Author Topic: [GB] Noxary X60 V1  (Read 457538 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: [GB] Noxary X60
« Reply #1900 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 19:38:35 »
Great to see all the partisanship in here

Do I need to remind people that everybody paid the same amount?
I don't see how that entitles people to be able to choose a board that is arguably worth much more than others?

Offline Danboard

« Reply #1901 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 20:36:34 »
I agree that original order number makes the most sense. Maybe shipping order would make sense if xondat continued to send out invoices, but he completely stopped so I'd say original order makes the most sense.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #1902 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 20:43:25 »
Considering it had been stated for many months now that shipping order would be determined by the order in which invoices were paid, I think that it should stay that way.  I could see having the individuals who got the GB off the ground having first choice, but IMO rng is absolutely the most unfair way of doing it, as is going by original order number.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1903 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 20:45:31 »
Considering it had been stated for many months now that shipping order would be determined by the order in which invoices were paid, I think that it should stay that way.  I could see having the individuals who got the GB off the ground having first choice, but IMO rng is absolutely the most unfair way of doing it, as is going by original order number.
I agree.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #1904 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:06:40 »
I agree.

+1

We're all likely similarly hosed. With 75-90% of the parts problematic, this is going to be the ultimate DIY GB. We're all going to have to look into reanodizing, finding a cerakote shop or sticker bombing. I think Xondat's plan of taking care of those who bought in way early and helped fund the prototypes makes sense. Then follow the shipping plan he was planning on following all along. Just my two cents. I'm not too worried since I know whenever mine ships, I'm going to probably look to re-do as much as possible.

Xondat is handling this as well as possible. There are always risks to GBs and this can happen. That said, for a $350 board, production was a $#!@ show, there's no money or path to fix that and we're on our own to fix it, whenever they ship.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #1905 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:14:03 »
I agree.

+1

We're all likely similarly hosed. With 75-90% of the parts problematic, this is going to be the ultimate DIY GB. We're all going to have to look into reanodizing, finding a cerakote shop or sticker bombing. I think Xondat's plan of taking care of those who bought in way early and helped fund the prototypes makes sense. Then follow the shipping plan he was planning on following all along. Just my two cents. I'm not too worried since I know whenever mine ships, I'm going to probably look to re-do as much as possible.

Xondat is handling this as well as possible. There are always risks to GBs and this can happen. That said, for a $350 board, production was a $#!@ show, there's no money or path to fix that and we're on our own to fix it, whenever they ship.

We all paid the same amount of money?

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #1906 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:18:13 »
I for once don't mind any kind of order as far as I get mine soon. We'll all end up having some visible imperfections.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #1907 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:18:33 »
I agree.

+1

We all paid the same amount of money?

Except for 10 Carbon folks and depending on extras, yes.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #1908 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 12:55:22 »
I think that the founders and carbon should really get first pick.  I know alot of founders/carbon who were really hyped on the board and waited patiently to be one of the first to get the board. It makes no sense to go off of shipping invoice when people weren't notified about it. 

As a GB runner I would definitely thank those who made the jump to support me from the beginning. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 12:57:33 by slickmamba »
Hi :)

Offline doom2

« Reply #1909 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 22:53:38 »
I would like RNG. In the end, most if not all people will be unhappy. Arguments can be made for early supporters, for people like myself trying to sell our spots, etc. Why not just make it random?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #1910 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 23:01:13 »
Great to see all the partisanship in here

Do I need to remind people that everybody paid the same amount?
I don't see how that entitles people to be able to choose a board that is arguably worth much more than others?

+1

Offline maximm

« Reply #1911 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 03:04:31 »
RNG is the worst possible option and will be suggested by everyone that did not support xondat from the beginning and were lazy paying for shipping. Also RNG was never an option, the two options were the shipping payment list or the founders/carbon suggestion.

