Author Topic: standing work stations  (Read 12218 times)

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
standing work stations
« on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 23:39:01 »
There is a great standing workstation I saw 3 years ago.  Just curious if anyone has one, loves and can sell me on one.  Done sitting want change.  Much love.
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: standing work stations
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 03:11:45 »
You can make one during one afternoon to find out if it works for you — as long as you don't need to switch between sitting and standing.

Offline wulax

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 19:03:19 »
I bought one with an electric motor from a Swedish manufacturer, Kinnarps. One of the best purchases I have made in my life. I love it and definitely recommend this type of desk. A bit expensive but worth it.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 06:19:00 »
I am a huge proponent of standing work stations and office ergonomics in general.  Excuse me if I get a little fanatical about it.

I highly recommend using a standing work station for all the benefits.  I have more energy, I can move around a bit, if I have music you might see me dancing in my cube.  I also have a tall stool so that I can sit for awhile if I get tired of standing.  If I didn't have a standing workstation, I probably would have quit my office job a long time ago.  Seriously, the ability to stand and move around has greatly improved my working situation.  There are many health benefits because the human body is not designed to sit all day.  We need to move around, and 30 minutes of exercise might not be enough.

Sitting all day is a just a total sap on energy.  When I first moved into an office environment after working in very physical jobs, I could feel my body turning to mush.  So I came in early one day and figured out how to adjust my desk.

I made that $22 Ikea standing workstation. Wasn't bad for awhile, but it has some issues.  It's cheap and can't support much weight, so when I developed a tendency to lean on it, the shelf broke.  And you cannot adjust height at all, so you cannot even make minor adjustments if you decide to sit for awhile.  If you are slightly taller than average, it's hard to find a chair that will high enough so your monitor/keyboard are at a comfortable height compared to your standing.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 06:19:56 »
Oh yea, forgot to mention that buying a new standing workstation can be quite expensive.  But in terms of improving your everyday work situation and the health benefits, it might be worth it.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 17:32:38 »
I'm eventually going to pick up a geekdesk v3.  You can order just the frame and make the top yourself or grab a table top from Ikea. 

http://www.geekdesk.com/
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 18:12:59 »
I pasted this from the Desk thread. I cant strongly recommend the Geekdesk enough (although it did take 7 weeks or so to come off back order and make it to my house)
If I wasnt lucky enough to be up and around a lot at work, I'd buy one for there, or at least make a standing workstation.

""" After about three months of using it and I rarely lower it. I'll do a whole raid night (7-11) and not lower it.
Frame --> http://www.geekdesk.com/default.asp?contentID=634 (Large/Black)
Desktop and glass were from Ikea.

The Panduit was for the first round of setting this up, I changed it when I semi retired my Asus laptop and went to the desktop. I'll probably just leave it attached for potential future use.

[/URL]

Crappy iphone video, just to get an idea

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/juston3smok33/IMG_0816_zpsfcbae254.mp4

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2013, 18:18:49 by Psybin »

Offline Asininity

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 04:42:15 »
I've been wanting to make a standing work station, unfortunately it seems like life's trying to keep me down!

I work as a valet to help fund my hobbies and my university's unquenchable thirst for my money so I'm running/standing for hours (seven hours today). I've also been pushing my self to make it to the gym and by the time I'm done with work and the gym my body's had with the entire standing thing.

One habit I've tried to make is to stand or sit on the stationary bike when I watch movies or I'm just surfing the web. I'm considering setting up a standing desk with a treadmill underneath so I can walk while I mess around on my laptop. Has anyone else tried this?

Offline TD22057

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 09:53:36 »
I started using an Ergotron sit/stand workstation at work this year and love it.  Clamps on to an existing desk and makes it very easy to change from sitting to standing.  I started standing an hour each morning and afternoon - now I stand most of the day.  It's not cheap, but it works well and doesn't require a new desk.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:44:31 »
I've been wanting to make a standing work station, unfortunately it seems like life's trying to keep me down!

I work as a valet to help fund my hobbies and my university's unquenchable thirst for my money so I'm running/standing for hours (seven hours today). I've also been pushing my self to make it to the gym and by the time I'm done with work and the gym my body's had with the entire standing thing.

One habit I've tried to make is to stand or sit on the stationary bike when I watch movies or I'm just surfing the web. I'm considering setting up a standing desk with a treadmill underneath so I can walk while I mess around on my laptop. Has anyone else tried this?

Sounds like you do enough standing as it is.  Your health will be fine without that standing workstation.  Of course, if you keep up that stationary biking or get a standing workstation, you will turn into an absolute machine.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 13:02:40 »
Looks like I'll be getting a GeekDesk Max from work soon, w00t!

Offline Asininity

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 13:32:57 »
prdlm2009 - Now that I can attain the title "total machine" nothing's going to keep me away from it!

I use one of those stands that turns your bicycle into an bike cycling trainer. I thought that this was interesting:

daerid - Where do you work? Any positions available?  :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 14:33:10 »
I work @ Stack Exchange. Not sure if we have any positions open, but if you apply don't tell 'em I sent you (you're on your own). They kinda look down on employee referrals.

Be warned though, the interview process is quite grueling.

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:42:46 »
Show Image

Show Image

Words cannot explain how jealous I am of that setup, very nice work!
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 19:28:41 »
Has anybody found a desk that you can adjust with some sort of hand crank.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 19:29:39 »
prdlm2009 - Now that I can attain the title "total machine" nothing's going to keep me away from it!

I use one of those stands that turns your bicycle into an bike cycling trainer. I thought that this was interesting:

Show Image

daerid - Where do you work? Any positions available?  :D
Look! A demik desk!

