Author Topic: ErgoDOX - add Lights/Backlight to it!?  (Read 26857 times)

Offline Phenix

ErgoDOX - add Lights/Backlight to it!?
« on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 10:40:11 »
Hello.

cause of the drop Im tinking about getting one
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-ergodox

But is (on the board in the drop) the possibility to add leds?
I don't need RGB, but one colour would be helpful

the only stuff I found about that:
https://gist.github.com/datagrok/8130501
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IizBnpjGzOw
and in one manual it was mentioned but not really described. Please help me!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:23:36 by Phenix »
Winter is coming.

Offline plainbriny

Re: ErgoDOX - add Lights/Backlight to it!?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:42:58 »
Based on the FAQ and the PCB, the infinity ergodox supports backlight led, and the original ergodox does not.
However, I am not sure whether this drop includes led, or whether there's an option to choose key switches with pre-assembled led.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:28:27 »
The PCB supports LEDs it's in the discussion, but it's impossible to find in Massdrop Discussions because there's no search.
There aren't any LED's provided with the drop, and no options for switches with pre assembled LED's on the drop

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Phenix

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:09:36 »
would add these leds
Diode 1N4148W

(see here)
http://falbatech.pl/prestashop/index.php?id_product=25&controller=product&id_lang=2

by the way as far as I know the massdrop kit comes as kit, nothing pre-assembled..!?
Winter is coming.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 17:15:52 »
would add these leds
Diode 1N4148W
I don't see, where you're getting, that those are light-emitting diodes. In fact, they aren't.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 18:42:39 »
I wanted to use them for backlight together with Vortext doubleshot PBT backlight keycaps.

Or do I need some other? Thought they would be right cause of falbatech listed them
Winter is coming.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 18:44:24 »
I wanted to use them for backlight together with Vortext doubleshot PBT backlight keycaps.

Or do I need some other? Thought they would be right cause of falbatech listed them

Diodes are to direct the path of the current for the switches, you'd need resistors for LEDs.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Vimto

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 22:16:18 »

I think you're getting confused between diodes and light emitting diodes.
Diodes are like Steezus said just to ensure current only flows in one direction.
LED's (light emitting diodes) are what you need to get lights under your keycaps

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Phenix

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 05:46:30 »
So which one / how would I need to get as LED's (light emitting diodes)??
Winter is coming.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 06:41:02 »
So which one / how would I need to get as LED's (light emitting diodes)??

LED means light emitting diode.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 07:20:53 »
so the board is able to power all leds (total ~70-80)?

Can someone sent me a sheet of paper with the layout on it? (want to check if my hands are too small..) thx
Winter is coming.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 19:54:55 »
the led backlighting works on all keys on the infinity

and the switches are inversed like all proper backlit keyboards are so that the leds are at the top

Offline Yggdrasil

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 10:41:45 »
That looks great Glod! I just ordered my first Ergodox with Zealios today and would love to get a similar look. Which type of LED should I use?

And I suppose I'd have to pick my desired color as well, since the Ergodox doesn't appear capable of driving RGB LEDs, right?

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 13:49:18 »
The Infinity ErgoDox isn't wired for RGB LEDs.  They're not supported in hardware or firmware.  You're limited to single color only.

I'd suggest 2x3x4mm LEDs.  I get mine from a Chinese vendor on AliExpress.  You don't need resistors according to HaaTa -- the Infinity PCB already has a single resistor for the entire board.  So just solder LEDs after switches and go.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 16:19:14 »
thanks for the suggestion.

Still too late, meanwhile I got an normal (non backlit) dox with clears :)
Winter is coming.

Offline RinabowBlitz

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 19:38:15 »
thanks for the suggestion.

Still too late, meanwhile I got an normal (non backlit) dox with clears :)

Forgive me if this is a stupid question: But couldn't one use different color LEDs to get a RGB effect or can you only use one color?

Offline Phenix

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 00:54:08 »
You can, but you need resistors (different ones for different colors)

[size=85]typos due to my tiuch screen are possible[size]

Winter is coming.

Offline Khuya

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 14:55:24 »
I added both top led and bottom led, this is what it looks like:

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 14:58:55 »
I added both top led and bottom led, this is what it looks like:

Show Image

Show Image

Interesting. Did you run into any issues dual-populating the LEDs on the top and bottom? I was thinking about doing that myself.

Offline Khuya

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 17:57:35 »
I am not an expert, so I tested them before soldering.  Some of the other colors would turn off the front led such as red.  But blue, white, and cyan seems to work together fine.  Been using it for 3 days since i did that and haven't found any issues.  I had to use SMD led for the bottom due to spacing issue with the back plate.

Offline tobsn

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 19:30:42 »
I am not an expert, so I tested them before soldering.  Some of the other colors would turn off the front led such as red.  But blue, white, and cyan seems to work together fine.  Been using it for 3 days since i did that and haven't found any issues.  I had to use SMD led for the bottom due to spacing issue with the back plate.

how is this working out so far? any issues? would you mind, in case it's working great, pointing me at the right SMD LED part? thanks!

Offline dantan

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 23:45:23 »
does this work for a massdrop ergodox? These seem to be cheaper.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 14:55:53 »
does this work for a massdrop ergodox? These seem to be cheaper.
The whole thread appears to be about the ED Infinity, which is distributed only via Massdrop.