Offline wodan

« Reply #1912 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 04:13:06 »
"The only valid/good way to handle this is one where I have a personal advantage"

- Everyone on the last two pages

Discussing this here might seem like a good & open idea but what it really does is bring people up against each other. Xondat I think it's better for the ongoing conversation here to quickly make a decision and stop giving people the impression it is still time to get an advantage.

Some people here brought up the valid consideration that damages are affecting the value of what we are getting. Here's my proposal to find a solution that might help find some way to mediate between those who want the best cases and those who will end up with beat up cases.

We're all in this boat together and it seems to be just a question of who gets the best cases and who gets a **** case. Why not separate the cases into three conditions "Good" "Okay" and "Damaged"

People who really want a "GOOD" case from the pile pay 50$ to a person who is getting a "Damaged" case.
If you want to have nothing to do with this you will end up with an average quality case at the price you paid. But since we can't all get the good cases, why not compensate someone who is willing to take a more damaged case for the privilege of getting one of the good ones.

I am not saything this is the perfect solution but it might help some people settle for a damaged case and  allows people who are in it for a top end case to show some respect to those who get the bottom end stuff.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1913 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 10:46:27 »
Slots for sale in OP.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 August 2017, 14:54:53 by xondat »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1914 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 10:47:20 »
Keep the opinions coming in. Absolutely nothing is final yet.

I really like wodan's suggestion, but it still leaves the majority (with okay boards) still needing an order to chose.

I don't want to resort to going random as it does screw over people that were on top on everything. At minimum, I think early supporters that have stuck through should benefit, if anything. But then you have the problem (for example) of the 100th person paying the same as the 1st person.

From what people have said, no one has suggested anything that goes against them (apart from 1). I didn't really expect anyone to, but it does show what sort of opinion range we have. There are about 10 really good, 80 average, and 10 worse cases. The majority won't be affected, but it's going to be the first and last 10 that ultimately it'll affect.

Regarding when I stopped the shipping invoicing, there were 3 pending, and 72 had been invoiced total. The most someone could've gain is 3 slots - 72nd invoice to 70th paid.

Some people have been asking "my case is 1/1, why hasn't it been sent out?". I still have to document every single case - why? Well the factory could say they'll replace a small number of parts, and I'll have to pick out the worst parts. It'd be almost impossible to do this without all cases on hand.

I'll most likely resort to a vote including everyone. It's the absolute fairest way to allow the majority to decide. Please continue the discussion. There won't be a sudden jump to a decision, and I want everyones thoughts.

Offline avid

« Reply #1915 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 11:38:11 »
Wait, what?

People want to sell boards that came out damaged and you charge them a 5% handling fee?
Can't say i agree with Wodan. Wouldn't it make more sense that this money came out of xondat profits?

Offline doom2

« Reply #1916 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 11:49:21 »
My spot (68) is no longer listed for sale in the latest update, has it sold?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1917 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 11:54:47 »
People want to sell boards that came out damaged and you charge them a 5% handling fee?
Can't say i agree with Wodan. Wouldn't it make more sense that this money came out of xondat profits?

It's just PayPals fee.

Get up to date on the thread by reading all the recent big updates if you want to comment ;D

My spot (68) is no longer listed for sale in the latest update, has it sold?

It has, but Unforgiveable charged back so as soon as I got the money, it was immediately locked and then went into his wallet. I'm selling his remaining slots and then you'll be refunded.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #1918 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 12:31:04 »
Throwing in my vote for Xondat to make the executive decision on this asap so we can all move on. Feeling like a lot of cooks in the kitchen and there's no way to please everyone at this point. Xondat has run this buy well, I trust him to get it wrapped up reasonably.

However, paying a premium for less damage feels a bit like throwing good money after bad, though. I'm against that idea, sorry.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1919 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 12:35:07 »
I doubt anyone wants to pay another $50 for a case that's already imperfect.

that said, if someone wants to pay an extra $50 for the best condition case I'll be happy to be on the opposite end of that deal taking the ****tiest case for $50 and use that money towards getting it re-finished.

As a person who camped this thread from IC phase to get in on the original 30, early contributed to get a proto built, and checked the thread every day (therefore being aware to submit shipping quickly to get an early spot) RNG doesn't seem remotely fair.

