Author Topic: RAMA WORKS U80-A  (Read 48577 times)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
Re: RAMA WORKS U80-A
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:24:31 »
i'm pretty stoked to not have to devalue my pcb by not having to solder my switches in. my body runs hot and i swear it makes the iron even hotter than it should be. that is a recipe for lifting pads who can relate
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline shansoft

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 17:12:59 »
i'm pretty stoked to not have to devalue my pcb by not having to solder my switches in. my body runs hot and i swear it makes the iron even hotter than it should be. that is a recipe for lifting pads who can relate

I much prefer hotswap than soldering for few reason. I swap switches a lot and having desoldering without desoldering gun is just too much.
Especially when lubes goes out, and you need to re-lube the switches or stab....

Offline Kavik

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 21:10:47 »

I much prefer hotswap than soldering for few reason. I swap switches a lot and having desoldering without desoldering gun is just too much.
Especially when lubes goes out, and you need to re-lube the switches or stab....

Exactly, not too bad if you have a switch top opening plate (although that's still very time consuming and also doesn't help if you have BOX switches), but otherwise it's too much of a pain to desolder. I have lifted many a pad desoldering with just and iron and a solder sucker. It also takes forever.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline DB24

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 20:11:40 »
I am really psyched to get this kit. I ordered the "Lake" color with solderable PCB. I plan on putting in Zilent V2's 67gr. Also I ordered the heavy industry keycap set but also I have the GMK nines on order so not sure which one I will put on the board yet. I was able to get the U-80 ordered back in mid June. The web site says orders will ship when production is finished basically. I am really looking forward to this board, maybe it will even be my "endgame" lol. I would love to hear everyone's guess on how much the production on a kit like this might take. To those of you who are more experienced in these things, if you had to speculate, when do you think the production of a kit like this will be ready to ship? From what I have seen delays seem to be the norm, so I understand why vendors avoid putting exact dates on pre-orders etc. (case in point, still waiting on the KBD8xMkII, which it seems had to do a do-over on the brass plates...)

What do ya think? :)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 02:52:31 »
I'm in exactly same position - waiting for 8X MkII and new brass wieghts, then U80-A.
I asked Rama about timescales. it could be 3-4 months.
I would love to get it on Christmas, but there is possibility that it will be January.
Fingers crossed guys will run it smoothly and all will be ready for without delays, cause with delays it can hit 6 months...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 09:51:13 »
Pretty excited to receive mine.

Got the grey option, but can't remember the name for it haha.

I check every day for a potential update on the manu process.

Offline phinix

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 10:03:16 »
Moon, I also ordered it.
They should tell us already that at least production has started...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline DB24

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 20:45:13 »
I'm in exactly same position - waiting for 8X MkII and new brass wieghts, then U80-A.
I asked Rama about timescales. it could be 3-4 months.
I would love to get it on Christmas, but there is possibility that it will be January.
Fingers crossed guys will run it smoothly and all will be ready for without delays, cause with delays it can hit 6 months...
Thanks for this reply. Now I can kind of conceptualize a little more realistically about when I might receive this board and not get hopes up too much. Maybe January? OK cool. I will put it out of my mind a bit and keep waiting on that 8X MKII lol  ;D

Offline walie

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 21:56:05 »
2020 at the very least, I'm not expecting it until the spring

Offline phinix

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 06:02:35 »
2020 at the very least, I'm not expecting it until the spring

Yep, Rama confirmed on Instagram - Q1 2020.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 14:21:55 »
Has anyone seen any updates on these? I know Q1 means it could still extend until April, but I'm just curious since I haven't seen anything from Rama about it.

Offline boog

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 06:57:53 »
Has anyone seen any updates on these? I know Q1 means it could still extend until April, but I'm just curious since I haven't seen anything from Rama about it.

I’m subscribed to Rama updates and this was mentioned on it:
https://rama.works/prototype/2020/2/26/m50-a-grid-u80-a-thermal-updates

Expected some time in March.

Offline walie

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 07:20:10 »

No it isn’t

Offline boog

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 07:44:08 »

No it isn’t

Sorry while not being very helpful, you’re right... completion expected in March. Shipment says between April and May. Unless I’m missing something.

Offline jx6203

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 09:34:32 »
Hi, I am not sure if this is the thread to post it. But if someone is interested in a E-White U80A do PM me. Would like to sell my spot away at cost price for those that are really interested in it. I apologised and if this is wrong, please delete my message. 

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:12:07 »
What keycaps are you pairing with a Milk U80-A?  Is GMK Bleached close enough?  The latest posts on that GB thread sound like it won't be close. 

