Author Topic: What switch do you type fastest on?  (Read 40271 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: What switch do you type fastest on?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 05:17:35 »
MX browns: 80-90 wpm

Do you find yourself typing faster on linear variants of the same weighting, for example, reds? I can't feel any tactility when I actuate the switch, so I want to know what exactly makes MX brown so good for speed typing.

It's widely felt that tactile switches are superior for typing, as you can rely on the switch to tell you that you've actuated a switch instead of relying on your mind several times per second; I'm personally much more accurate and quick on a rubber dome than I ever was on MX Red switches, despite having used them for months consistently. 
This is not the case for absolutely everyone, I'm sure, but I don't know of any very fast typist (i.e. consistently over 170 wpm or so) that uses linear switches. Most I see use rubber domes or tactile mechanical switches, clicky is rare and linear probably nonexistent; I myself was never able to get over 90% of my top speed with linear switches, probably because the error rate was notably higher.

My accuracy is pretty low on linears.

Offline Eike

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 07:01:09 »

Do you find yourself typing faster on linear variants of the same weighting, for example, reds? I can't feel any tactility when I actuate the switch, so I want to know what exactly makes MX brown so good for speed typing.

I appreciate tactility as with linear switches I am constantly buttoming out every keystroke. I am not sure, if this longer distance travel per click really add up to a lower overall wpm score, but I definetely find it way harder to get into a flow which allows for faster typing speeds without tactility.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 10:54:30 »

I appreciate tactility as with linear switches I am constantly buttoming out every keystroke. I am not sure, if this longer distance travel per click really add up to a lower overall wpm score, but I definetely find it way harder to get into a flow which allows for faster typing speeds without tactility.

light Linears in my opinion, suck

edit: managed to get 132 and 130 wpm today on rubber domes
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:03:32 by Sintpinty »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:16:07 »

I like reds a lot more than blacks. Something about heavy linears is tiring, when even box navies are not. Something more intermediate might be nice though.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:27:53 »
Red and brown, almost same for me. I like red better.

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 12:16:56 »
Cherry mx reds, but my wpm is nothing special.....at all...

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 12:18:30 »

Yeah mine either.. 130 wpm hit for basic words.. nothing much.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 12:18:53 »

I like reds a lot more than blacks. Something about heavy linears is tiring, when even box navies are not. Something more intermediate might be nice though.

I like reds but they too light

Offline Adieu910

• Crazy about Typing
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 14:45:52 »

Are you kidding me? Anything above 100 wpm is fast in my book. I guess 80 wpm is the average for the frequent computer user and 120 wpm for the gamer or programmer. It’s good, but not blow-me-away impressive.

I think an impressive typing speed would be 210 wpm high speed and 190-200 wpm average for 1 minute on 10FF top 200 common words. On Typeracer that reflects the real life typing the most (minus ctrl+a for corrections), 300 wpm high on a one line quote, 230 on 2+ lines and 200 on 5+ lines but 180 wpm for last 10 races average or 160 wpm all time average including the really nasty quotes with bajillion punctuation like Sean Wrona’s Das Keyboard Typing Competition Ping Pong Text, bizarre words, or a string of numbers you end up memorizing to get more than 140 wpm. I think only 10-30 registered people typing in English fit one or more of those criteria.

A vast majority of them just type on a regular keyboard even laptop with QWERTY layout and with their own unique style like using 8 or 4 fingers, different finger usage, or double tapping caps lock for shift. It would only be a few wpm difference anyway and not worth the effort to unlearn old habits and make typing more efficient.

EDIT: I don’t want to get too off topic or make another post. I also type 5 wpm slower on Orange Alps because the tactility is more spread out and I can’t ignore it? It may be due to me not wanting to break my switches with my fingers hammering away at them. I have achieved 200 wpm on 3 liner quote so the capability is still there.

My dream speedtyping switch would be MX Browns with slightly shorter travel and rounded low profile keycaps so I can slide my fingers around without them getting stuck between the keycaps and still retain accuracy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2020, 14:51:15 by Adieu910 »

Ducky One 2                   Klippe Alps64

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 21:18:06 »

Are you kidding me? Anything above 100 wpm is fast in my book. I guess 80 wpm is the average for the frequent computer user and 120 wpm for the gamer or programmer. It’s good, but not blow-me-away impressive.

I think an impressive typing speed would be 210 wpm high speed and 190-200 wpm average for 1 minute on 10FF top 200 common words. On Typeracer that reflects the real life typing the most (minus ctrl+a for corrections), 300 wpm high on a one line quote, 230 on 2+ lines and 200 on 5+ lines but 180 wpm for last 10 races average or 160 wpm all time average including the really nasty quotes with bajillion punctuation like Sean Wrona’s Das Keyboard Typing Competition Ping Pong Text, bizarre words, or a string of numbers you end up memorizing to get more than 140 wpm. I think only 10-30 registered people typing in English fit one or more of those criteria.