Also, to those arguing that everyone paid the same amount -  if you factor in time value of money, those who paid earlier actually paid more than those who paid later.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #1920 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 15:07:51 »
I am not in this GB, and this is my personal opinion. But I take interest in how people run group buys and the conditions during and after the buy.

I suggest going with RNG. I don't agree with charging anyone more than they agreed to at the beginning, nor do I think anyone has priority on a case because of a paying earlier or on time, or faster than someone else. It's simply not fair (in my opinion) to prioritize someone's case quality based on payment time.

If there was a timing separation between the "first 8 or 10" people that are being talked about, then I think yes, they deserve to have priority. Like they paid a week or a month ahead to help make the prototype or something. But if they paid in the same invoicing period, then, they should be treated equally.

If I were in this buy, I'd be insulted if the runner asked me to pay more, for a better quality case. It just equates to how much money I have, and it's so late into the buy. Everyone should be treated equally, unless some special condition were in place. The timing of payment doesn't really mean much, if it was 1minute faster... 1 hour faster, doesn't seem fair to me because of global time differences. People are sleeping or maybe they're at school, or out with their family or something.

In any case, I think people just wants the case. Everyone is already going to get a case with some kind of issue, so RNG will assure the issues are random, and no one got special treatment.

Cheers, and good luck.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline jeffbolton

« Reply #1921 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 16:00:41 »
Take all cases, randomly assign them. Then ship in the order that invoices were paid.  I paid my invoice quickly because I wanted my board shipped quickly.  However i don't think it entitles me to a better board.

Honestly if the boards are similar in condition as my 27, which is not that bad, most people will be happy with what they get.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 16:03:32 by jeffbolton »

Offline axtran

« Reply #1922 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 23:26:26 »
I vote RNG to help fairness. There will be some people with unique orders who don't benefit from any type of additional anything, it'll just help everyone out, tbh.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #1923 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 03:09:14 »
I am not in this GB, and this is my personal opinion. But I take interest in how people run group buys and the conditions during and after the buy.

I suggest going with RNG. I don't agree with charging anyone more than they agreed to at the beginning, nor do I think anyone has priority on a case because of a paying earlier or on time, or faster than someone else. It's simply not fair (in my opinion) to prioritize someone's case quality based on payment time.

If there was a timing separation between the "first 8 or 10" people that are being talked about, then I think yes, they deserve to have priority. Like they paid a week or a month ahead to help make the prototype or something. But if they paid in the same invoicing period, then, they should be treated equally.

If I were in this buy, I'd be insulted if the runner asked me to pay more, for a better quality case. It just equates to how much money I have, and it's so late into the buy. Everyone should be treated equally, unless some special condition were in place. The timing of payment doesn't really mean much, if it was 1minute faster... 1 hour faster, doesn't seem fair to me because of global time differences. People are sleeping or maybe they're at school, or out with their family or something.

In any case, I think people just wants the case. Everyone is already going to get a case with some kind of issue, so RNG will assure the issues are random, and no one got special treatment.

Cheers, and good luck.

This right here. Why the **** would anyone pay more for a case that's already ruined? Doesn't make any sense at all. This sounds like the fairest way possible.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1924 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 07:04:12 »
I agree with jchan94

Can you please upload some photos of the worst ones Xondat.
Depending on how bad they are I will take one of those

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #1925 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 10:05:49 »
I don't like the idea of going rng, but I'm honestly happy with any kind of solution that wraps this up fast.

As far as I can tell both, getting replacements and refinishing have been ruled out, so I don't see the need to catalogue each an every case honestly.
Just get them out so we can take care of refinishing them

Offline DanB

« Reply #1926 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 15:15:28 »
I am not in the buy, but would be fine buying one of the really damaged boards if it was less than GB price.

