Author Topic: Broken micro usb jack on pro micro  (Read 2205 times)

Offline ergo_guy

Broken micro usb jack on pro micro
« on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 17:21:49 »
So I accidentally broke the micro usb jack on the master side of my lets split.  Unfortunately it is also the side where the top of the pro micro is sandwiched against the lets split pcb, so I can't try to repair the solder connection without desoldering the pro micro and removing it.  So basically is the pro micro worth fixing or should I just replace it?  Also any tips on desoldering the pro micro are appreciated, I haven't trimmed the header pins yet, should I do that before hand?

Offline woodkeys

• Crafter of quality custom keyboards
    • WoodKeys.click
Re: Broken micro usb jack on pro micro
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 00:34:51 »
I did the same thing on two of mine. I just reprogrammed my right hand to be master amd remap the keys and used the USB on that side.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline ergo_guy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 14:00:45 »
Wouldn't I have to also flash the left side for this to work?  Or would I just flash the right side with the left side eeprom and it would work?

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 19:21:07 »
I think if you had already flashed them both with the correct eeprom and set the firmware to use the eeprom to set the hand, then it would just work.

That's not what I did though. I didn't have the eeprom set, so it was in MASTER_LEFT mode. That means the side that doesn't have the USB acts as a slave (in this case the left). So you only need to reprogram the master (right) to interpret the matrix correctly. I have the code on my GitHub: https://github.com/colemarkham/qmk_firmware/commit/bfe77b4210925b8d008de1fb7a120c75a4ff4667

Offline ergo_guy

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 19:50:59 »
So I flashed the right side with the left eeprom, but it still just gives me the same result as before (flipped keymap) when they are connected together, I think that it is because the left side still has the left hand eeprom on it so its not being the slave unit properly.  I think at this point in order to get both sides to work properly I am just going to have to replace the left side pro micro unfortunately.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 22:51:15 »
I haven't used the eeprom, but the slave will always be the one without USB. It is possible something else got damaged when the USB was ripped off.

Using the eeprom allows you to plug the USB into either side. You need to set a flag in the firmware to enable it though, not just flash the eeprom. You wouldn't want to flash the left hand eeprom to your right hand board though.

My fix works by flipping the keymap because it won't be correct with the original programming. If you get keypress registered from both halves when connected together, then you can make it work. You just have to adjust the KEYMAP macro to remap the physical matrix (which is now flipped) to the match what you expect.

Offline ergo_guy

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 14:36:48 »
Thanks for the help, I fixed my issue by flipping the keymap manually (lots of copy and pasting) and then flashing that to the right side.  It probably wasn't the fastest way, but I though it might work, and it did, so it was definitely worth it to me, especially because it is my only mechanical keyboard.