A vast majority of them just type on a regular keyboard even laptop with QWERTY layout and with their own unique style like using 8 or 4 fingers, different finger usage, or double tapping caps lock for shift. It would only be a few wpm difference anyway and not worth the effort to unlearn old habits and make typing more efficient.

EDIT: I don’t want to get too off topic or make another post. I also type 5 wpm slower on Orange Alps because the tactility is more spread out and I can’t ignore it? It may be due to me not wanting to break my switches with my fingers hammering away at them. I have achieved 200 wpm on 3 liner quote so the capability is still there.

My dream speedtyping switch would be MX Browns with slightly shorter travel and rounded low profile keycaps so I can slide my fingers around without them getting stuck between the keycaps and still retain accuracy.

Can you please state what you like about MX Browns for typing? I have no idea why so many people like MX browns. :)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 05:45:41 »

Can you please state what you like about MX Browns for typing? I have no idea why so many people like MX browns. :)

Yeah sure.

MX browns are what is known as "tactile switches" having a bump when the key travels up. This feeling is good for typists as it gives them feedback when a key is pressed. Some prefer clicky switches as tactile and audible feedback is right for them.

Offline Adieu910

• Crazy about Typing
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:54:01 »

I like MX Browns for typing because I feel like they have the right amount of tactility for feedback and they're light. I don't want to get distracted by too much tactility like on Kailh Box Browns or Alps Orange. No need to bottom out, but I do most of the time by habit thanks to membrane keyboards. When I don't, I can burst 200 wpm. Linears are kinda boring to me, especially lubed one; they just feel like butter and I'd prefer that crisp feedback. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:02:29 »

I like MX Browns for typing because I feel like they have the right amount of tactility for feedback and they're light. I don't want to get distracted by too much tactility like on Kailh Box Browns or Alps Orange. No need to bottom out, but I do most of the time by habit thanks to membrane keyboards. When I don't, I can burst 200 wpm. Linears are kinda boring to me, especially lubed one; they just feel like butter and I'd prefer that crisp feedback.

Have you tried box whites? They're light and only minimally tactile, maybe even less tactile than browns, but the tactility is very crisp. They do click though, if that matters. I can't do browns myself, too scratchy.

Offline Adieu910

• Crazy about Typing
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 15:34:02 »

Have you tried box whites? They're light and only minimally tactile, maybe even less tactile than browns, but the tactility is very crisp. They do click though, if that matters. I can't do browns myself, too scratchy.

I haven’t tried them. I don’t think I’d be able to feel the tactility if it’s less tactile than browns since people are calling browns “practically linears”. I never even minded the scratchiness. I didn’t know they were scratchy until it was pointed out to me. I don’t like clickies much and I hate MX blues. Amber alps are the only clicky I’ve tried that I liked. It sounds and feels like what I’d expect a classic switch to be like. My typing is already so loud, so it’ll be even louder with clickies yikes. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2020, 17:52:35 by Adieu910 »

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 04:00:16 »
Blues for me

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 05:11:18 »
Interesting topic of typing speed of linear vs tactile, in general. Thinking of switching my Kinesis to linear (cherry black silenced). The tactile click itself increases the stress back onto your finger, I would think. I don't think there's evidence that the tactile click is being sensed by you in order to stop before it bottoms out... More like your senses are calibrating over time (not per click) for how far and how hard to press.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:38:05 »
Interesting topic of typing speed of linear vs tactile, in general. Thinking of switching my Kinesis to linear (cherry black silenced). The tactile click itself increases the stress back onto your finger, I would think. I don't think there's evidence that the tactile click is being sensed by you in order to stop before it bottoms out... More like your senses are calibrating over time (not per click) for how far and how hard to press.

Agreed, although I mash keys either way. I just do it more, or less, gently after adjusting to a switch.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 14:48:12 »
I touch type properly since late 90s. Work with computers a lot. And the best I can do is slightly above 60 wpm. On any of the switches that I have: reds, browns, blacks, box pinks, BS, flaretech blues even. Obviously, at this speed the switch type does not play any role.

