Author Topic: [Question] Do you prefer Standard Linears or Speed Switches for FPS/Comp gaming?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Hello GH,

I am trying to objectively decide if my Kalih Speed switches offer an advantage when competitively gaming (in my case: Overwatch, first person shooter). The argument can be made that the actuation occurring at a higher point results in quicker reaction times. Then again, I think many gamers keep keys slightly compressed before firing away, offering the same result with normal switches.

A few months back, I built a custom 75% board with Kalih Silvers, 62g Sprits, and lubed them generously with my DIY GPL mix.  While they do feel lovely, I find that typing accurately with them is quite a challenge at times due to actuation occurring from the slightest push of a key --- even when skimming the board. I'm wondering if I should've gone with a heavier spring, to increase the force needed to break the initial barrier of compression, or if I should have gone with the trusty MX Blacks I hear so much about.

Here are my questions:

1 - What mechanical switch do you think you perform best with?

2 - For a baseline, what other switches have you tried?

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2017, 21:42:26 by bmilcs »

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
1. Undecided - Either Lubed 62g Ergoclears or Lubed 62g Kalih Speed Silvers

2. Cherry MX Clear, 62g Lubed Ergoclears, 65g Lubed Ergoclears, 62g Lubed Zealios, 62g Lubed Kalih Speed Silvers

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Tiramisuu

I think the high activation point will help but I also think that the trend towards heavy springs makes things slower.
Additionally I think there may be merit in the kaihl low profile switches but I haven't experimented with them yet.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Findecanor

I think people adjust their style to the switch the use, thus making a fraction of a mm higher actuation point little to no effect whatsoever.
Our nervous systems and muscles adapt to the constraints applied to them and the world.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
People adjust but also the difference between switches in terms of actuation speed and typing is minimal, provided you are no comparing something with hysteresis (B.S., blues, greens).
There are times where certain switches will help, like nudging a character forward where a tactile feel can help, but that doesn't require speed, it needs precision, but in the heat of battle most people can't maintain that level of dexterity and just start mashing buttons. And yes, a short throw will speed things up in such a situation, but the amount is ridiculously small and realistically not going to make any sort of difference in how you rank.

Bottom line, run what you like.
I personally like short throw highly tactile, though I don't like the super short throw Speed switches as they come off as linear and feel like they collapse, you need some overhead before the bump. I also like BS and blues but hate the noise and hysteresis, thus loving Jailhouse Blues which are the best of everything as far I'm concerned, but can be a serious investment of time and possibly money.

As for me, I've used a few switches:
Buckling Spring
Cherry Vintage Blues, Vintage Jailhouse blues (wired, lubed and non) Reds, Browns, Blacks, Clear, Ergo Clear (lubed), Cherrystotles (Cherry housing, Aristiotle stem)
Gateron blues, Jailhouse Blues (Jspacers or O-ring), Gatistotles (Gateron Housing Aristotle stem)
Outemu Blues, hand wired Jailhouse Blues
Kailh Speed Bronze (or thick gold), Speed Gold
Aristotle
Various other mix and match between all of these
Alps (blues?)
Scissor switches (Apple, Logitech, IBM, Lenovo)
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
I think the high activation point will help but I also think that the trend towards heavy springs makes things slower.
Additionally I think there may be merit in the kaihl low profile switches but I haven't experimented with them yet.

I think it may help, but then again, I'm not sure. Same goes for linear vs tactile: having that phsyical, mechanical feedback of tactile switches could help help with hand & eye coordination. You feel exactly when actuation occurs, you see it on your screen, that cognitive connection becomes stronger, no?

I think people adjust their style to the switch the use, thus making a fraction of a mm higher actuation point little to no effect whatsoever.
Our nervous systems and muscles adapt to the constraints applied to them and the world.

I think you're right. I really enjoy the feel and experience of these Speed switches, but typing accurately requires tedious mindfulness of what I'm typing... where standard switches let me just clack away with minimal effort.]

To both of you, What switches do you use / prefer for work & gaming?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Kailh speed switches (clicky bronze).  But you know what makes the most difference for me?  Key profile.  G20 is best for me, followed by DSA.  GMK is terrible for me for some reason. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 17:33:11 by reececonrad »

Offline AuthenticDanger

I use Tactile Greys for FPS gaming. Outemu Purples would be my backup (because they're stupid cheap, and feel pretty good).

I've also used Blues, Browns, Reds, Clears, Zealio 78g and Mod-L/M/S/SH but none feel more special than the Tactile Greys.

All my boards (except the 1 that had blues) is dressed in DSA. Not sure if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 17:23:42 by AuthenticDanger »
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Rodde

I think I prefer tactile or clicky with a higher activation point. Although I've used MX greens and enjoyed it just fine.