Author Topic: Foot rests?  (Read 16824 times)

Offline NKRO

Foot rests?
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 21:35:35 »
Just wondering how many of you use a foot rest, and how effective they are?

I'm relatively short, so my chair is either too low down for the desk when my feet are flat on the ground, or too high up when adjusted so that my arms are level with the desk.
I know you can get adjustable height desks, and that would probably be ideal, but right now I don't really have the budget to spend on new furniture like that.

Other than being able to use it as a standing height desk, are there any other benefits to an adjustable desk vs buying an adjustable foot rest?

Any recommendations on what kind of foot rest to get?

Offline Amarok

Re: Foot rests?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 21:39:15 »
I used this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Solemate-Footrest-SmartFit-K56144US/dp/B004UQ40IS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348886200&sr=8-1&keywords=kensington+footrest

for a few months until I got height adjustable legs for my desk. It was pretty comfortable and got the job done. It was very helpful to my back and legs while my desk wasn't adjustable, but unnecessary if your desk is the proper height.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 22:29:51 »
I use one intermittently at work, however I am tallish so I tend to wedge my feet on the foot rest and my knees under the desk.

I use it to try to encourage myself to sit straight at the desk as opposed to twisted slightly to the side (on my swivel chair), to try to reduce the strain on my mouse arm.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 02:46:57 »
Yes, I know this is an old thread. I am not sure exactly what foot rests are for? Some say they increase circulation and improve lumbar support. Mostly short folks though and nothing wrong with that. I would think most people in an office must wear shoes. So much for the massaging bumps etc. As many know I am over 7 feet tall. The gas cylinder is at 27" maximum. Feet are kind of still pushing into the floor. Desk is standard height so my arms are on a pretty good downward slant. I know this stinks but I assume I do not want to go looking for a footrest?

Interestingly there is not much mention of footrests here anyways. What is mentioned is mostly people putting feet on old CRT, keyboard etc. Something soft would be nice but it is only going to raise my feet. As discussed elsewhere I am not getting a new desk but have Varidesk. It does not really work well for raised and sitting. I tend to tuck my legs under the chair, very bad. So I assume a footrest is something I absolutely do not want.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 19:45:30 »
I can't say I've noticed any difference with mine.

I still have it (at work), and still use it occasionally (in fact I was using it when I read your post).

Not sure that it actually helps me to sit up straighter.

And I still wedge my knees under the desk when my feet are resting on it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 23:06:32 »
So what the heck I got the best one. Only $116. As I expected my knees are off the chair at the highest. plus my knees will not fit under the standard desk. Very good desk too. I should have known this since I had like 1/2" to begin with.  I think for average sized folks a good chair is much more important. If you are going to put your legs beneath the seat as I do all bets are off anyways. What was I thinking? I need to get shorter not taller! I do not really believe the foot rest ergonomics. Hardly any mention of them here. I think mainly if you are uncomfortable or like less than 5'2".  I love the Embody but I am grossly too large for it. Still feels good. Idea of raising my feet was pure stupidity on my part I guess. Now I wait for the UPS dude next week. Actually I would give it for Xmas but I do not know who would actually use it. Just like you are saying. Of course when we all watch TV people might put their legs on an Ottoman but this has a different purpose(s) entirely. I wanted to check it out, if it felt good. That was really stupid of me. I drove 90 miles to get it but sending it back UPS. Like you I am not sure they do what they say anyways. Of course I did not exactly even have the chance to test it HAHA. I would need like a 38" gas cylinder that I do not think exists. At 27" refit cylinder on Embody it is not even really high enough without a stinking foot rest! I could reach the keyboard from 3" but I do not think that is proper, regardless of my size. In regard to wedging your legs at least.

So much for that. I kind of answered my own question, inadvertently!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 19:51:07 »
Some good thoughts.

Perhaps (really) short people (or "vertically challenged", if you prefer) who put their chairs all the way up cannot reach the floor with their feet any more.  Hence the foot rest.

Also the one I have is like a simple wooden box with an angled top and a rubber mat thing stuck on top.  Actually it looks like someone here made it, which might be the case a couple of decades ago.

Thinking more about it, I probably only continue to use it to encourage myself to sit straight facing the desk, instead of at an angle, perhaps with one leg folded underneath me.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 23:32:20 »
I use proper posture. I mean with things designed for average height/weight folks. I sit up straight without it. As big as I am back will hurt if I lean in. Certainly not able to cross my leg in this chair. What you have is basically what they all are in some form or another. The top is slanted down towards you and they have a rubber grip on top. all supposed to serve the same purposes I would gather. The one for $116 is hardly different than what you have really. Serves the same function pretty much. I had to try it. Oh well. I am like a Groupon kind of Guy. Like to try things lol. I love this chair even though it is way too small, I do not need to make it smaller on my behalf! I actually just noticed it is loose as a goose compared to another I did not use. Not broken though. Yet. Maybe what I would like is those roller massagers but still going to be too high.  I am like vertically challenged in the opposite direction. Plus built so the weight too. I swear ducking through every door is the pits but most people would never even think about that. I just roll with the punches. I simply cannot use the foot rest though. Gave it the Ol' College try. The reason I was intrigued was because they do not seem to be popular here where you would expect them to be. Flawed idea or something I reckon then. I needed to investigate. As you state though maybe for small person with perhaps bad posture. The furniture stores try to push them. Likely because they do not sell. No idea.

