Author Topic: How to learn to type on dvorak layout or others?  (Read 4486 times)

Offline yester64

How to learn to type on dvorak layout or others?
« on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:01:25 »
I recently listened to a radio show in which a new concept of Kalq was introduced. This is supposed to be a new layout for touching devices that would make it more economically to interface with a touching device.

Now remembered that on the regular keyboard you have Dvorak and was pondering how difficult it is to use it since we are all so used to qwerty layout.

Now my question specifically to Dvorak is how hard it is to learn and benefit from that layout. Does anyone have any tips for someone who is interested?
Would it also benefit me from an ergonomically standpoint?
These questions may sound silly, but this is really new to me and most of my life i ignored them since i never seen such a keyboard in my life. So maybe its time to try something new.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Re: How to learn to type on dvorak layout or others?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:06:22 »
http://dvorak.nl

I can touch type about 60% of the DVORAK layout after about 4 days of using that website.

People will tell you "EHRMAGERD COLEMAK BETTUR U NOOB" but just ignore them, learn whatever layout you want :D

Offline Jack

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:09:25 »
It's easy to pick up. Mastery depends on your dedication and technique. I just printed an image of the layout and taped it beneath the monitor until I remembered where all the keys were and went from there. Typing tutors were boring so I just started using it instead. If you just keep going through the painfully slow period, you get functional quickly enough.

I didn't touch type before Dvorak. If you're already fast in QWERTY and don't have any RSI issues, then it may not benefit you much to switch, but if you haven't learned proper typing yet or have discomfort, it could help. From the touch typing I do in QWERTY when I have to, I know that my transcription work would be significantly less comfortable if I had to use it.

If you want to learn something like this, just play it straight and don't try to take the easy way out of anything, and it'll work out.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:11:05 »
I just printed an image of the layout and taped it beneath the monitor until I remembered where all the keys were and went from there.

OH yeah, I did that too. since I was using blank keycaps. but I only used it as a cheat sheet when absolutely necessary.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:17:50 »
EHRMAGERD COLEMAK BETTUR U NOOB

Offline yester64

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:23:32 »
@kmiller8 thanks for the link.

Btw. if i want to try it out what keyboard that is below $100 will be good and not that crappy. I really like to try this out but obviously i need a new keyboard to do that.

As for typing with qwerty. well i am not the fasted typist. Just last time i did in a test 41wpm. Mostly i get anxiety because of tests. So maybe it will benefit me. (at least i hope)
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Jack

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:30:07 »
For under $100 you can go to Fry's and get a board with MX blues or browns (or blacks, but why would you do that to yourself?) and you can find TKL if you want. I saw the CoolerMaster TKL and other such compact models there for around $80.

Edit: Just realized you're asking about one for Dvorak. If you already have a keyboard you like, you don't need to buy another one. The keyboard layout is changed at the OS, and there's no need to have the keycaps correspond to it because you should be touch typing anyway.

http://www.dvzine.org/type/index.html

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:33:35 »
For the record, TypeMatrix, WASDv2 and probably some others have hardware support for Dvorak (and Colemak). Or you could get a fully programmable keyboard. It comes handy if you have to do stuff like tech support for other people.

Offline danielh

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:42:24 »
As others have said, you will not need a new keyboard to start typing in Dvorak. In fact, I discourage it. Learning to type Dvorak using a QWERTY keyboard forced me to learn how to properly touch-type (ie, not looking at the keys).

If you do need a keyboard that is hardwired for Dvorak, you can also look at Unicomp. They offer hardwired Dvorak in a buckling-spring mechanical board.

Offline pyro

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:32:19 »
You can also use http://type.trmnl.org/ to try and get a vague idea of how an ergonomic layout will feel like. It can rewrite the pasted text such that when you type it, your fingers will move as they would with the different layout.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:07:25 »
EHRMAGERD COLEMAK BETTUR U NOOB

+1 8)

I can touch type about 60% of the DVORAK layout after about 4 days of using that website.

People will tell you "EHRMAGERD COLEMAK BETTUR U NOOB" but just ignore them, learn whatever layout you want :D

I don't think Denko would be very happy with your decision to use Dvorak...

Offline Hazel

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:47:35 »
Like others said, you don't need a special keyboard.  Dvorak is built-in to most operating systems (and Colemak in some); you'll learn better by not looking at the keyboard.

There are several simple training websites out there.  Take about 30 minutes a night to run through the lessons.  Don't push yourself too hard; accuracy is more important than speed.

The great thing about learning Dvorak and Colemak is that you begin training common words and key sequences immediately (since the most common letters are on the home row).  As a result, you will learn fast and acquire basic proficiency very quickly - which is a good motivator to keep learning.

Offline Tony

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 22:17:21 »
Check my Colemak switching experience
http://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=970

You may benefit from other's experience as well.
http://forum.colemak.com/viewforum.php?id=6
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 04:29:11 »

Vouched for this, I got to my old QWERTY speed after a month or so of training, and I'm over 35% faster in six months.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 09:54:27 »
I am a Colemak user but TypeFaster works and Keybr.com is really interesting to work with as well.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 23:58:02 »
I learned Dvorak on a Kinesis keyboard, which has it built-in... I bought the version with dual-print keycaps (QWERTY and Dvorak) but after learning it I don't need to look at keycaps anymore.
Not sure if you want to go that route, but an ergonomic keyboard like a Kinesis Advantage really helps in being able to hit the correct keys without looking, so I think it helped me a lot to learn Dvorak.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard