Author Topic: Making a 60% case: how to mount PCB?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline fnurl

Making a 60% case: how to mount PCB?
« on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 07:11:49 »
I want to make my own wooden case/bottom from wood. Mostly because I think it would be nice to have made it myself, and wood is the most accessible non-3D printed material to me.

Will start with just a nice planed, sanded and varnished board, then make one with sides.

What I am wondering is how to mount the board. Looking at the Glam wooden cases, they have glued threaded "mounting holes" (I'm a non-native English speaker... what are they called?). Are they just ordinary PCB mounting spacers/brackets?

Would be great if I could buy something hollow that was threaded outside and inside with a hex shape rim. That way I could screw it in to the wood and use a nut on the outside to adjust the height.

Are there such things? Where can I buy them if they exist?

Or is it possible to make them (considering their small size) using some tool available to hobbyists?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Making a 60% case: how to mount PCB?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 07:15:55 »
I believe you mean these.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:34:22 »
"threaded insert" or "threaded bushing" is what you are looking for. There are lots of different types.

Poker-compatible parts are designed for M2 screws and most hardware stores even in the EU stock screws down to only M3, so you may have to order them online.

Offline fnurl

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:47:17 »
"threaded insert" or "threaded bushing" is what you are looking for. There are lots of different types.

Poker-compatible parts are designed for M2 screws and most hardware stores even in the EU stock screws down to only M3, so you may have to order them online.

I believe you mean these.

Thanks for the info, terminology and link!