Offline JakeyPancakey

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 15:19:19 »
My current switches and average correlated speeds:

Cherry MX Red - 79 WPM
Cherry MX Blue - 82 WPM
Gateron Brown  - 83 WPM
IBM Capacitive Buckling Spring - 84 WPM

Gonna make my first DIY board in a week or two with Kailh Box Jades.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 15:43:56 »

Cherry MX Red - 79 WPM
Cherry MX Blue - 82 WPM
Gateron Brown  - 83 WPM

Nice choice.  :thumb:

Interesting that you type fastest on capacitive buckling spring. I never feel like I'm typing extremely fast on them vs other switch types, though with the new ones having lighter springs, that may have changed.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 18:11:49 »

Cherry MX Red - 79 WPM
Cherry MX Blue - 82 WPM
Gateron Brown  - 83 WPM

Nice choice.  :thumb:

Interesting that you type fastest on capacitive buckling spring. I never feel like I'm typing extremely fast on them vs other switch types, though with the new ones having lighter springs, that may have changed.
I feel what he is saying, he has a very similar switch preference to me. (If what he tested is anything to go by.)

For me I love the feel of Buckling springs, but the key spacing is the big thing, IBM's are laid out perfectly (Key spacing and keycap feel and design), and it means I'm making a lot less mistakes whenever I'm using them, so I'm more confident and go faster.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 20:47:27 »
I set my PB at 153 with a stupid laptop scissor keyboard.

My average on my mech is usually around 120-130, and I have to do it with linears around 62-67g.

Offline fatcoffeebeans

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:23:59 »
all I know is mx reds and topre 45... I type faster on mx reds
Topre Realforce 45g 87u

Offline Herman

• college student
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 12:10:19 »
Currently on stock MX Browns, and if I touch type, I can get up to around 85-90 WPM. If I go back to my non-touch typing, unorthodox ways, I've maxed out at ~125 WPM on these switches.

Believe it or not fastest I've ever typed was on the Apple butterfly switch at 135 WPM.  :confused:
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 12:12:28 by Herman »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 21:20:13 »
all I know is mx reds and topre 45... I type faster on mx reds

Because they’re so light I slow down 😔

Offline Pylon

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 00:11:27 »
My sustained speeds across MX Blue, MX Clear, and a Thinkpad T450s keyboard are about the same (~100-110WPM), but I've noticed higher burst speeds on MX Clear. I'm noticeably slower but more accurate on buckling springs.

Offline shine

• IBM obsessed
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 03:16:48 »
I'm faster on the beamspring (<100 wpm), but i think it's about the ergonomics of the 3276
Looking for: IBM 4978(XD!)
Current collection:
More
B: 3101, 3276, 3277, 3278, 3279, 5251, 5285, 6580
F: F50, F62 OG "kishaver", F104 "Unsaver", F107, F122, XT, AT, 3178 "bluebutton", 5291 "Bigfoot", 5155
M: Mopar, silver badge
Topre: Nissho KB106DE
Alps: blues, whites, green

Offline dish

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:56:34 »
When you type fast you barely feel the switch. Whether it's browns or an 80g tactile, you can only really tell if the switch actuated or not. With linears you can't really tell. This matters maybe 1/30 or 1/100 errors, and when you type fast you will only mentally realize you messed up 4-8 keys later depending on sequence. Realizing it mentally, instead of seeing it on screen, saves your wpm a ton over having to look at where you messed up.

The other advantage of tactile is you know the exact point it actuates in games and during casual use. You can ride right near the point and hit it, and it's very clear when you've let the key go or pressed it. With linears like reds it's really not obvious even after years of use so you always kinda have to hover and do very clear press+releases. Which isn't ideal in wasd games like CSGO where precise timing is everything for counterstrafing and "ad".

I can type the same speed on linear or tactile (140wpm lifetime average over 8 years, 154wpm average over past few months, & a bit over 1k races on typeracer with the only skipped races being ones where an application popped up or something, best race >210wpm on a ~30s passage.)

I used reds for 7? years, brown for 1-2 before that, and am using gateron silent browns+thick orings right now. I've also used heavier switches and just don't see the point, and to be honest browns/silent browns feel heavy after using the same mx reds for ages. Actuation force drops with usage. I remember when I first got mx reds I was accidentally hitting modifier keys and all kinds of stuff, and now they take ~3/4 the force to press as new reds and I never accidentally hit anything.

My big gripe with browns & silent browns is they actuate ~10%-20% later than mx reds. I'd prefer the bump+actuation come a bit sooner. Box Browns actually actuate closer to reds and that's nice, but I'm not using a non-silent switch in 2020 and I dislike the box part of box browns. I'm not sure where the lighter aliaz actuate, and sites don't seem to test that anymore which kinda sucks because it's super important.  I've never tried speed switches but I'd probably like them for typing. Not so much gaming.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 13:14:29 by dish »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 13:29:49 »
When you type fast you barely feel the switch. Whether it's browns or an 80g tactile, you can only really tell if the switch actuated or not. With linears you can't really tell. This matters maybe 1/30 or 1/100 errors, and when you type fast you will only mentally realize you messed up 4-8 keys later depending on sequence. Realizing it mentally, instead of seeing it on screen, saves your wpm a ton over having to look at where you messed up.

