Author Topic: [IC] XDA Oblique (GB live!)  (Read 169275 times)

Offline lolkey

Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (AEK-style keyset)
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 16:31:48 »
These look extremely nice, but I'm worried this will turn out like the Mito canvas set. They look awesome in the renders, then when you see the real product, the font is nothing like the renders. If you can get the product to look like the renders, this will easily be the best keycaps I've ever seen.

It would also be nice to have the option for off-shade modifiers, maybe like a very light grey.

Any pricing info yet?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 16:35:33 by lolkey »
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline drewba

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 16:36:26 »
+1 not loving XDA but I am loving the look.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:14:11 »
These look extremely nice, but I'm worried this will turn out like the Mito canvas set. They look awesome in the renders, then when you see the real product, the font is nothing like the renders. If you can get the product to look like the renders, this will easily be the best keycaps I've ever seen.

It would also be nice to have the option for off-shade modifiers, maybe like a very light grey.

Any pricing info yet?

What were the issues with the Mito's set? Factual information on them may lead to some corrective plan to avoid them to happen in this upcoming production.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #203 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 19:56:10 »
What were the issues with the Mito's set? Factual information on them may lead to some corrective plan to avoid them to happen in this upcoming production.

Contact Mito and ask! This looks amazing and I really really really really want this to be perfect.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:42:41 »
in!

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 03:14:52 »
Hey, very interested. Already submitted my email to the form.

Not too keen on the colours (maybe its the renders?) they appear too bright for the base set.

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 03:17:53 »
I'm working on contacting vendors at the moment ;)

An EU vendor would be nice..

I'm European too so I'll definitely get an EU vendor on board if I can :)

Nice!

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 11:46:50 »
Judging by the legends on the Mito Canvas keycaps I don't think the end product legends will look anything like the renders pictured here.

Offline PurpleURP

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:11:20 »
interested, glad to see XD64 2u shift compatibility 

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:54:35 »
Judging by the legends on the Mito Canvas keycaps I don't think the end product legends will look anything like the renders pictured here.

A couple of people have asked about this, and I'm not quite sure why canvas came out a bit blurry. Even though the font is quite narrow, the lines aren't actually that thin. If you look at some of the sublegends on the XDA Milestone sets they are way thinner and they came out razor sharp. XDA have told us that the font shouln't be a problem, and I'll definitely be asking for samples before the set goes into production to make sure. I have asked if they can make some samples before the GB starts, although I'm not sure if they'll agree.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:02:55 »

A couple of people have asked about this, and I'm not quite sure why canvas came out a bit blurry. Even though the font is quite narrow, the lines aren't actually that thin. If you look at some of the sublegends on the XDA Milestone sets they are way thinner and they came out razor sharp. XDA have told us that the font shouln't be a problem, and I'll definitely be asking for samples before the set goes into production to make sure. I have asked if they can make some samples before the GB starts, although I'm not sure if they'll agree.

Having some samples before the GB will be a great way to prevent any possible problem with the actual run. It may give people some realistic expectations on what they could actually expect from the final set. In the other hand, renders may mislead people to expect something that it is not actually feasible, an unrealistic expectation that may cause a lot of frustration down the road. An aftermath no GB leader wants.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:02:20 »
Haven't tried XDA yet, this looks nice :)

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:06:58 »

Having some samples before the GB will be a great way to prevent any possible problem with the actual run. It may give people some realistic expectations on what they could actually expect from the final set. In the other hand, renders may mislead people to expect something that it is not actually feasible, an unrealistic expectation that may cause a lot of frustration down the road. An aftermath no GB leader wants.

This set is exquisite. Let's hope everything goes according to plan and they stick up as closely to the original design as possible. This whole thing is just beyond awesome :)

Offline Gamatatsu

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:34:27 »
I will definitely be in for katakana and the base alphas. This set looks amazing! :D

Offline lolkey

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:19:56 »

He had a super clean looking render. The font had this very minimalistic thin profile and light weight to it. It looked really great. Fast forward to him getting samples and sharing. It looked like he took the font in the renders and jacked up the font weight. If you're unfamiliar, font weight controls the thickness of a font. Lower the weight, the thinner the character, and higher the weight, the thicker the character. Imagine renders having a font weight of like 300, then he shows the samples he received, and the font weight looks 900. It looked like the huge thick fonts they use on caller ids for old blind people. He was actually happy with it at first, but a lot of people complained. After a few days of complaints, he announced a delay to have them "revised". Mind you, this was nearly a year in or something crazy like that and people were still waiting.

Then he got the "revised" copies and they did look improved, but it still wasn't on point to what was shown in the render. The fonts had a weird fuzz to the edges like they weren't as sharp. It still had a different weight to the font. The characters looked bigger in general. For him, it was good enough. He claimed it was what he envisioned, so he gave the go ahead to mass produce. At that point, I think there had to be some pressure from Massdrop and also people getting annoyed it's taking so long.

