Author Topic: [IC] Atom 68 II  (Read 30726 times)

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
[IC] Atom 68 II
« on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 20:58:16 »
It's a great pleasure to meet you again. It's been one year since we released the original version of Atom68 Alu, during which time we keep improving the design of the next version. Now I will share the details of the Atom 68 II with you.
0 contents
1 The specs
2 The current status
3 Group Buy
4 FAQ
5 GALLERY
6 Update

1 The specs.
-Typing Angle: 6.5 °
-Materials: 6063 Aluminum & Polycarbonates & Brass
-Case options:
    o   Aluminum: anodized black, anodized grey, E-white, E-yellow.
    o   PC: black frosted & white frosted
-Weight options:
    o   PC: black frosted & white frosted
-Plate options
    o   brass (brushed)
    o   Gold plated FR4
-Plate mounting system: gasket sandwich
-PCB:
    o  Niz original factory electrostatic capacitive PCB components
    o 1.5mm black gold plated FR4, type-C daughterboard, QMK/VIA support (MX version only)
-Layout:

2 The current status
The prototype finished

3 Group Buy
Atom 68 II will be available as custom kits in a group buy. The kit will include the following parts:
-Top and bottom cases
-Plate: EC version or MX version
-PCB: MX version only, the EC PCB must be harvested from a regular NIZ Atom keyboard
-Additional EC switch housings (EC version only)
-Accessories: footpad, Type-C daughterboard, gaskets, screw.

4 FAQ
-   What are the changes compared with the V1 Atom68?
(1) Higher quality materials.
(2) Thread inserts for screw holes.
(3) Thicker gaskets.
(4) Improved solution for the Bluetooth module.
(5) Improved overall structure
-   Is it compatible with other NIZ keyboards such as NIZ66?
No, but we are also planning to make the aluminum cases for NIZ87 and more.
-   Is it possible to provide more colors?
If we see enough interests in the IC.
(6) Electrostatic capacity keyboard is more complex than a mechanical keyboard. What if I buy a kit and can't assemble it?
-  We will not only provide installation guidance, but also use the original NIZ production line to provide customers with original assembly services, providing you more choices,   

5 GALLERY

3D print prototype

CNC prototype

Color Poll link:https://discord.gg/cYUvMrPXJt
6 Updates
   2020.11.17 IC
   2020.11.19 add more logo picture
   2020.12.01 add 3D proto picture
   2020.12.03 CNC proto in the works
   2020.12.03 CNC proto finished
For more  information,pls visit:https://discord.gg/hNwcB9NAQ7
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2020, 05:46:28 by Nizkeyboard »

Offline yoot

• none
Re: [IC] Atom 68 II
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 21:00:49 »
I find it kind off weird that you aren't selling this with EC pcb as an option. Otherwise, looks good. GLWIC

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 21:07:20 »
Thank you for your advice. We will add the options you mentioned later, but it may be the keyboard already assembled

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 21:36:17 »
The main draw for this is the ec, pls dont leave out the pcb..! Thank you

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:38:47 »
The way I see it, another board like this doesn't really have anything going for it. With boards like the NK65 and that other polycarb 65 gb going on now, I don't think there's much demand for yet another one of them. I really think introducing plum switches on a keyboard with multiple plate options, gasket mounting/top mounting, and other mx board style features will draw people who like topre, but don't want to give up all the developments made in custom boards and their keycap sets.

Offline Sweep_the_Leg

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:53:17 »
100% agree that an EC pcb should be an option. That's what I love about my Atom68, and I'd hate to have to harvest it just for the aluminum case. Also, I agree with the poster above who said that's what makes this board different from everything else out there (that is, the EC switches). If it's just another 65% mx board, there are many available right now. 

Also, I'm not a big fan of the font for the "Atom II" on the bottom. The Niz badge on the previous edition looked great, but for me the font used here for the Atom II is just not attractive.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 00:34:08 »
100% agree that an EC pcb should be an option. That's what I love about my Atom68, and I'd hate to have to harvest it just for the aluminum case. Also, I agree with the poster above who said that's what makes this board different from everything else out there (that is, the EC switches). If it's just another 65% mx board, there are many available right now. 

