Author Topic: NEW DOCS!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 2587370 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: NEW DOCS!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #2050 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 05:21:04 »
Is lasergist still accepting orders to make plates?
They should be. Are you having problems with the integration?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2051 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 06:31:16 »
Is lasergist still accepting orders to make plates?

I just did some testing and it looks like everything is working.  Did you have problems or were you just checking?

On the 8th and 10th, I did get notifications of two potential orders having the problem of:

Code: [Select]
2017/07/10 03:22:24 Error building 'quote' request for lasergist: EOF
2017/07/10 03:42:09 Error building 'order' request for lasergist: EOF

Their service has been relatively stable, but every once in a while I get a couple notifications that the API didn't send me back what I was expecting.

I will keep an eye on it.  Please let me know if you have any issues.  Thanks...

Offline GenAce2010

« Reply #2052 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 08:58:03 »
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of designing a new keyboard and I am uncertain as to what a "common" or "standard" mounting hole diameter, edge with, or edge padding might be. Does anyone have any suggestions for those items?

The keyboard I am designing is based off of a standard 104 key but 7 additional keys are added. Please see: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz60uCOtrTSBWHlCMmFBaXF5ZkU

Thank you in advance.

P.S Also do you know any design services that could create a PCB for this design?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2053 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:12:50 »
What I used for my board is 6mm padding and 3mm hole diameter.  I am pretty happy with it because the heads of the screws do not hang over the edge of the plate.  I actually did my holes at 2.5mm and I tapped them (added threads) so they fit an M3 screw.  I would recommend at least a M3 screw as I have done some testing and an M2 screw can pretty easily be torqued too much and the head can break off (which would suck).

Reviewing your layout.  I would probably be a bit concerned with the spacebar stabilizer.  I am not sure how well the stabilizer will 'clip' in if a switch cutout is on top of it.  I am not entirely sure if the switch cutout will be on top of the stabilizer cutout, but my guess is that it will be judging from the visual look of the board.  Post a link to the KLE layout once you have it built with all the different key layouts on it and I will review to see if I have concerns with the viability of the resulting plate.

Cheers...

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of designing a new keyboard and I am uncertain as to what a "common" or "standard" mounting hole diameter, edge with, or edge padding might be. Does anyone have any suggestions for those items?

The keyboard I am designing is based off of a standard 104 key but 7 additional keys are added. Please see: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz60uCOtrTSBWHlCMmFBaXF5ZkU

Thank you in advance.

P.S Also do you know any design services that could create a PCB for this design?

Offline GenAce2010

« Reply #2054 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:32:14 »
Swill,

Thank you for the reply. Here is my KLE link: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/e3cc57f09c69257bf8e97540d501f9a8 and here is my proposed switch layer (attachment)... Please forgive me... I'm new to all of this since I just started doing my research yesterday.

Regards,

Gen

Online TalkingTree

« Reply #2055 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 10:01:17 »
do you know any design services that could create a PCB for this design?
Having such a large PCB designed and then made is gonna cost you money. Since you're using a standard 104 ANSI keyboard, I would say it's best to have the plate made, take a keyboard apart, install all the 104 switches on the plate, then solder the PCB back in, and hand wire the remaining keys to a breakout board. You would need two usb connections to your computer, but what would surely save you a lot of money.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2056 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 10:44:30 »
Swill,

Thank you for the reply. Here is my KLE link: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/e3cc57f09c69257bf8e97540d501f9a8 and here is my proposed switch layer (attachment)... Please forgive me... I'm new to all of this since I just started doing my research yesterday.

Regards,

Gen
Ahhh. I see. Sorry, I am so used to looking at keycap layouts I thought you were allowing for 3 different key layouts for the spacebar area, not adding those as additional keys to the board.

You will be fine with that. Sorry, I misunderstood your intentions.