Offline dantan

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 11:54:56 »
This has confused me. Is there a non-Infinity massdrop version? Is that version older?

If I want to buy an ergodox, sometimes I see the price looks good but no one wants to buy. I remember seeing someone put an ad for $120 ergodox and it wasn't taken after a few weeks. Am wondering if there are 'better' and 'less good' or 'older and unimproved' versions.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:03:21 »
ErgoDox Infinity is a keyboard _entirely_ different from OG ErgoDox; it only has the same layout and—somewhat confusingly—the name. Its feature set is different and not necessarily better. Massdrop has been selling it instead of OG ErgoDox since 2015, probably because it's cheaper to mass-produce and has more gimmicks.

Offline dantan

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:15:15 »
ErgoDox Infinity is a keyboard _entirely_ different from OG ErgoDox; it only has the same layout and—somewhat confusingly—the name. Its feature set is different and not necessarily better. Massdrop has been selling it instead of OG ErgoDox since 2015, probably because it's cheaper to mass-produce and has more gimmicks.

How do you tell them apart? If an ergodox has no LCD screen does that mean it is an OG Ergodox?

Offline dantan

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:15:56 »
I kinda want to be able to figure them out before I buy. The folks selling don't always seem to know what they are selling.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:21:03 »
Infinity uses surface-mount components (including ARM microcontroller), has the displays and doesn't support 80key layout.

Offline dantan

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 15:07:48 »
Infinity uses surface-mount components (including ARM microcontroller), has the displays and doesn't support 80key layout.

What if no display and has a teensy and navy blue PCB? What model would that be? I'm looking into buying one locally but the seller doesn't seem to know.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 15:19:31 »

What if no display and has a teensy and navy blue PCB? What model would that be? I'm looking into buying one locally but the seller doesn't seem to know.

Hi dantan,

The Infinity Ergodox is only available from Massdrop. You might find other users selling them used, but, to my knowledge, there is no vendor that sells the Infinity PCB at this time. Chances are, if you're shopping around for ergodoxes, you're looking at the original ergodox, which will require soldering some components (teensy, I/O expander, ports, etc). The colors of the PCB will vary, but they will cost you somewhere between $25 and $50 for a pair.

I have used both versions of the ergodox for over a year each, feel free to PM me with any questions!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 15:41:57 »

Teensy implies OG ErgoDox. Massdrop used blue for PCBs, back when they carried OG ErgoDox.

Offline ge61ta

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 10:16:28 »
Hey guys ! So first of all I'd like to apologize if I'm not that familiar with the topic, but I bought an Ergo dox keyboard off ebay. It doesn't have the LED screens, so I guess it's a standard edition. So, I've been wanting to put LED backlighting on it, but can't seem to find any proper HOW TO's on the internet. I actually don't need a full tutorial on it, I just need a picture of the location on the PCB where I need to solder the LED's. If anyone of you can help me out, I'd be really grateful.
Thank you in advance !
Cheers !

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 12:56:28 »
Unfortunately, the original ErgoDox does not have support for backlight like the Infinity ErgoDox does.
I have seen a couple people's attempts at adding LED strings in-between the keys or fiberoptics but those are all very custom custom and the result has not been nearly as good as a real backlit keyboard IMHO.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 July 2017, 12:58:34 by Findecanor »

Offline rowie

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 11:06:29 »
I'm getting impatient waiting for my Infinity Ergodox from Massdrop since there is now a delay. I do want "hot-swap-able" LEDs and so I ended up ordering those SIP sockets. All this time of waiting I did do a little reading about how to use SIP sockets for this model here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51792.0

I ended up ordering a short SIP accidentally, but I did order some long leg SIPs just to make sure.

As i'm learning about modifications, I did encounter the topic on "holtites," (enabling hot-swap-able switches) not sure if anyone as of yet was able to get them to work on the Infinity Ergodox. This would be so ideal for me since I'm not sure if i'd like the Zelio tactile switch I chose for this drop since I generally like blues and greens. 

I also invested in a good starter soldering unit as recommended on the I:C website. I ended up with a Hakko starter set. I got my LEDs, and I went with a 2x3x4 and it looks flush so far on the switch. I also went with the recommended solder from the Input Club website.

Hopefully Massdrop will ship out all the units next week. For now i'll just continue to do read more as usual, time to brush up on the programming aspect, i've been procrastinating this for awhile now.

Offline nick@selimis.com

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 14:46:56 »
yup here is my ergodox with underglow https://imgur.com/a/EVQgB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 21:53:20 »
yup here is my ergodox with underglow https://imgur.com/a/EVQgB

looks good.

An easier way is to use surface mount,  and angle the cut of the acrylic so the light scatters downwards !!

actually, your way is probably easier,  hahahaha..

A HARDER way would be.. hahaha

Offline rowie

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:34:06 »
Checking back with this thread. I really love my Infinity Ergodox. It has become "my preccccccious." I tried finding a purple LEDs that don't look like magenta. I went with UV purple and I like it. Although it is the weakest when it comes to brightness. I definitely am excited to try white LEDs as I'm sure it will give me more pronounced under-glow(thank goodness I installed SIP sockets to be able to change my LEDs to match keycap sets). For now I get a little bit of an underglow in the dark. I'm glad I went with the purple Zelios since it has a clear housing.

Before assembling the case and in natural darkness:

Completed with clear DSC keycaps in natural daylight:

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:36:36 by rowie »