Author Topic: [WIP] Bulky 60% case design  (Read 3602 times)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
[WIP] Bulky 60% case design
« on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 16:41:28 »
As a part of learning the ins and outs of OpenSCAD and CAD modeling in general, I wanted to do something bigger than a switch plate this time around. I thought that 60% keyboards are popular so why not something for those.

187571-0

I'm very early in progress and will probably have to redo parts later on. Right now I'm just trying to get my idea visible in CAD somehow. The case is inspired by G80-3000, Pearl40%, and CA66. Consisting of three main parts (top, spacer, and bottom) it follows a quite regular case setup. The spacer can be acrylic to show off your RGB backlighting or then you could maybe use some colored metal for a simpler look instead.

The case top is WKL with blockers. Not sure if I should make a regular non-blocked version and an HHKBish version as well. The angle is 4 degrees and the height of the front edge is around 25 to 30mm.

It comes with a top-mounted plate which means you can use any popular 60% PCB with it, or maybe even handwire a keyboard if you know what you're doing. Still working on making the plate more universal.

As the case has loads of empty space at the back, I was thinking of making a USB extension installation hole in there, meaning you can use whatever USB connector on the PCB and whatever USB connector on the case. An older GH60 PCB with USB-C? Can do! Or maybe you have a sweet coiled MiniUSB cable but would like to use a USB-C PCB with it? Can do!

Things I'm trying to work out:

1. The USB connector thing: how to design a hole that fits all and allows easy screw installation of a USB extension cord such as this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3258

2. Is a simple design (just anodized aluminum with no details) nice or would we like to see some decorations (such as what the MARS 8.0 case has on top)?

3. I need to learn more about CNC machining and CAD in general. How does one properly design screw holes for instance? Or prepare a CAD model for milling and cutting?

4. Details for the case in general. Chamfers, bevels, and such are quite a pain in OpenSCAD in my opinion (even with minkowski). Maybe I should flip over to FreeCAD or something for the detail work? See 3.

5. Is the case unique enough? Or am I copying my inspirers too much? The spacer and rounded corners scream Pearl40% and the huge paddings look really much like the 3000-case and CA66 case.

6. Is this case interesting enough to warrant a group buy someday? I like it, of course, but are there friendly neighbors who love minimal and bulky stuff on their desks as well?

I'm thinking about calling it the "SLAB60" or something. It does look like an expensive slab of unworked aluminum right now. :D

All feedback welcome, along with tips and tricks to make it happen some day. Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 January 2018, 16:44:25 by ojrask »
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: [WIP] Bulky 60% case design
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 04:34:56 »
Nice, I always like projects explained in detail.

The case is inspired by G80-3000
The 3000 case has a slope on the front which reduces the height on that side and makes typing a little more comfortable. You might wanna recreate that.

The spacer can be acrylic to show off your RGB backlighting or then you could maybe use Not sure if I should make a regular non-blocked version and an HHKBish version as well.
Designing variants doesn't take too much time so perhaps you should. Offering them really depends on the demand.

I was thinking of making a USB extension installation hole in there, meaning you can use whatever USB connector on the PCB and whatever USB connector on the case. An older GH60 PCB with USB-C? Can do! Or maybe you have a sweet coiled MiniUSB cable but would like to use a USB-C PCB with it? Can do!
I like this idea. Perhaps one thing you could do is to make three openings on the back, the middle one for Type-C and the side ones for mini-B. That way you can use any cable, with an internal adaptor, and eventually close the remaining holes with blockers.

how to design a hole that fits all and allows easy screw installation of a USB extension cord
You might wanna use USB breakouts with mounting holes so to have screws on the inside rather than on the back of the case. Like so.
You can either use multiple mountings for all the different breakout boards, or design your own (and I can help with that if you need).

Is a simple design (just anodized aluminum with no details) nice or would we like to see some decorations (such as what the MARS 8.0 case has on top)?
That's personal preference and you should gauge interest with an IC for that.

How does one properly design screw holes for instance? Or prepare a CAD model for milling and cutting?
I don't think you need a CAM file for that. A .step one should suffice.
As for the screw holes themselves, you need to define threads inside the mounting supports and you might wanna use the ISO standard.

Chamfers, bevels, and such are quite a pain in OpenSCAD in my opinion (even with minkowski). Maybe I should flip over to FreeCAD or something for the detail work?
I personally use Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for hobbists (which I am), and such features are easy as pie to implement.

Is the case unique enough? Or am I copying my inspirers too much? The spacer and rounded corners scream Pearl40% and the huge paddings look really much like the 3000-case and CA66 case.
Replicating commercial cases is generally accepted. The line between inspiration and copycat might be thin, if you're in doubt, try and get a hold of the original author to see wheter they are bothered or not.

Is this case interesting enough to warrant a group buy someday? I like it, of course, but are there friendly neighbors who love minimal and bulky stuff on their desks as well?
A few more details would be nice. The chamfers and fillets you mentioned, for instance.