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 20:13:59 »

They have some on Amazon, a little cheaper than Geekdesk.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Height-Desk-Table-Workstation/dp/B005MR5YA2/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367802775&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=adjustable+height+desk+crank

Or google - "Adjustable Height Desk or Table - Base Frame Only - Sit to Standing Desk Computer Workstation - Modern and Ergonomic" -- to hit amazon link

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2013, 20:16:00 by Psybin »

Offline Paspie

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 03:13:36 »
I wouldn't mind trying one, but due to space and money situations I won't have one for quite a while. I would be slightly worried about my standing posture because I tend not to relax my shoulders, and push my stomach too far out. Those are just habits I don't know how to get rid of without thinking about it.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 12:53:47 »
daerid - I was being silly. Looks like a very neat place to work though, I hope you're enjoying it!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 19:57:44 »
No worries! Yeah it's a pretty rockin place to work, I'm loving it :) All the devs in the office are rocking Ducky Shines too, so that was a nice surprise :)

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:55:56 »
I want a standing desk with a treadmill.

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 21:23:35 »
Just made a hand adjustable one of these out of my moms keyboard stand.  I found the plank by the dumpster for my complex.   Will post picture if your curious.
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 21:45:32 »
Just made a hand adjustable one of these out of my moms keyboard stand.  I found the plank by the dumpster for my complex.   Will post picture if your curious.

Yes please!
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 01:02:44 »

This is geekhack. The answer to the question "should I post pictures" is always "yes"

Offline sudowork

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 03:42:06 »
I've been looking into getting a Geek Desk Max, but another interesting workstation I found was the Focal Locus workstation. It is a bit pricier though.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 08:58:21 »
Don't much like sitting, might have to make myself one since the prices are a bit high.

Might be able to get most all the metal I need to weld one together from a scrapyard, otherwise that would be expensive too.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 09:11:39 »
I made one by combining ikea parts for just over $100. It isn't adjustable, though you could hack together some other parts to get the heights just right for you.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 15:09:20 »
I started using an Ergotron sit/stand workstation at work this year and love it.  Clamps on to an existing desk and makes it very easy to change from sitting to standing.  I started standing an hour each morning and afternoon - now I stand most of the day.  It's not cheap, but it works well and doesn't require a new desk.
I persuaded my employer to get me one a while back.  I love mine too.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline flc

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 06:56:42 »
Don't much like sitting, might have to make myself one since the prices are a bit high.

Might be able to get most all the metal I need to weld one together from a scrapyard, otherwise that would be expensive too.
I couldn't get myself to pay so much for a desk that did not meet all of my needs - so I did just that.

I got an actuator with a 17.5" stroke and designed a simple desk with 1" x 2" square tubbing. I just got it welded this past week. Once I saw that the prototype actually works I ordered a proper power supply for the actuator - its on its way. I still need a proper top, keyboard tray and some cable management but it is looking very promising as it should meet all my needs: it is the size I wanted, I added wheels to easily move it from room to room and it is motorized. Right now I operate it with a toggle switch but I can later add a circuit with an Arduino to control the height. Can't wait to be able to use it on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 06:59:50 by flc »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:51:02 »
You should document the build and post pictures!

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 06:53:59 »

I have one like that. It works fine but it doesn't feel that secure when winding it down. It feels like it would just keep falling until it hits the bottom if you don't keep control of it. However, it has never actually collapsed under the weight. Also, the handle can get stiff when pushing it back in (it's kind of on a rod that moves in and out when you want to adjust the height of the desk).

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 08:23:06 »
I made one by combining ikea parts for just over $100. It isn't adjustable, though you could hack together some other parts to get the heights just right for you.

Show Image

That's a nice desk!  I didn't know Ikea had stainless steel desk/table frames, do you by chance still have the parts list?

Offline UniClown

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:53:11 »
Has anyone who has a standing station ever experienced foot pains? If so, how did you combat that?

Offline TD22057

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:56:43 »
Has anyone who has a standing station ever experienced foot pains? If so, how did you combat that?

That's why I like the ergotron.  When you get tired or if your feet hurt, sit down.  Rubber/foam mats also help with standing fatigue.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:04:19 »

You build up stamina over time, but it's not a good idea to stand all the time anyway. When my feet/knees feel tired or achy, I just take a break and sit down. Most of the time my day works out that I regularly take sit down breaks (lunch, coffee, etc.). As TD22057 says, you can also get anti-fatigue mats, but I've never tried them.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:19:09 »
Can't recommend an anti fatigue mat enough. It's subjective, but I'd say it doubles the time you can stand for the same level of comfort. Taking a short walk or sit down, even for a short while will help a fair bit, too.
Just build up the time you stand each day slowly, no point in injuring yourself.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:31:56 »

I usually stand barefoot at my standing setup, and it sometimes makes my feet hurt a bit. That's why I've brought my slippers from school for holidays.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 17:47:54 »
Those of you who have moveable desks, how do you deal with cables? Do you just use longer ones and let them pile up when you lower the desk, place the computer on the desk, have one of those cages hanging underneath the desk or do you have any other neat solution?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 18:35:14 »
As many cables as can be anchored to the desk as possible (ie: power distribution is attached to the moving bit) and as few cables moving around. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:16:34 »
Finally getting my desk next Thursday. And it looks like it's going to be a Steelcase Series 5 instead of a GeekDesk. Will post review after I get everything set up and work on it for a few days.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 13:14:49 »
Nice desk, daerid.  Going to be waiting to hear how it works out for you.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)