Offline dabeshu

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:54:29 »
Looks bulky and oblong. The more classical, standard TKL design is really where it’s at for me. Then again the only thing I like from them that isn’t a t-shirt or an action figure is the M60. Thermal is actually nice too. Their “mute-mount” sounds cool but most of the keyboards they produce follow a form and shaping that just ends up looking really odd most of the time. The m60 and the thermal are sleek but their larger boards tend to look like, well, tanks. I’d much rather spend my money on something that acts as a complement to my set-up, not something that stands out like a sore thumb and dominates desk space. They really should trim up their designs.. IMO most of their products just look stupid. Just my $0.02

Offline Kavik

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:00:10 »
Looks bulky and oblong. The more classical, standard TKL design is really where it’s at for me. Then again the only thing I like from them that isn’t a t-shirt or an action figure is the M60. Thermal is actually nice too. Their “mute-mount” sounds cool but most of the keyboards they produce follow a form and shaping that just ends up looking really odd most of the time. The m60 and the thermal are sleek but their larger boards tend to look like, well, tanks. I’d much rather spend my money on something that acts as a complement to my set-up, not something that stands out like a sore thumb and dominates desk space. They really should trim up their designs.. IMO most of their products just look stupid. Just my $0.02

I don't entirely disagree with you. I entered this GB because I want a hotswap board with great build quality. The mute feature also piqued my interest. That said, I agree that the design is a bit large and round for my taste. I'm still excited for this to ship out; I just wish updates were more substantial and/or frequent.

Offline idislikematt

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:15:10 »
Hi, I am not sure if this is the thread to post it. But if someone is interested in a E-White U80A do PM me. Would like to sell my spot away at cost price for those that are really interested in it. I apologised and if this is wrong, please delete my message.

I would love one of these! PM’d!

Offline typo

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 02:07:32 »
Can't go wrong with Rama but he certainly has/had nicer ones.

Offline siggerzz

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 04:51:38 »
If anyone's interested in selling their spot, please let me know! Happy to pay extra too :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 06:46:26 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.
Including postage to UK, £386.
Now, in next 3 months, Customs gonna slap me in a face...

Year later + £78 of customs and tax...

247014-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2020, 07:03:48 by phinix »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 13:29:48 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

(Attachment Link)

Yours will arrive two or three days before mine (DHL says the 16th and the Rama store says the 17th). I've never had to pay customs in the US though, so I'm not sure how that works over here (or if it's even a thing).

I need to lube the BOX black and BOX yellow switches I've been sitting on all this time so that I have something to stick in it when it arrives.

Offline phinix

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 15:40:36 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

(Attachment Link)

Yours will arrive two or three days before mine (DHL says the 16th and the Rama store says the 17th). I've never had to pay customs in the US though, so I'm not sure how that works over here (or if it's even a thing).

I need to lube the BOX black and BOX yellow switches I've been sitting on all this time so that I have something to stick in it when it arrives.

I have tealios waiting for it.
Also got new lube and zeal stabs.
Tuesday will be nice :)

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 23:32:12 »
I'm hoping there are extras!@

Offline phinix

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 06:26:48 »
I'm hoping there are extras!@

They may have some.
Second round will start very soon, so you can order then.

Offline Harnak

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 18:46:27 »
Mine came in today! I'll try to take some ****ty pictures tonight of it

Offline litster

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 19:13:19 »
Mine came in today! I'll try to take some ****ty pictures tonight of it

What color did you get?  I have not received any shipping notification yet.  Mine is white.

Offline Harnak

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 23:59:07 »
Here are pictures! I apologize for the quality, I only have a phone.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 00:17:56 by Harnak »

Offline phinix

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 06:29:12 »
Got mine today!

247151-0

247153-1

247155-2
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 06:37:00 by phinix »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 09:21:49 »
Very cool, guys. Those pics are making me impatient!

Offline phinix

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 16:51:56 »
Mine is now fully built, typing on it:)

247192-0

247194-1

247196-2

I've put SA Amber Screen on it now, but I think for keyboard this high, gmk profile would be better.

247188-3

Plus now I'm seriously considering getting HyperX pudding keycaps:)

EDIT: Yep, GMK is the way to go with this one :)

247190-4

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:25:23 by phinix »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:19:59 »
Wow, really nice packaging on these.

Great design overall.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:39:27 »
Wow, that looks great, Phinix!

I got a text message from DHL saying mine would arrive today, but the DHL tracking says tomorrow, and the Rama shopify site says the day after tomorrow. Aaaaah!  :confused:

I had a mini-panic last night because I couldn't remember if I had any stabilizers, but I apparently still have a spare set of Zeal stabs, so I'm good.

Mine is the Port color, which I haven't seen from anyone else yet, so I'll post some pictures. I'm planning on putting GMK DMG on it.

Offline litster

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 11:27:13 »
I got a text message from DHL saying mine would arrive today, but the DHL tracking says tomorrow, and the Rama shopify site says the day after tomorrow. Aaaaah!  :confused:

Are you in the US?  How many days ago you received a notification that it has been shipped?  Thanks.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:24:45 »

Are you in the US?  How many days ago you received a notification that it has been shipped?  Thanks.

