Author Topic: Kinesis keyboard questions  (Read 1676 times)

Offline hetlock

Kinesis keyboard questions
« on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 07:16:02 »
Hello,

I would like to buy an kinesis keyboard. The Advantage LF for PC & Mac   (KB500USB-blk-LF) is the keyboard I would like to buy.It is the one, with the Cherry MX red, linear mechanical.I was told, that compatibility issues with my Intel based operating system that has only USB 3.0 ports can occur. But there should be a workaround that provides a solution for the problem.
Does anyone know if the kinesis keyboard works with my laptop.
I also read, that when a key is typed, to letters are send to the pc and when the OS goes sleeping or energy saving, that I have to unplug the USB and plug it again, because without this, the keyboard is not reconized by the os anymore.

My laptop properties:

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2960 CPU @ 2.70GHz

producer: CLEVO
model: P370EM
64-BIT-SYSTEM
operating system: windows 7 ultimate service pack 1

My OS has only USB 3.0 Ports.

It would be very nice,if you would answer my e-mail.

I am from Germany. If there are grammar or spelling mistakes, I am very sorry.

Regards,

Werner Karl

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
Re: Kinesis keyboard questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 11:53:12 »
Hello hetlock,

Yes there currently are compatibility issues specifically with Intel USB 3.0 port on Windows 7, which is strange since our keyboard works through these same ports with Mac's, Linux and even Windows 8, so we know the issue is related to the Intel driver. For whatever reason it has issues with our USB hub it appears.

There are a couple work-arounds available. One would be to check the BIOS settings in your computer. You can either disable USB 3.0 altogether (which you may not wish to do if you need that higher speed (an example would be if you have an external USB harddriver)) or disable "Intel xHCI Mode", if available. And the other work-around is a physical work-around where we can provide you with a special cable that you can easily swap out yourself. If you buy directly from Kinesis I'm sure we can pre-install this cable for you as long as you let us know at the time of the order. If you buy from a reseller, you'll need to contact tech@kinesis.com to get the cables shipped to you.

As for the sleep issue, that isn't a known issue I'm aware of (all of us here at Kinesis type on the Advantage keyboard and all of our computers go to sleep mode without any problems).