Author Topic: What Model M connection is this?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Roguemaster8

What Model M connection is this?
« on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:03:58 »
This picture is taken from the back of a Model M 1390120 that was manufactured in January 1987.
I knew the earlier models used AT connections but was wondering if a PS/2 cable from Unicomp would fit and work just as well.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42032[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the help, I've never owned a Model M before, so my knowledge of them is fairly limited.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

fossala

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:06:05 »
SDL. Doesn't say much as both ps2 and at connections used SDL's as there socket.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:37:55 by fossala »

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:11:23 »
The one I'm looking at doesn't come with a cable, and researching it I found out it uses an AT cable.
Does this mean I would need to buy an AT cable and then an AT to PS/2 converter to get it to work?

fossala

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:29:51 »
The model number you are looking at seems to be an AT model.
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9231/subcatid/0/id/112510

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:35:47 »
I see, thanks for the link.

Does anyone know of a retailer selling AT cables?

fossala

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:40:13 »
I cannot find any, at the cheap price of model M's in the US wouldn't it be just cheaper to get a ps/2 model?

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 03:03:42 »
Wanted the 1390120 for collecting reasons, and also found a cheap sale for one for $15.

Just was checking to see if finding an AT cable was possible. Or if I could interface it some other way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 07:39:18 »
The 120 should work with either cable, AT or PS2, black or beige. I have never had a 120 but I have had a couple of 131s and I think they are the same.

I am pretty sure that the originals came with a "short" black coiled cable with the large 180 degree DIN connector. That one should work with a DIN-to-PS2 adapter.

Those would be less desirable for someone actually using the board, but I understand that you want the old one for collecting. I might have 2 of those, if I find the extra I would consider selling it to you.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 13:28:26 »
Thanks for all the replies. I would like to start a collection but having fully working models would be nice too.