?

Not only that, I am spending all of my next month salary to order more...

How could anyone still not be convinced? I mean after half a dozen times of "next month delivery" with only renderings to show for it, the guy comes here, using lots of detailed questions finds out we don't believe next month delivery is possible if all he has are renderings, goes back to the drawing board (literally) and soon emerges with (1) even better renderings and (2) "unspecified future delivery" instead of "next month delivery". If this doesn't convince you the boards are coming, I don't know what will.

Offline sordna

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:00:12 »
Ok, now I got you. So you were either joking, or you are convinced by the sheer speed of going from renderings to a redesign and actual photos based on GH comments :-)  Too bad it's not a public company to buy their stock. I'll ask my employer if perhaps they can add TE private shares to our 401k portfolios. It's at least as good an investment as the dollar, both can be printed/rendered on demand.

Offline SuffixTreeMonkey

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 15:02:41 »
The pictures look great... I liked my Natural 4000 and I like mechanical keybs, this looks like the best of both worlds. I sure hope they'll be able to deliver to y'all... but I guess I'll wait a bit before they convince me to order it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2011, 17:44:03 by SuffixTreeMonkey »

Offline Jim66

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 16:46:43 »
Has anyone seen the video yet?

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 21:30:39 »
Video?
INPUT GEAR
Work: Logitech MX Revolution |
Filco "Hulk" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Home: Razer Imperator | Filco "Doraemon" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Want:  3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise | Logitech MX Master

Offline hoggy

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 16:21:30 »
Quote from: neo;335166
Not only that, I am spending all of my next month salary to order more...

:rofl:
I'm assuming that you're joking - not trying to be rude.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline neo

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:26:06 »
Quote from: hoggy;341742
:rofl:
I'm assuming that you're joking - not trying to be rude.

What gave me away? :laugh:

Offline milh_cbt

refund
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 09:08:28 »
few weeks ago, I asked for refund, it look TE does not read each email any more. I hope they give me back my money.

Offline sordna

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 12:42:11 »
They haven't responded in weeks??? Not a good sign. Why don't you call them up and let us know what you find out.

Offline Jim66

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 12:56:05 »
I wouldn't take their lack of communication personally, it just seems to be how they do business. It's a joke, but it seems to be how they go about things.

I think a lot of people on here are excusing/ignoring their appalling business ethic because the want to see the keyboard built so bad; me included.

Offline sordna

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 14:42:35 »
Those of you who paid for this, did you get any receipt that shows the company's physical address, or at least a real person's name or phone number ?

Offline milh_cbt

next action
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 14:55:28 »
my next action would be, ask paypal to closed TE account, better if they refund too.

Offline redpill

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 May 2011, 18:01:09 »
I just noticed they charge $19 shipping and handling?  That's kind of ridiculous when you're already dropping two hunje on a keyboard.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline cbf123

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 15:42:34 »
Quote from: redpill;343507
I just noticed they charge $19 shipping and handling?  That's kind of ridiculous when you're already dropping two hunje on a keyboard.

Ever check how much EliteKeyboards charged for shipping&handling to Canada?  It's $36 for where I live.
Daily drivers are:
Microsoft Natural (the original, and still going strong)
Microsoft Natural Elite

Offline redpill

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 15:44:45 »
Well that's because there's an unwritten rule that says it's OK to screw Canadians.

Hey, I'm not saying I agree with it!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline redpill

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 15:50:04 »
Quote from: ripster;343980
I always assumed nobody likes Truly Ergonomic at Geekhack because they ARE Canadian.  I am the only defending them despite have screwed a few Canadians in the day.  Mainly female.

Mainly female?  Is that like partially pregnant?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 15:54:38 »
Mainly human. Some panda bears live in Canadia.

Offline redpill

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 00:40:19 »
Pfft.  If I were a grammar nazi you wouldn't not disagree it to be not unlikely for me to refrain from using double negatives, right?

Offline sordna

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 12:05:02 »
TE updated their website! The border color of the site is now green! Amazing!!! Surely this deserves some more orders, especially if you're Irish.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 12:38:30 by sordna »

Offline appie747

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:07:29 »
Quote from: sordna;346191
TE updated their website! The border color of the site is now green! Amazing!!! Surely this deserves some more orders, especially if you're Irish.
Thanks for letting me know! Green is my favorite colour, so I'm pre-ordering!!

Offline redpill

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 23:34:01 »
This keyboard looks really promising, I hope they are not full of crap.  Anyone still have a valid pre-order that was placed prior to April?

Offline Karacho

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 01:31:38 »
yes, me...

Offline appie747

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 03:18:26 »
Quote from: Karacho;346464
yes, me...
So, are you still hopefull? Is the new green border on the TE website giving you confidence?

Offline Karacho

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 10:46:15 »
I never lost my confidence (ordered in january)
But the gallery update was nevertheless great ^^