Also, I'm not a big fan of the font for the "Atom II" on the bottom. The Niz badge on the previous edition looked great, but for me the font used here for the Atom II is just not attractive.
We certainly won't give up the EC PCB, the case was first made for the NIZ 68, and the MX pcb is just an additional option we added for a variety of options. We are also considering whether to sell the assembled PC case and aluminum case electrostatic capacitive keyboard.

Offline kawhi

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:52:36 »
very cool. e-yellow - sick. and appreciate having no badge this time around! like everyone else is saying, ec pcb would make this very compelling

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:19:32 »

We have modified some content of IC paste, thank you for your support to NIZ

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:50:34 »
If you could have qmk and via compatibility aswell as a daughterboard on the ec pcb, that would be incredible.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:56:36 »
If you could have qmk and via compatibility aswell as a daughterboard on the ec pcb, that would be incredible.
emm,this is difficult.

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 09:58:27 »
Excited to move my Atom 68 into a yellow case!

The renders don't show yellow top and bottom, will this be possible?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:31:51 »
Treeleaf approved
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline verity

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 16:03:48 »
I'm hopeful that Niz have learned some lessons on how to properly manufacture and ship custom keyboards from their first GB, since I really love Niz capacitive switches. My original Atom68 Alu was shipped with no stabilizers(Still don't have them all btw), and to this day I can't screw the keyboard flush, even after taking apart the pcb and keyboard more than 10 times and troubleshooting for hours. I really want to love your products so hopefully this round will be better QC'ed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 16:07:23 by verity »

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 16:11:21 »
I would love to see an Atom 68 with split backspace support.

Offline Sweep_the_Leg

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 16:56:48 »

Fantastic to see! Also, any word on the logo/font on the bottom? I'm not a fan, but I wonder what others here might think. Just feels like there could be something a fair bit cooler there (an image of an atom, or something maybe?)

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:45:33 »
I'm hopeful that Niz have learned some lessons on how to properly manufacture and ship custom keyboards from their first GB, since I really love Niz capacitive switches. My original Atom68 Alu was shipped with no stabilizers(Still don't have them all btw), and to this day I can't screw the keyboard flush, even after taking apart the pcb and keyboard more than 10 times and troubleshooting for hours. I really want to love your products so hopefully this round will be better QC'ed.

whoa thats scary. so the keyboard is basically still non functional to this day?

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:56:38 »
Speaking of, I think some modified switches should be made for the stabilized modifiers and spacebar, so that cherry plate mount stabs can be used.

Offline verity

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:12:16 »

whoa thats scary. so the keyboard is basically still non functional to this day?

The pcb functions properly so whenever I use the board its basically sitting unscrewed on my desk.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:33:48 »
We are sorry for the trouble caused to you. Did you not give feedback to our group-buying email? We should have dealt with all the feedback. The new Atom 68 will be produced in the factory where the famous team made the case. Besides, our  team will learn from the experience of last time and control the quality of this product. We look forward to your satisfaction

Offline verity

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:56:23 »
We are sorry for the trouble caused to you. Did you not give feedback to our group-buying email? We should have dealt with all the feedback. The new Atom 68 will be produced in the factory where the famous team made the case. Besides, our  team will learn from the experience of last time and control the quality of this product. We look forward to your satisfaction

I had a lot of feedback through email with your staff after I received the board. I was never able to resolve the issues even with their correspondence. Another user in the GB thread also specified that they had the same issue with an E-White board that I did, so I just assumed it was a flaw with the e-coating. I also tried specifying to the email support that I was missing all the stabilizer inserts and they ended up only sending one replacement stabilizer.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 20:00:15 »
Excited to move my Atom 68 into a yellow case!

The renders don't show yellow top and bottom, will this be possible?
yes,yellow  top and bottom be possible :D

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:46:06 »
Need an EC add-on pcb, please consider. Many people like me don't have one to harvest, would like an additional option, even if it's pre built.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline isot0nic

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:58:41 »
Will there be other colors available?

Offline minnus

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:08:33 »
Split backspace please! HHKB has broken me, lol

Offline sntXrrr

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:53:00 »
Yellow with gold-plated FR4? I want one, but only if it includes the EC pcb.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:15:14 »
Need an EC add-on pcb, please consider. Many people like me don't have one to harvest, would like an additional option, even if it's pre built.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
yes,will be a additional option for EC pcb

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:18:49 »
Will there be other colors available?
Depending on the result of IC, we can also do blue, dark green and so on

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 19:22:58 »

Show Image

do you like this?