To me, it does not seem right to have people buy in for a damaged board at the price of what people originally assumed would be undamaged.
Kingsaver, Koala

Offline pvd

« Reply #1927 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 15:20:30 »
I bought a spot only a few weeks ago, so naturally I vote RNG. Sounds like any of the other options would guarantee that I'd be screwed over.  ;D

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1928 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 15:37:53 »
I'd like to see RNG as well, and if there is compensation from the factory, spread it out on the people receiving damaged cases(more compensation for more damaged , less for less damaged etc) .

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1929 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:14:52 »
I see 4 clear options right now:
  • Shipping order dictates the choosing order, cases go out as soon as they're chosen
  • Original order number dictates the choosing order, cases go out as soon as they're chosen
  • Random order of picking cases, cases go out as soon as they're chosen
  • Randomly chosen cases, goes out in shipping order

If there is a major reject to any of these options, then I won't include them in the poll. I'll post it (and email all current participants) in 24 hours and then we can decide as a group.

It depends how you rank them. Here are a few pictures. For some reason, imgur destroys the iPhone picture quality so any hints on that would be appreciated.

Again, depends what you're looking for and what you call bad. Personally the black is worse than the silver case. This is also only based on the top pieces - not sure if its worth bothering talking about the bottom pieces as they show the same sorts of scratches, but its on the face that is on the desk.

As far as I can tell both, getting replacements and refinishing have been ruled out, so I don't see the need to catalogue each an every case honestly.
Just get them out so we can take care of refinishing them

Word on replacements still isn't final but I'm not waiting on them at the minute. I want to catalog the cases no matter what because the following could happen: I send out all cases, factory agrees to replace a small amount of parts, I don't know who to send to due to not knowing who got what.

I am not in the buy, but would be fine buying one of the really damaged boards if it was less than GB price.

None can be sold below GB price.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:28:23 by xondat »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1930 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:33:46 »
Not sure if I'm looking at it won't but these all seem like pretty minor defects. I was expecting entire corners to be chipped and dented

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1931 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:56:57 »
Not sure if I'm looking at it won't but these all seem like pretty minor defects. I was expecting entire corners to be chipped and dented

The scratches are the only sort of physical change; all boards are absolutely functional. It's basically only the aesthetics that are ruined. There are three bases that are dented but I should get replacements on those and also on the weights that weren't made correctly.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #1932 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 17:42:30 »
For some reason, imgur destroys the iPhone picture quality so any hints on that would be appreciated.

Imgur compresses all uploads, so unless you change your filehost you won't be able to change that.

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #1933 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 18:31:08 »
Eh it doesn't seem to be something to fret over, maybe for colours like black or blue. My KBD75 came to me in far worse condition than any of these with multiple scratches on almost all sides and that's on top of already ****ty quality aluminium.

Please just get this sorted and shipped out as soon as possible. It's a sad day indeed when people begin not only to pull the "I'm in a group buy therefore I'm entitled to updates", but now also "I got in early in a group buy without any distinct time stages and thus deserve special treatment over others paying the same money" card.

Unless for founders and carbon, of course. Priority for those cases makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #1934 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 18:34:18 »
I personally think that option 3. or 4. are the best for everyone and I had a fairly early shipping order. Can't wait to have this wrapped up and have this sitting pretty on my desk  ;D
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1935 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 19:38:01 »
This is going to seem like a really long winded, over complicated solution to distribution but I'll try and explain it the best I can.

There are 20 different variants of X60 as you can see in this table here:

Therefore there are 20 groups of people. There are 11 groups with more than 1 person. I will contact each group of people with an individual poll so that each group can decide.

I'm aiming to make it as fair as possible for everyone involved. If I just poll all 95 people, there is the chance that all the people with Black HHKBs vote completely differently compared to Winkeyless Dark Grays. They don't affect each other unless in the same vote, and as they're different cases it wouldn't make sense.

If you're in the buy, you won't see any difference whether I poll for 95 people or 11 groups. You still have to fill it in, but now there is the chance that your group may choose something different.

With smaller groups (probably 4 max), I think it would be easier just to have a group chat and let it be worked out. I say this because I talked to the 2 people that have a Red 60%, and they came to a conclusion that worked for us all.

