Author Topic: Beginner at making own custom KB... help me through this journey guys! <3  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】

Hello, everyone, I will start with wishing everyone a Happy New Year, I hope 2018 will be an awesome year for you guys in Geekhack! :D

So I got this brilliant idea from nowhere to build my own 60% custom keyboard all by myself... with no experience at all.
I have done some basic research and have been watching videos about how you make keyboard yourself.
So I have picked some parts for my keyboard that I found and I like and some parts I need help with and I will tell you why in just a moment.

1 Case https://www.massdrop.com/buy/npkc-60-wooden-keyboard-case ( Color Black )

2 Switches Kailh Box White Switches ( QUESTION? are those switches good for gaming? Because I love how they sound and they remember me of romer G switches from my brothers KB Logitech G810...

3 Keycaps I wanna go with Chocolatier Custom SA Keycap Set... but I can't find where I can order them.

4 PCB THIS IS THE REAL QUESTION... I don't understand is this where I will connect the USB to and also what PCB is the best for no input lag or ghosting... I don't know what I am saying LMAO <3 Correct me if I am wrong guys!

5 PCB Mounts Stabilizer Do you guys have any link to good Mounts Stabilizers?

QUESTIONS?

Soldering part  I have been wondering about... I heard that it is dangerous to breathe in the smoke coming while working with it... If open the room windows and let in fresh air will it be enough or maybe even have a little fan blowing away the smoke from me? :)

What USB cable to I need? USB Micro B or USB C?

DID I miss anything, if so please tell me!

Thanks in advance guys! <3

// FLawLesS TaStE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Rd453-NZtetCe4vGYaEnQ

Offline Harms

Re: Beginner at making own custom KB... help me through this journey guys! <3
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 21:42:47 »
Hello

I'm no expert, but I have done some projects.

Yes solder fumes are not good for you. However, they are not sudden death.

Just solder in a spacious area with good air circulation. Maybe open up a window or have a ceiling fan running. If you are really scared of the fumes you could wear a surgical mask.

The USB cable depends on the PCB. Most custom PCB's are Mini USB B. Check the connector of the PCB to be sure. By the way, not all key caps are obtainable at any time. Some key caps were past Group Buy's that may or may not come back.

Make sure to get good soldering equipment as it makes a huge difference on the solder joints and makes everything easier. For Soldering irons Hako and Weller make great irons. I use a WES51 Weller Soldering station.

Make sure to also get good soldering wire that is rosin core. I use Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder. Here is the thread for Soldering tips and equipment https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42824.0

Finally, make sure to grab authentic cherry PCB stabilizers. Some are fake and they rattle.

The real ones have four legs on them. The fake ones have two. The two legs are usually clipped for a better feel. Refer to this video for more info

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 21:54:41 by Harms »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 03:53:14 »
Hello and welcome to Geekhack.

In addition to what Harms suggested:

Case ( Color Black )
The choice of the case is a personal preference, the one you picked up is a standard Pok3r case with a USB mini-B opening; that means that a PCB with Type-C, say the ORG60, won't fit, so choose your PCB carefully.

Kailh Box White Switches
Again personal preference. They seem to have a good reputation, just make sure (google it) that they fit SA keycaps.

I wanna go with Chocolatier Custom SA Keycap Set... but I can't find where I can order them.
They were sold through a group buy so you have to buy them second hand. Try the mechmarket.

PCB
Have you ordered one already? If not, the closest shops to you (hence those with supposedly lower shipping costs) are Candykeys in Germany and Falbatech in Poland. There could be others so, again, google it.

I don't understand is this where I will connect the USB to
The type-A terminal goes to the computer while the mini-B one goes to the PCB.

and also what PCB is the best for no input lag or ghosting
None of the commercial PCB that I know suffers from ghosting. As for input lag I don't have any reliable source for informations but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Do you guys have any link to good Mounts Stabilizers?
Everyone I know in Europe seems to be out of stock, anyway try contacting Mekanisk, Candykeys or Falbatech.

I heard that it is dangerous to breathe in the smoke coming while working with it... If open the room windows and let in fresh air will it be enough or maybe even have a little fan blowing away the smoke from me? :)
Breathing the fumes is surely not healthy and a mask or good ventilation is not enough in my opinion. I've always felt dizzy after soldering and it's been much better since I bought myself a fumes extractor.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 06:37:33 »
Thank you for the tips and for the help bro! 
:)

Hello

I'm no expert, but I have done some projects.

Yes solder fumes are not good for you. However, they are not sudden death.

Just solder in a spacious area with good air circulation. Maybe open up a window or have a ceiling fan running. If you are really scared of the fumes you could wear a surgical mask.

The USB cable depends on the PCB. Most custom PCB's are Mini USB B. Check the connector of the PCB to be sure. By the way, not all key caps are obtainable at any time. Some key caps were past Group Buy's that may or may not come back.

Make sure to get good soldering equipment as it makes a huge difference on the solder joints and makes everything easier. For Soldering irons Hako and Weller make great irons. I use a WES51 Weller Soldering station.

Make sure to also get good soldering wire that is rosin core. I use Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder. Here is the thread for Soldering tips and equipment https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42824.0

Finally, make sure to grab authentic cherry PCB stabilizers. Some are fake and they rattle.