Fantastic to see! Also, any word on the logo/font on the bottom? I'm not a fan, but I wonder what others here might think. Just feels like there could be something a fair bit cooler there (an image of an atom, or something maybe?)

Offline sntXrrr

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 22:50:37 »
The layout is probably fixed by now but I am not a fan of the 3 x 1u keys between spacebar and arrows. I would much prefer a bottom row with 2 x 1.5u so: 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1. That would be more 'modern' and aesthetically pleasing I think.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 02:59:44 »
The layout is probably fixed by now but I am not a fan of the 3 x 1u keys between spacebar and arrows. I would much prefer a bottom row with 2 x 1.5u so: 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1. That would be more 'modern' and aesthetically pleasing I think.
Because we have no intention to change the existing EC PCB scheme, it should be difficult to implement what you said

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 04:12:04 »
could you guys possibly add an option for "apple silver" similar to the OTD keyboard anodizing. Also similar to the color of anodizing on the Dalco 959 mini that's in IC right now. I think most would agree that neutral silver is the most neutral anodization color no contest.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 05:28:19 »
could you guys possibly add an option for "apple silver" similar to the OTD keyboard anodizing. Also similar to the color of anodizing on the Dalco 959 mini that's in IC right now. I think most would agree that neutral silver is the most neutral anodization color no contest.
yes,i agree,when we made atom Ⅰ, we made Apple Silver, but only a few people chose it, so we didn't make it the first choice this time. Anyway, if IC suggested that more silver, we would keep the silver options.

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 21:40:29 »
Also should we assume a return of the macbook style hard rubber feet? I think those are really nice.

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 23:33:04 »
Also should we assume a return of the macbook style hard rubber feet? I think those are really nice.
As for the  pad, we may have to wait until we get the CNC Proto from the factory, match different parts (including the foot pad and Eva plate), and finally decide what kind of hardness of elastic parts

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 10:19:36 »
I like the edges and two-toned case, but I find looking down at the top overwhelming to the senses for some reason without something breaking up the monotony of the repeating pattern. 

Offline Sweep_the_Leg

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 14:00:47 »

Show Image

do you like this?

I do like that better. I wouldn't say it's fantastic or anything, but it's better. Would love to see some other possibilities if it's not too much of a headache.

Offline online

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 16:48:08 »
will there be an option for full PC case? (Top and bottom made of PC)

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 21:25:52 »
will there be an option for full PC case? (Top and bottom made of PC)
yes,will be

Offline Envert

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:54:08 »
Will you add support to allow the use BKE Redux Domes (Easy install for EC version).

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 23:27:03 »
If this is intended mainly to be used with EC, and MX is offered as an option, why not include the ability to purchase the assembled EC version, or a configurable kit for EC as an option with the components needed?

Idk, the way it's currently set up seems somewhat counter-intuitive

Offline segami

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 07:34:13 »
Split backspace please!!

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:43:17 »
If this is intended mainly to be used with EC, and MX is offered as an option, why not include the ability to purchase the assembled EC version, or a configurable kit for EC as an option with the components needed?

Idk, the way it's currently set up seems somewhat counter-intuitive
The option will be changed in GB. Thank you for your suggestion

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:45:23 »
Split backspace please!!
sorry,It is a little difficult to implement at present, because the PCB scheme is well established

Offline poor yorick

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:52:38 »
any chance for a polycarb or abs plate?

Offline clonetropboi

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:04:14 »
Please no swill plate

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 20:37:01 »
any chance for a polycarb or abs plate?
will be Polycarb plate

Offline pregonation

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 16:38:08 »
Debating whether to wait for the entire kit or to go ahead and order the keyboard, assuming that the a la carte pricing is reasonable to purchase the aluminum case later on. Is there a large discrepancy predicted?

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 01:56:20 »
Debating whether to wait for the entire kit or to go ahead and order the keyboard, assuming that the a la carte pricing is reasonable to purchase the aluminum case later on. Is there a large discrepancy predicted?
About 20-30usd

Offline nobody2100

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 12:18:31 »
awesome! so looking forward to this!