Keep up the good work.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline keyboardMaster

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 04:46:30 »
I think that a TKL keyboard would be much more interesting, because it requires more skill.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:35:09 »
Nice, I always like projects explained in detail.

The case is inspired by G80-3000
The 3000 case has a slope on the front which reduces the height on that side and makes typing a little more comfortable. You might wanna recreate that.

The spacer can be acrylic to show off your RGB backlighting or then you could maybe use Not sure if I should make a regular non-blocked version and an HHKBish version as well.
Designing variants doesn't take too much time so perhaps you should. Offering them really depends on the demand.

I was thinking of making a USB extension installation hole in there, meaning you can use whatever USB connector on the PCB and whatever USB connector on the case. An older GH60 PCB with USB-C? Can do! Or maybe you have a sweet coiled MiniUSB cable but would like to use a USB-C PCB with it? Can do!
I like this idea. Perhaps one thing you could do is to make three openings on the back, the middle one for Type-C and the side ones for mini-B. That way you can use any cable, with an internal adaptor, and eventually close the remaining holes with blockers.

how to design a hole that fits all and allows easy screw installation of a USB extension cord
You might wanna use USB breakouts with mounting holes so to have screws on the inside rather than on the back of the case. Like so.
You can either use multiple mountings for all the different breakout boards, or design your own (and I can help with that if you need).

Is a simple design (just anodized aluminum with no details) nice or would we like to see some decorations (such as what the MARS 8.0 case has on top)?
That's personal preference and you should gauge interest with an IC for that.

How does one properly design screw holes for instance? Or prepare a CAD model for milling and cutting?
I don't think you need a CAM file for that. A .step one should suffice.
As for the screw holes themselves, you need to define threads inside the mounting supports and you might wanna use the ISO standard.

Chamfers, bevels, and such are quite a pain in OpenSCAD in my opinion (even with minkowski). Maybe I should flip over to FreeCAD or something for the detail work?
I personally use Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for hobbists (which I am), and such features are easy as pie to implement.

Is the case unique enough? Or am I copying my inspirers too much? The spacer and rounded corners scream Pearl40% and the huge paddings look really much like the 3000-case and CA66 case.
Replicating commercial cases is generally accepted. The line between inspiration and copycat might be thin, if you're in doubt, try and get a hold of the original author to see wheter they are bothered or not.

Is this case interesting enough to warrant a group buy someday? I like it, of course, but are there friendly neighbors who love minimal and bulky stuff on their desks as well?
A few more details would be nice. The chamfers and fillets you mentioned, for instance.

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks for the feedback. Need to try out some ideas. The USB breakout board seems like a solid approach, thanks for the tip.

The front edge is a bit harsh yes, need to see if recreating the 3000 front slope helps with that.

I guess Fusion 360 is one of the popular choices, need to check it out.

Thanks! :)

I think that a TKL keyboard would be much more interesting, because it requires more skill.

Need to investigate how many difference TKL PCBs there are, or whether I would have to create a custom PCB for that kind of a project. Thanks for the input. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:41:04 »
Need to try out some ideas.
Keep us posted, I'm watching this closely.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 21:21:08 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:58:27 by jimirolln »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 01:04:11 »
hey ojrask...how would you feel about doing a cad render on the opensource keyboard project?

if so...check out the opensource keyboard project...ty

Not certain what project you're talking about? A render or an actual model/design built from the ground up?
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 19:21:59 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:58:51 by jimirolln »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 19:44:12 »
hey ojrask...how would you feel about doing a cad render on the opensource keyboard project?

Not certain what project you're talking about? A render or an actual model/design built from the ground up?

a render to start with...and then yes, a design from g-zero...a fresh pallet for your intellectual creativity...here is a hot link to the thread...pcb files are ready...talking tree put the final stamp on it
all the dimensions and files are there nice and organized...see how you feel about it...its a one off...so if its not your thing...nothing ventured....nothing gained 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93874.0

That PCB looks like it would fit in this case assuming the plate I will design supports the bottom row layout properly. :)
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 10:03:53 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:59:09 by jimirolln »

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 10:19:08 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:59:19 by jimirolln »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 08:11:49 »

a render to start with...and then yes, a design from g-zero...a fresh pallet for your intellectual creativity...here is a hot link to the thread...pcb files are ready...talking tree put the final stamp on it
all the dimensions and files are there nice and organized...see how you feel about it...its a one off...so if its not your thing...nothing ventured....nothing gained 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93874.0

That PCB looks like it would fit in this case assuming the plate I will design supports the bottom row layout properly. :)

awsome...i really like the bulky...the top and bottom bezzles could be trimmed a bit to consider a manufacturing cost...but still i like it
i do need to mention the length of this board is shorter than a standard 60...at 271.22mm...your design would need to bring the sides closer together...the width is the same though

the second hotlink under the plate is the svg file

Oh I missed that the PCB was shorter. In that case I can't do a plate for it just like that. I'll think about it though. A shorter plate might be doable but then there would be big holes on the sides in this case design.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:54:08 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:59:32 by jimirolln »