OT: I love my horses dearly. They served a different purpose then. I get the gist of it though. Today most people want to type on a phone. We are a minority. Look at member count compared to like any car forum. Most people don't ride horses as transportation either. I as with many of us here have some different values. Hence I would 'try' a $116 foot rest. I fully hoped it had worked too. Good tools of my trade are justified in my mind. At least for me that was not one of them. The issue might be that adding 4.75" makes me nearly 8' tall! My bad. I am glad that you replied because no one else did. Maybe not a hot topic?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 02:56:50 »
legs have a large range.. it would be difficult to have a mechanical solution which covers that range especially given how large the difference in leverage could be..

all I could think of right now, is a leg cuff on elastic bands..

Buuhhh.. that'd look too much like an erotic item for the office.. hahaha

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 03:19:50 »
They have leg "hammocks". Shown with legs crossed. Looks like an ergonomic nightmare. I also realized average size folks will have to have the foot rest a good deal away to bend their ankles. Most people cannot bend their ankles with their legs directly in front of them seated. So that is quite frankly not good either. I see why many people do not use them as the minuses outweigh the plusses.  Unless of very small stature kind of not much choice. the opposite in my case. It was enough to screw everything up. a mere 4.75 inches. I was on the brink anyways. I find heel down awkward anyways. Especially if steep. I guess that explains why they are not spoken of much here. Furniture stores would like to sell them. most likely because they seldom do. A good chair, proper desk height etc. is much more important imo. It Is an office, not a stinking ottoman. Most offices require shoes so once again you could not reap the perceived benefit of it anyhow. I just wanted to find out for myself. I did. Honestly I could see myself not liking it if I were 5'10" as well. It just seems unnatural. The best ergonomics mimic the body not force it into position. That is why I like the Embody even if it is much too small. It is still very good, my feeling.

I just got what you said. like a furry velvet cuff on each leg suspended by rubber bands? Uh, yeah I do not think that would be office friendly :)

You know, along those lines.... The highest end models have 10"-14" length for the outside of your feet. So, since it is almost Christmas, bring on the nutcrackers! I sit with my outside feet 38" apart but due to my height. I doubt a 5'9" man say would be comfortable on these things. Why men do not cross their legs in business situations. This simply proved to be a waste of my time on a number of levels. YMMV.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 November 2017, 05:28:50 by typo »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 20:04:17 »
I suspect foot rests are too far below the table for most to worry about.

I inherited mine from whoever used to sit at this desk before, but I don't think I'd go out and actually buy one.

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 20:07:53 »
Not really meant for a foot rest, but I've been using this lol.

MFG Crosswind (Rudder Pedals)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 19:52:53 »
Not really meant for a foot rest, but I've been using this lol.

MFG Crosswind (Rudder Pedals)
Show Image

That's a gaming peripheral, though.

Although on first glance it looked like a killer steampunk foot rest :))

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:40:44 »
That does look cool. UPS dude came, I gave up on that stupid idea. Like all my life people jokingly ask me if I need a ladder. It really is not so funny to me at least. It was funny idiocy on my part. My chair does not go high enough so I am going to get a step stool duh. I figure you should have every ergonomic gadget at once but it does not always work that way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:50:10 »
That does look cool. UPS dude came, I gave up on that stupid idea. Like all my life people jokingly ask me if I need a ladder. It really is not so funny to me at least. It was funny idiocy on my part. My chair does not go high enough so I am going to get a step stool duh. I figure you should have every ergonomic gadget at once but it does not always work that way.

Slightly off-topic, but have you considered a draftsman chair?

They seem to be taller than most chairs, and sometimes have a metal ring about 3/4 the way down for average-heighted people to rest their feet on.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 04:04:41 »

Slightly off-topic, but have you considered a draftsman chair?

They seem to be taller than most chairs, and sometimes have a metal ring about 3/4 the way down for average-heighted people to rest their feet on.

You can also just replace the gas lift with an extended one, if your chair uses them. I know that Håg sells some pretty long ones, but AKRacing looks to be more available.

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 04:29:24 »
I have a long gas lift on my Embody. The chair is still really too small. Mainly my weight, it has a very skinny but high back. What I need is a new desk. I will not get rid of my desk as it is a Heirloom. I am okay with my setup. No injuries and I am older. I just thought the foot rest was neato. I do not know why. Honestly it is probably the least important part of a ergonomic setup. I just thought the most expensive one was cool. Not really concerned about it's actual function except it failed to work out for me! No big deal. I am good with my setup. Getting every ergonomic product is nerd to the max and does not necessarily make an improvement. These things can work against each other too.  I would just get the things you really need to sit properly. I just thought that was cool. Not a huge loss as it serves little purpose. There is one that moves all around like a chair. That may have some merit. I am not sure. Really expensive too. With my being so tall it would be a bad idea to even think of raising my feet but I had to try. I felt compelled to buy it for no reason. Feet on the floor I am at a good height. Chair looks silly but I don't care about that.