The real ones have four legs on them. The fake ones have two. The two legs are usually clipped for a better feel. Refer to this video for more info

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 07:55:41 »

Case ( Color Black )
The choice of the case is a personal preference, the one you picked up is a standard Pok3r case with a USB mini-B opening; that means that a PCB with Type-C, say the ORG60, won't fit, so choose your PCB carefully.

If I get a SATAN GH60 PCB will it fit the case?

PCB
Have you ordered one already? If not, the closest shops to you (hence those with supposedly lower shipping costs) are Candykeys in Germany and Falbatech in Poland. There could be others so, again, google it.

No, I have not... should I order PCB from your links or from https://1upkeyboards.com? I live in Sweden which one would deliver fastest? :)

I don't understand is this where I will connect the USB to
The type-A terminal goes to the computer while the mini-B one goes to the PCB.

SATAN GH60 what USB does it have C or micro b USB?  :)

Do you guys have any link to good Mounts Stabilizers?
Everyone I know in Europe seems to be out of stock, anyway try contacting Mekanisk, Candykeys or Falbatech.

What stabilizer should I get if I go with PCB Satan GH60 the stabilizer 6.25 U or 7 U? Is the difference in length for the space bar key?

I heard that it is dangerous to breathe in the smoke coming while working with it... If open the room windows and let in fresh air will it be enough or maybe even have a little fan blowing away the smoke from me? :)
Breathing the fumes is surely not healthy and a mask or good ventilation is not enough in my opinion. I've always felt dizzy after soldering and it's been much better since I bought myself a fumes extractor.
[/quote]

I will do it once is it enough with windows or maybe I find someone who can do it for me xD

Thanks for the help once again.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 08:07:34 »
If I get a SATAN GH60 PCB will it fit the case?
It will.

No, I have not... should I order PCB from your links or from https://1upkeyboards.com? I live in Sweden which one would deliver fastest? :)
1up is reliable but they are in the US, so shipping times might be longer and you would end up paying customs duties.

SATAN GH60 what USB does it have C or micro b USB?  :)
Neither. It has a Mini-B. Don't mix up USB types, you're risking to order the wrong stuff.
Here's a picture that should clarify.
That's said with the most friendly of the tones.

What stabilizer should I get if I go with PCB Satan GH60 the stabilizer 6.25 U or 7 U? Is the difference in length for the space bar key?
Correct, hence it's up to your liking. 6.25u is the so called standard spacebar (with three modifiers on the left and four on the right, being them all 1.25u large), while the 7u is the winkeyless one (although you can have 1u winkeys anyway).

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 13:53:40 »

Correct, hence it's up to your liking. 6.25u is the so called standard spacebar (with three modifiers on the left and four on the right, being them all 1.25u large), while the 7u is the winkeyless one (although you can have 1u winkeys anyway).
[/quote]

I have atm k65 RGB... I like how it is it had 1 windows key on the left and other side FN key if I wanna go with that layout should I go with 7u then? :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:03:22 »
I have atm k65 RGB... I like how it is it had 1 windows key on the left and other side FN key if I wanna go with that layout should I go with 7u then? :)
Yes. Controls and Alts would be 1.5u, winkeys 1u and the spacebar would be a 7u.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:08:40 »

Yes. Controls and Alts would be 1.5u, winkeys 1u and the spacebar would be a 7u.
[/quote]

So this would do the job I am still confused LMAO sry dude I am new at this. https://www.candykeys.com/product/gold-stabilizer-7u/

Also, what do you think which case should I go with?

1 the previous one
or
2 https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/pre-orderkbdfans-5-60-case

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:18:43 »
So this would do the job  https://www.candykeys.com/product/gold-stabilizer-7u/
Surely would but that's a premium product for it comes with a gold plated wire. Plain simple stabilizers sets would cost half that much.

Also, what do you think which case should I go with?
Whatever floats your boat. I own the second and I can vouch for its build quality.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:25:03 »

[/quote]Surely would but that's a premium product for it comes with a gold plated wire. Plain simple stabilizers sets would cost half that much.[/quote]

So example this is a 7u and ok one? https://falba.tech/product/pcb-mount-cherry-stabilizers-gh60/

Also where can I buy keycaps that look cool like most people custom keyboards.... that fits khali box clear switches.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:28:35 »
So example this is a 7u and ok one? https://falba.tech/product/pcb-mount-cherry-stabilizers-gh60/

Yes, and you can always buy stuff from the eastern market if you can wait two months to deliver.

Also where can I buy keycaps that look cool like most people custom keyboards.... that fits khali box clear switches.
I don't own Kailh box switches so I can't tell, keycaps are usually bought on shops or through group buys. You can, of course, buy them second hand.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:34:52 »
Thank for your help so far man I will come back again if something needed and I will show you final product :D
[/quote]
I don't own Kailh box switches so I can't tell, keycaps are usually bought on shops or through group buys. You can, of course, buy them second hand.
[/quote]

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:50:12 »
I will show you final product
Please do.
Have fun.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 08:49:58 »
Please do.
Have fun.
[/quote]

So I will share here my shop list ( have not ordered yet ) please guys tell me if something is missing or not fitting together.
Keycaps will be purchased later on.

Then I have to buy some soldering equipments....ohhh this is gonna cost me... just for a fcking custom keyboard xD

https://imgur.com/a/GfyTP

Thanks guys! <3
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:25:16 by FLawLesS »