If you're the only person with a variant of a case, I'll contact you on here so we can get it in motion as quickly as possible.

I understand that a lot of people at this point just want their case. I get that and I also want the cases in your hands instead of mine. I'll be working as effectively as possible to get cases out. I don't see a reason why the large majority of cases can't be out within the next two weeks. I plan to complete cataloguing by the end of the week (16th).

All red cases have been packaged and they're ready to be collected tomorrow (Monday).
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:28:28 by xondat »

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1936 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 20:57:16 »
This is going to seem like a really long winded, over complicated solution to distribution but I'll try and explain it the best I can.

Show Image

Therefore there are 20 groups of people. There are 11 groups with more than 1 person. I will contact each group of people with an individual poll so that each group can decide.

I'm aiming to make it as fair as possible for everyone involved. If I just poll all 95 people, there is the chance that all the people with Black HHKBs vote completely differently compared to Winkeyless Dark Grays. They don't affect each other unless in the same vote, and as they're different cases it wouldn't make sense.

If you're in the buy, you won't see any difference whether I poll for 95 people or 11 groups. You still have to fill it in, but now there is the chance that your group may choose something different.

With smaller groups (probably 4 max), I think it would be easier just to have a group chat and let it be worked out. I say this because I talked to the 2 people that have a Red 60%, and they came to a conclusion that worked for us all.

If you're the only person with a variant of a case, I'll contact you on here so we can get it in motion as quickly as possible.

I understand that a lot of people at this point just want their case. I get that and I also want the cases in your hands instead of mine. I'll be working as effectively as possible to get cases out. I don't see a reason why the large majority of cases can't be out within the next two weeks. I plan to complete cataloguing by the end of the week (16th).

All red cases have been packaged and they're ready to be collected tomorrow (Monday).

Would it make sense to split the Black group into "Carbon" and "Others"? Two reasons

1) Carbon paid a higher price

2) There was no other color choice for Carbon.

Due to the limit of 10, the carbon owners will be underrepresented in any group. Doesn't feel right you could get a worse case as a Carbon owner when you had no choice of color, and paid more to boot.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #1937 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 20:58:54 »

Show Image

Would it make sense to split the Black group into "Carbon" and "Others"? Two reasons

Due to the limit of 10, the carbon owners will be underrepresented in any group. Doesn't feel right you could get a worse case as a Carbon owner when you had no choice of color, and paid more to boot.
I agree with limitz on this one.

Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline briannnn

« Reply #1938 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:16:34 »

Show Image

Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, I thought the higher price for carbon was for numbered SS weight and CF plate... so I don't see why the cases should be handled differently.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1939 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:19:20 »

It depends how you rank them. Here are a few pictures. For some reason, imgur destroys the iPhone picture quality so any hints on that would be appreciated.

Show Image

Show Image

This is all the same top piece:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Again, depends what you're looking for and what you call bad. Personally the black is worse than the silver case. This is also only based on the top pieces - not sure if its worth bothering talking about the bottom pieces as they show the same sorts of scratches, but its on the face that is on the desk.
If this is what all the damage looks like I would think that re-ano would definitely make them look better.
Like I said before, of course it wouldn't help with dings/dents.
However it would be even better if the shop ends up deciding to replace the damaged boards.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline axtran

« Reply #1940 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 22:32:37 »
If this is what all the damage looks like I would think that re-ano would definitely make them look better.
However it would be even better if the shop ends up deciding to replace the damaged boards.

Proper reanodizing will require stripping of all of the affected boards to get rid of the last color, and then redip into each color to reanodize. You're going to get better results receiving the board and then attempting to have a better quality shop do the work, if this is the result of the existing shop's work. Plus, shipping to China and back will probably equal more taxes to xondat upon receipt, etc. The local anodizing shop that he's contacted doesn't look like they're going to be very confident in doing a better job, either. Anodizing is at a tiny-tiny-tiny level, it isn't like painting a layer on metal.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline mindxthinker

« Reply #1941 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 22:53:13 »
Use black monami name pen to cover up scratches on black cases. (If you mess up with marking.. don't worry use medical alcohol to erase the ink and redo it again until you are happy with the result.)
Trust me, it works well and a lot of anodizing companies uses this method for black cases with defect.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 July 2017, 22:56:11 by mindxthinker »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1942 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 23:21:32 »

Proper reanodizing will require stripping of all of the affected boards to get rid of the last color, and then redip into each color to reanodize. You're going to get better results receiving the board and then attempting to have a better quality shop do the work, if this is the result of the existing shop's work. Plus, shipping to China and back will probably equal more taxes to xondat upon receipt, etc. The local anodizing shop that he's contacted doesn't look like they're going to be very confident in doing a better job, either. Anodizing is at a tiny-tiny-tiny level, it isn't like painting a layer on metal.

Right. I'm aware of how the process works.  What I was saying is that from the looks of the pictures, re-ano is an option that would make them look better then their current state.
I look forward to seeing how the ones he had done at his local place turns out.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #1943 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 23:42:17 »
I have no stake in this matter (hoping for X75 to drop), but have looked into possible fixes myself. Sadly, the conclusion I've reached is that there is not much to be done without having the anodization stripped in the first place. Even going another route and powder-coating over the anodization can lead to chipping (which is likely the case here), but a full strip, prep, and powder-coat shouldn't lead to any issues (it's just a bit costly).

Still, I wouldn't blame Xondat for this since the samples shown to him were free of defects. These kind of underhanded tactics happen all too often, best that can be done is learn from them.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1944 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 05:58:45 »

Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, I thought the higher price for carbon was for numbered SS weight and CF plate... so I don't see why the cases should be handled differently.

Yup, originally (when there was 10 Carbon/30 Founders) the price difference was $50 when you added the SS weight and CF plate.

Right. I'm aware of how the process works.  What I was saying is that from the looks of the pictures, re-ano is an option that would make them look better then their current state.
I look forward to seeing how the ones he had done at his local place turns out.

I think reanodizing would make the colored boards look better but it would only be a cover up. From what I gathered, it wasn't worth the risk. I'll still be trying a couple samples to see how they turn out.

I have no stake in this matter (hoping for X75 to drop), but have looked into possible fixes myself. Sadly, the conclusion I've reached is that there is not much to be done without having the anodization stripped in the first place. Even going another route and powder-coating over the anodization can lead to chipping (which is likely the case here), but a full strip, prep, and powder-coat shouldn't lead to any issues (it's just a bit costly).

Still, I wouldn't blame Xondat for this since the samples shown to him were free of defects. These kind of underhanded tactics happen all too often, best that can be done is learn from them.

X75 probably won't be happening in it's current form any time soon, just so you know :'(

I think most people don't care enough when comparing how much it'd cost to fully fix and would rather get their case which is perfectly reasonable. Would be interesting to see some powder coated cases though.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1945 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 06:47:17 »
Just to confirm, no matter what order we end up on going with on the distribution front, we are still going to receive the board that we asked for? i.e. dark grey HHKB?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1946 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 06:50:45 »
Just to confirm, no matter what order we end up on going with on the distribution front, we are still going to receive the board that we asked for? i.e. dark grey HHKB?

Of course. No configurations are changing.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1947 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 07:14:45 »

Of course. No configurations are changing.
Awesome thanks dude

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1948 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 07:24:04 »
Heading to the anodizing place to get a few black parts reanodized as a test. Should have them back by the end of the week. I'll take before and after pictures!

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #1949 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 08:42:51 »
Heading to the anodizing place to get a few black parts reanodized as a test. Should have them back by the end of the week. I'll take before and after pictures!

The parts will be completely stripped before anodizing correct?

If reanodizing will fix the issues, is this a financially viable option for all cases?

Doubt it will happen, but I would personally prefer a fully stripped of anodizing option because I have already looked into getting them powder coated.