The final product ended up looking like someone took the render font and applied semi-bold property to it. And also put a soften filter on all the characters to make them appear less sharp. At that point, I bailed and took a refund they were offering. They were already over priced, so I didn't have to think twice canceling and taking a refund.

This is just my opinion, but I think he choose a really cheap, or really bad company to do his dye sub. I remember at one point he came back to the community and said they couldn't get the characters any thinner because some limitations of dye sub in general, accounting for color bleed, blah, blah, blah. But I know for a fact that isn't entirely true. I have a Varmilo that comes with factory dye sub pbt that I paid extra for, and they look amazing (my favorite keycaps to date, still). Super sharp edges, nice thin profiles, etc. They look like they were lasered on, they're that good. Maybe whoever is in charge of the IC can contact them, as they do have custom dye-sub available!

It's amazing how bad they turned out and people still accepted them. It's so bad, that some letters look like an entirely different font face! Click to zoom:
Bonus content! Mito keycaps snapping off on the stem!

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:53:50 by lolkey »

Offline lolkey

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:34:40 »
double post
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:36:54 by lolkey »

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:37:32 »
Thanks, mate. I couldn't state it better. Yeah, that's what happened. I couldn't live with my set too, it had to go :(

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 01:07:16 »
I have a Varmilo that comes with factory dye sub pbt that I paid extra for, and they look amazing (my favorite keycaps to date, still)

Do you mind sharing some photos of that keyboard? Did the custom dye-sub come from Varmilo? How much did it cost you?

Thanks for the post. I came into this scene when that Mito's set already got the reputation of being vaporware, and I thought people have bene very happy with his XDA sets, so I had no idea.

Offline lolkey

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 01:48:33 »
I have a Varmilo that comes with factory dye sub pbt that I paid extra for, and they look amazing (my favorite keycaps to date, still)

Do you mind sharing some photos of that keyboard? Did the custom dye-sub come from Varmilo? How much did it cost you?

Thanks for the post. I came into this scene when that Mito's set already got the reputation of being vaporware, and I thought people have bene very happy with his XDA sets, so I had no idea.

I don't have a good enough camera, but it's this one. I paid about $150'ish shipped with dye sub pbt included (it's adds to the price). And yes, the dye sub is done by Varmilo and you can see it in above link. I also went with Gateron Red, which is cheaper, but the switches are much smoother. They also do custom layouts if you want to design your own set, you just send them an e-mail and ask them for the template, but it's pricey at $80.

Varmilo is my favorite keyboard out of the three I have in my signature by a pretty big margin. And Varmilo have the best stabilizers I've ever used, and it's not even close when it comes to cherry stabilizers, or costar. They make a great product.

You can also find the sets sold solo here. You might be able to get them cheaper direct from Varmilo e-mail. I think it's like $40 direct, but shipping adds to it.They have a ton of color options and you can mix/match modifier colors.

Example of how clean their dye-sub looks (i wouldn't be surprised if  they can do very light-weight fonts):

here is a great example of a properly done light weight font (kb is a feenix autore, believe the font is helvetica), but unsure of print method:

I agree with this. If you're going to be giving thousands of dollars for a product, the least they can do is print a few sample keys. Or at the very last, source the funds to get a sample print done. You don't need an entire set, just a letter to see how the quality is. Would be kind of dumb to give them the money, then get samples. What happens if you give them money for production, then they give samples that don't meet expectation set by your design? Or maybe they find out their equipment has trouble with thin characters, but they've only discovered it now, as it's their first time trying so thin, etc? You'll be stuck going through with compromises.

Also, have you thought about using a third party to handle the funds, like Massdrop? Will obviously cut into profits, but lots of scams with groupbuys were people go missing with active groupbuys. I wouldn't mind a slight increase in price for the insurance of a refund if things don't work out, or things fall through.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 03:19:22 by lolkey »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:35:09 »
Realistically Massdrop is the last place you'd want the GB to run if you're worried about something like dyesub fonts coming out okay, considering that they push things out before they're ready because they don't want to have too many delays.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:54:41 »
From what I understand blank keycaps are manufactured by one company and the dye-subbing is done by another, similar to how ePBT dye-subs Gateron blanks. There could well be multiple companies that dye-sub XDA keycaps. I know for a fact that the people I'm in contact with manufactured XDA Milestone and Cablecardesigns' XDA groupbuy. I've been told they did Massdrop's groupbuys too, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, look at these sublegends on XDA Milestone, they're way thinner than Canvas and came out really sharp. Whether Canvas was a different manufacturer or MD rushed them IDK, but thin fonts are definitely within their capabilities.