The other advantage of tactile is you know the exact point it actuates in games and during casual use. You can ride right near the point and hit it, and it's very clear when you've let the key go or pressed it. With linears like reds it's really not obvious even after years of use so you always kinda have to hover and do very clear press+releases. Which isn't ideal in wasd games like CSGO where precise timing is everything for counterstrafing and "ad".

I can type the same speed on linear or tactile (140wpm lifetime average over 8 years, 154wpm average over past few months, & a bit over 1k races on typeracer with the only skipped races being ones where an application popped up or something, best race >210wpm on a ~30s passage.)

I used reds for 7? years, brown for 1-2 before that, and am using gateron silent browns+thick orings right now. I've also used heavier switches and just don't see the point, and to be honest browns/silent browns feel heavy after using the same mx reds for ages. Actuation force drops with usage. I remember when I first got mx reds I was accidentally hitting modifier keys and all kinds of stuff, and now they take ~3/4 the force to press as new reds and I never accidentally hit anything.

My big gripe with browns & silent browns is they actuate ~10%-20% later than mx reds. I'd prefer the bump+actuation come a bit sooner. Box Browns actually actuate closer to reds and that's nice, but I'm not using a non-silent switch in 2020 and I dislike the box part of box browns. I'm not sure where the lighter aliaz actuate, and sites don't seem to test that anymore which kinda sucks because it's super important.  I've never tried speed switches but I'd probably like them for typing. Not so much gaming.

I think treeleaf64 was talking specifically about MX browns, since a lot of people (myself included) think they're literally the worst modern switch they've ever felt in their lives, the tactility being entirely limited to varying levels of grit when typing. I don't know if he's entirely a clicky guy, but he does seem to have an interest in vintage clickies, so I don't imagine it was framed at all as a linear vs tactile thing, just a dislike of that specific Cherry switch.

I didn't dislike box browns, which is saying a lot from me in regards to tactiles. Gateron browns were pretty nice too. What is it about the box design that's not to like? The weird spring setup specific to their tactiles? I love the ip56 rating, and the clickbars, since I'm a clicky guy.

Offline rhapsody

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 08:24:55 »

I registered just to reply to this thread. Your experience on typeracer and switch experience is very similar to mine except I'm a bit slower at 127 overall over 4k races with 155 at highest burst. I know exactly what you mean by the bit about high key caps catching your finger during transitions which led me to finding DSA keycaps which is shorter, flatter and wider than the standard cherry after wearing out the stock caps on my brown mx filcos I used over 10 years. Then I found topre and have been using topre 55g for about 3 years now.
What did you think about topre vs the brown mx?
I'm also curious about kailh low profiles as someone mentioned since the unnecessary long travel and scratchiness of the mx browns are what I would change about it.

Offline jamster

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 09:33:07 »
On switches that I like, my typing speed (around 80wpm, but that's based on a single typing test done out of boredom last year, because I have no interest in speed) is more dependent on my mood, how tired I am, and whether or not I'm 'in the zone.' All the switches I like are midweight tactile.

On switches that I dislike, I simply make loads of errors so spend a lot of time on backspace. This would be any linear switch (including MX Browns, which are practically linear), and modern chicket keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2020, 09:34:44 by jamster »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 09:34:42 »
An above average typist can type at the same pace on any board.

Offline teexcue

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 20:55:04 »
Gat Reds: 65 wpm
Cherry Blues: 75 wpm
2016 MacBook Pro: 88 wpm

Love the feels of mech switches, but I’m definitely faster and more accurate on a short travel laptop keyboard.

Offline Skelig

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 22:05:53 »
I set a PB with 151 WPM in 2012 with my Model M, matched it four years later on MX Blues with another 151 WPM. Fast forward to a few days ago and with my new Blue Alps board I've had two more 151s and finally broke the curse with a 152.

During those years I've tried out a variety of other switches and generally saw similar results to each other, 140~145 WPM generally. Blue Alps are incredible now that I'm pretty consistently breaking 150.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 20:24:26 »

Patently incorrect, the lack of feedback on linears makes typing accurately at high speed next to impossible.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:34:27 »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 12:30:16 »
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline funkmon

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 18:18:20 »

Offline Mekanist

• Archetype
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:20:43 »
Lubed and Filmed T1s for alphas, Zilent housing with Cream Stems for Mods :D

Offline c0rbin

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 00:04:53 »
Laptop scissor switches, hands down.
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown w/ PBT caps and O-ring mod

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 19:20:21 »
Light-ish lubed linears for me, around the 60g ballpark. Clickies seem to slow me down, and I'm too inconsistent on any tactiles. Also, for some reason I've been typing faster on SA rather than Cherry profile, which is baffling to me.