Author Topic: Ergomatic keyboard: a cheaper alternative to the Maltron?  (Read 19311 times)

Offline Jim66

Ergomatic keyboard: a cheaper alternative to the Maltron?
« on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 10:09:06 »
I noticed that in this thread:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?9501-Maltron-and-Kinesis-any-known-bad-history

The first post briefly mentions the Ergomatic keyboard but then it isn't really taken up again...

I was just wondering anyone from here had any experience of this board? It looks nearly identical to the Maltron.. Only it is much cheaper (especially if you live in the states).

Anyone heard anything about it? The website isn't great..

http://www.ergo-comp.com/index.html

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Ergomatic keyboard: a cheaper alternative to the Maltron?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 11:59:02 »
They have/had a license to make knockoff keyboards here, but have not for quite a while. I spoke with them about 2 years ago and they were effectively dead-in-the-water.

Sorry, I think it's end of story with them since Maltron has distribution in the U.S.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Treknology

Re: Ergomatic keyboard: a cheaper alternative to the Maltron?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 20:07:29 »
I have just acquired one of these and hope that someone out there has technical instructions regarding the additional sockets on the back and the DIP switches.

For review purposes, ergo-comp is dead. The site name is now owned by a tree pest-control company.

While it has individual switches wired in, and a more robust construction than the native Maltron, the switches are rubber domes (with Cherry-compatible stems.

I know this is a stale post, but hopefully someone out there has a user/technical PDF that I can download.

Mic

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 06:34:08 »
I have just acquired one of these and hope that someone out there has technical instructions regarding the additional sockets on the back and the DIP switches.

For review purposes, ergo-comp is dead. The site name is now owned by a tree pest-control company.

While it has individual switches wired in, and a more robust construction than the native Maltron, the switches are rubber domes (with Cherry-compatible stems.

I know this is a stale post, but hopefully someone out there has a user/technical PDF that I can download.

Mic

Ports and Switches
Ports and switches on the back side of the keyboard are set to either PC or Mac uses and appear when viewed right to left as you face the back side:

Left of the cable are: An extra PS-2 port for any other PS-2 device like a second keyboard; a switch directing control to the second PS-2 if moved in that direction or opposite to use the primary unit - the Ergomatic keyboard; PC reset switch for it; then reset for the ADB end of the cable for the Mac and finally the bit switches- all set to for Mac; or 1 & 2 up and for PC per factory setting. The other bit switches are for factory use or spares.

Dunno if that helps. You can use the wayback machine to view snapshots of the page. https://web.archive.org/web/20120717094933/http://www.ergo-comp.com/ergomatic/features.html

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 14:30:56 »
Cool! It seems to be quite a rare keyboard. I have only seen it be mentioned here in passing. Please do post pictures of it and your thoughts on it.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 01:10:30 »

That is very weird.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 01:12:59 »
the website link is dead but the link findecanor posted shows a kb that looks like ergodox with numpad in the middle.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:31:16 »
Nice find!  I'm glad one has made its way to this community.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 21:51:04 »
Ergodox

SETTLE THE F DOWN, TP!

You gotta document that thing...I haven't come across one of those. PICS PICS PICS!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~