Offline pabile

• Garage
« Reply #2057 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:17:55 »
hi swill!
i plan to use your builder for a custom alps build. i noticed there are stabilizers on caps less than 2u. are these necessary? i have not seen -2u keycaps with stabilizers in it and i think the plates will look cleaner if these were removed. awesome tool either way.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2058 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:33:48 »
hi swill!
i plan to use your builder for a custom alps build. i noticed there are stabilizers on caps less than 2u. are these necessary? i have not seen -2u keycaps with stabilizers in it and i think the plates will look cleaner if these were removed. awesome tool either way.
For MX there is no stabs on keys less than 2u, however there are stabs which can be used for less than 2u keys in Alps.

If you don't want stabs on those keys, you can remove the stab on that key specifically. Eg: {_s:0},"target key"

Here are the associated docs for those features: http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/features/#plate-layout

Let me know if that is not clear.

Offline pabile

• Garage
« Reply #2059 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 09:06:44 »
If you don't want stabs on those keys, you can remove the stab on that key specifically. Eg: {_s:0},"target key"

oh! cool! just tried it and it's awesome!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2060 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 10:22:18 »
Sorry for the delay getting this issue fixed.  The good news is that now it is fixed...  :)

Now that I have seen how people use the tool, I have improved the usability a bit.  Now all of the circle, rectangle and rounded rectangle have a new relative to field.  If nothing is entered in the relative to the shape will not be drawn unless the shape is associated with a key in the Plate Layout section.  In addition, if you specify more than one point in the relative to field, the shape(s) defined by the centers will be repeated relative to each of the relative to points.

These changes makes your use case easier because you can just use the rectangle with the centers set to where you would like the stabilizers relative to the center of the switchs.  Then don't define anything relative to points and only apply the cutouts to the actual keys in the Plate Layout section.

I have added some additional detail to the appropriate sections of the documentation: http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/features/#custom-polygons

Please let me know if anything is not clear.  I think this is a huge improvement to the Custom Polygons feature, but I would love your feedback.

Hi Swill,
I finally got around to using the custom-polygons-as-Alps-stabs thing, and I'm seeing some weird behaviour.
I'm getting an extra cluster of my four custom polygons in the center of the plate, in addition to the groups centered on specific switches.
(Attachment Link)

Any idea what's going on?

Layout JSON
More
["Esc",{x:0.25},"F1","F2","F3","F4",{x:0.25},"F5","F6","F7","F8",{x:0.25},"F9","F10","F11","F12",{x:0.25},"Delete"],
[{y:0.5},"~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2,_c:"0,1,2,3",_s:0},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{w:1.75,_s:0},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25,_c:"0,1,2,3",_s:0},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25,_c:"0,1,2,3",_s:0},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75,_c:"0,1,4,5",_s:0},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25,_s:3},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

Polygons
More
[-14.333,3.4];[-11.667,3.4];[-11.667,8.6];[-14.333,8.6];[-14.333,3.4]
[14.333,3.4];[11.667,3.4];[11.667,8.6];[14.333,8.6];[14.333,3.4]
[11.1,4.9];[8.434,4.9];[8.434,10.1];[11.1,10.1];[11.1,4.9]
[-11.1,4.9];[-8.434,4.9];[-8.434,10.1];[-11.1,10.1];[-11.1,4.9]
[-22.8,4.9];[-20.134,4.9];[-20.134,10.1];[-22.8,10.1];[-22.8,4.9]
[22.8,4.9];[20.134,4.9];[20.134,10.1];[22.8,10.1];[22.8,4.9]

Online lawless

« Reply #2061 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:39:58 »
Just wanted to say thanks for the hard work, swill. Just got my first attempt at a plate from the laser cutting service. Probably going to take me a couple more implementations to get it the way I want it (I'm just learning CAD software). But couldn't have done it without your plate and case builder.

173719-0

Razer BWU 2016 (Orange)

"I was a mechanic in the Navy. And mechanics in the Navy are like mechanics in airlines. You may have more stripes than I do, but you don't know how to fix the airplane."----Gordon Bethune

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2062 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:46:31 »
Awesome!  Glad my builder has been helpful.  :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the hard work, swill. Just got my first attempt at a plate from the laser cutting service. Probably going to take me a couple more implementations to get it the way I want it (I'm just learning CAD software). But couldn't have done it without your plate and case builder.

(Attachment Link)