Also, have you thought about using a third party to handle the funds, like Massdrop? Will obviously cut into profits, but lots of scams with groupbuys were people go missing with active groupbuys. I wouldn't mind a slight increase in price for the insurance of a refund if things don't work out, or things fall through.

I will be running this through a Vendor. Given the amount of interest this has gotten I definitely wouldn't be able to run this on my own :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 08:04:08 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 08:23:26 »
From what I understand blank keycaps are manufactured by one company and the dye-subbing is done by another, similar to how ePBT dye-subs Gateron blanks. There could well be multiple companies that dye-sub XDA keycaps. I know for a fact that the people I'm in contact with manufactured XDA Milestone and Cablecardesigns' XDA groupbuy. I've been told they did Massdrop's groupbuys too, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, look at these sublegends on XDA Milestone, they're way thinner than Canvas and came out really sharp. Whether Canvas was a different manufacturer or MD rushed them IDK, but thin fonts are definitely within their capabilities.

Show Image

I will be running this through a Vendor. Given the amount of interest this has gotten I definitely wouldn't be able to run this on my own :))

Aren't those sublegends printed? The maim legends are dyesubed?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 09:47:07 »
Well Canvas wasn't the only problem child; dev/tty didn't have the same level of issue with the legends basically being completely different, but quality control wasn't really there, with random legends being slightly misaligned (varying from set to set).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 13:33:11 »
Quality assurance of the full supply chain involved sounds like a huge challenge for this set and its GB leader.

Offline pomk

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:08:13 »
Quality assurance of the full supply chain involved sounds like a huge challenge for this set and its GB leader.
The qa chain in this is only designer-vendor-manufacturer. What is the problem exactly?

Offline pomk

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:13:58 »
The sublegends are indeed printed. With dye sublimation technique.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:20:48 »
The qa chain in this is only designer-vendor-manufacturer. What is the problem exactly?

It appears that the caps are manufactured by one company and the die-sublimation is performed by one, of some, other company / individual. The main issue being the die sublimation part. The issue I see is that if the OP does not know which one is going to participate in this, it is not clear how the quality of the legends may be warranted.

We should let the involved parts alone, it is enough for now that someone has raised the concern about the legends. I am pretty sure the OP GB leader will take proper care of it.

Offline pomk

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:51:36 »

It appears that the caps are manufactured by one company and the die-sublimation is performed by one, of some, other company / individual. The main issue being the die sublimation part. The issue I see is that if the OP does not know which one is going to participate in this, it is not clear how the quality of the legends may be warranted.

XDA(or whichever company is making XDA caps, not sure if they share a name) is the only point of contact, and they provide dye sublimated keycaps for money. The QA chain is as simple as possible when a vendor is involved.

We should let the involved parts alone, it is enough for now that someone has raised the concern about the legends. I am pretty sure the OP GB leader will take proper care of it.
I'm pretty sure that the author was already interested in the quality of the product.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:58:54 by pomk »

Offline lolkey

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 22:19:59 »

Show Image

Those do look very good and look around the same size as your render when it comes to font weight, so maybe it is possible. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Good luck. :D

Also, anywhere we can get notifications when this goes live, or just have to follow this thread? Thanks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 22:27:08 by lolkey »

Offline whale-tail

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 00:17:34 »
First GB that has really caught my eye. The set looks fantastic, hope everything turns out well!

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 02:00:09 »
Please generate a render of Katakana alphas & base icon modifiers in TKL layout. I know I want base icon modifiers but not sure if base alphas or katakana is better for it. Thank you  :thumb:

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 10:25:12 »

They are dye-subbed, not pad printed.

Well Canvas wasn't the only problem child; dev/tty didn't have the same level of issue with the legends basically being completely different, but quality control wasn't really there, with random legends being slightly misaligned (varying from set to set).

Massdrop does seen to be the common factor in all these problem sets, not XDA :-\

Also, anywhere we can get notifications when this goes live, or just have to follow this thread? Thanks.

Yes, if you fill out your email here I'll email everyone when the groupbuy starts. (This link is also in the OP)

Please generate a render of Katakana alphas & base icon modifiers in TKL layout. I know I want base icon modifiers but not sure if base alphas or katakana is better for it. Thank you  :thumb:

I'll do one with katakana/icon mods anyway, it might not be TKL though.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #232 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 11:32:07 »
I'll do one with katakana/icon mods anyway, it might not be TKL though.

what's with the discrimination against TKL these days  :eek:

Jokes aside, would you consider splitting the Accent kit and Compatibility kits into Text version and Icon version like how Canvas did it? Canvas has Extra text mod vs Extra Icon mod and Bauhaus Text vs Bauhaus Icon and I picked up myself both icon kits. Personally I only want the Icon mods so with the kits in Oblique as they are, half of the keys (the text ones) are of no use to me. And since you only have 'Control' key in text, obviously they would need to be in the 'Icon' version of those kits should you agree to splitting.