Yes, I got the initial text message that it shipped about a week ago, and then I got another one this morning.

It did indeed arrive today. Initial impression is disappointment in the rose gold weight. It is tarnished on both sides (the visible portions) and a bit on the bottom. It's more severe on the left side, but the right side is clearly a fingerprint. I'm not sure I'll be able to show this in pictures very well. I'm not super anal about stuff like that, but the shiny mirror polish is one of the major aesthetic draws of the board. Anodizing on the rest of the case looks good. There are slight scuffs on the inside and the outside of the bottom case, but they're barely noticeable and not on visible parts of the keyboard. Tape on the box was not sealed; maybe customs looked inside.

GMK DMG's purple color is dark in comparison, but I think it will be a good match.

I'll get some pictures up later tonight.

Offline litster

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:59:17 »
That is disappointing.  I just got a shipping notice today so mine won't be here for another week if I am lucky.  I have Milk with the silver weight and also an extra rose weight.  I will be able to do some comparison between the 2.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 19:54:31 »
Pics of my port U80-A. Two pics of the tarnish on the weight. The difference in color between the DMG purple/pink and the case color isn't as drastic in person as it is in the photo.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 19:57:35 by Kavik »

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:12:33 »
Pics of my port U80-A. Two pics of the tarnish on the weight. The difference in color between the DMG purple/pink and the case color isn't as drastic in person as it is in the photo.

I am on the same boat as you. My weight came tarnished and scratched.
Did you alert Rama about this?
I tried their ticketing portal but it seems broken. I've tried to login with store account but it seems like you need a different registration. I submitted a ticket and now I can't complete registration to check on the ticket lol!

Offline litster

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:15:34 »
Email them directly at support@rama.works

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:17:32 »
Email them directly at support@rama.works

I totally forgot about that. I just did. Thanks!

Offline litster

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:20:09 »
Keep us posted.  Mine just shipped out yesterday.  I won't see my tarnished weight for another week if I am lucky.

Offline Micoo

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:29:04 »

I tried their ticketing portal but it seems broken. I've tried to login with store account but it seems like you need a different registration. I submitted a ticket and now I can't complete registration to check on the ticket lol!

My weight is the same (Port U80).I wonder if it is only affecting the Rose Gold weights? Haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue with any other colour.

247429-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2020, 03:00:59 by Micoo »

Offline phinix

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 02:13:30 »
I have Moon version and don't think it has this tarnish. It is scratched thou.
I have two small scratches in the bottom of the weight.

Weight is VERY prone to finger prints and staining, but if i clean them a lot, it disappears. Then shows up again... would that be tarnish?
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2020, 16:28:52 by phinix »

Offline eriatilox

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 04:40:48 »

My weight is the same (Port U80).I wonder if it is only affecting the Rose Gold weights? Haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue with any other colour.

(Attachment Link)
My port got tarnishes too. I thought mine was bad.. until I see this.

I contacted Rama last week and they're willing to send a replacement, but yesterday they emailed me an update saying that it looks like it's a problem with this particular batch so I assumed there're plenty of weights with this problem. They're collating the numbers and will need some time to produce the replacement.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 05:24:07 »

(Attachment Link)
My port got tarnishes too. I thought mine was bad.. until I see this.

I contacted Rama last week and they're willing to send a replacement, but yesterday they emailed me an update saying that it looks like it's a problem with this particular batch so I assumed there're plenty of weights with this problem. They're collating the numbers and will need some time to produce the replacement.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for updating this thread.
That is good to know and at the very least, it sounds like they are willing to correct the problems.
Aside from the weight tarnishing issue, the results from anodising is very hard to fault.

I have Moon version and don't think it has this tarnish. It is scratched thou.
I have two small scratches in the bottom of the weight.

Weight is VERY prone to finger prints and staining, but if i clean them a lot, it disappears. Then shows up again... would that be tarnish?

It sounds like it could be the same, but I think if you post some pictures here, you'll get more eyes to see and possibly some feedback from others.

Offline litster

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 12:18:45 »
I am surprised that the weight's finishing quality was not doubled-checked before packing and shipping.

Offline jaytae

• Miracles happen
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 22:40:39 »
Do the other models of Rama works have weights or is it just the U80?

Offline DiGatto

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 13:21:24 »
Ready to buy tarnished for the full price, actually I don't care about them) if someone ready to sell I ready to buy for the full price

Offline phinix

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 16:27:39 »
Ready to buy tarnished for the full price, actually I don't care about them) if someone ready to sell I ready to buy for the full price

They will prabably be some for sale on reddit or ebay soon - people just started to receive them all over the world.