Cheers!

Offline xyverz

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 00:43:01 »
I can't remember if I've posted on this thread or not, but I definitely want in on this set. I've submitted my email address to be notified. :-)

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 10:17:11 »
I am holding on to the sliver of hope that there will be an alps-mount version :(
SOMEONE PLEASE SELL/TRADE ME AN HHKB PRO 1

Offline guy_mcfly

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 19:09:08 »
Def on board for this set (assuming I have enough money by the time it comes out :P). Looking forward to it being my first groupbuy!

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 02:03:59 »
Does anybody know if XDA moulds exist for homing bars or bumps yet?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 05:46:37 »
I want this so badly... GB, please!

We're getting closer and closer to the GB stage, but first we want to sort out a few things first so we wont have any setbacks during the groupbuy. :)

Glad you are exited tho :)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 10:11:35 »
Guys, I've decided to switch to Cherry profile. The keys will be made by GMK, pad printed, the legends are too thin to doubleshot. Everything will be put together into one set to meet MOQ, 500 keys total. Price will be $400+shipping from my house. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit: For anyone reading this in the future this was an April fools joke.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:06:34 by dr_derivative »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 10:26:51 »
Guys, I've decided to switch to Cherry profile. The keys will be made by GMK, pad printed, the legends are too thin to doubleshot. Everything will be put together into one set to meet MOQ, 500 keys total. Price will be $400+shipping from my house. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Come on I’m sure you can do better than this... this is way to obvious :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 10:28:02 »

Oh, yes 1st of April :)

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 10:30:10 »

Oh, yes 1st of April :)
At least make it front side printed backlit...

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #244 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 10:42:11 »
Is there an estimate to when this will become available? Maybe August?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:11:19 »
Real update this time :))

XDA have agreed to make some dye-sub samples of the font before the groupbuy. There probably won't be much happening until those samples arrive.

I have been working on an Ergodox set since that was requested by a number of people when I last posted this on Reddit. And given the amount of support (or upvotes) this has gotten on Reddit I don't think MOQ will be too much of an issue.

I have been in contact with several vendors who have agreed to run/proxy this to various parts of the world. I'm not going to announce anything official yet until things are completely finalised, but we should have a vendor in Asia, EU, US, and Canada.

Is there an estimate to when this will become available? Maybe August?

Probably a lot earlier, but I really don't know for sure.

Does anybody know if XDA moulds exist for homing bars or bumps yet?

Not AFAIK, just scoops

Jokes aside, would you consider splitting the Accent kit and Compatibility kits into Text version and Icon version like how Canvas did it? Canvas has Extra text mod vs Extra Icon mod and Bauhaus Text vs Bauhaus Icon and I picked up myself both icon kits. Personally I only want the Icon mods so with the kits in Oblique as they are, half of the keys (the text ones) are of no use to me. And since you only have 'Control' key in text, obviously they would need to be in the 'Icon' version of those kits should you agree to splitting.

There is a lot of overlap between the two sets of mods in the compatibility and accent kits. Splitting the compatibility kit would leave 23 of the 34 keys, while it would leave 26 of the 35 for the accent kit. The difference isn't that big, an if I leave the sets as is we'd hit a higher MOQ, so there won't be that much difference in price. I really don't want to add another two kits since we already have so many, so I think I'll leave them as is for now. If pricing really is too steep I might reconsider this after I get some quotes closer to the GB.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 10:38:46 »
XDA have agreed to make some dye-sub samples of the font before the groupbuy. There probably won't be much happening until those samples arrive.

Awesome! Please do close-up pics of those sweet sweet legends!

There is a lot of overlap between the two sets of mods in the compatibility and accent kits. Splitting the compatibility kit would leave 23 of the 34 keys, while it would leave 26 of the 35 for the accent kit. The difference isn't that big, an if I leave the sets as is we'd hit a higher MOQ, so there won't be that much difference in price. I really don't want to add another two kits since we already have so many, so I think I'll leave them as is for now. If pricing really is too steep I might reconsider this after I get some quotes closer to the GB.

I see, thank you for the explanation. Now I would have to think hard about buying 2 alpha kits :p Looking forward to your Katakana + Icon mod render.

Offline lolkey

Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (awaiting samples)
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 00:38:35 »
Great news. Can't wait to see the samples.  ;D

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 13:07:05 »

XDA just emailed me these pictures :eek:

I'll take more photos when the samples arrive in Ireland.

These were just printed on some spare blanks so some legends are in the wrong places, but it should give a good idea of the dye sub quality ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2018, 13:12:26 by dr_derivative »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 13:12:16 »
Is it only me, or the mod's legends look darker and more saturated than the alpha's?