Author Topic: rubberized keycaps  (Read 8623 times)

Offline trentva

rubberized keycaps
« on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 16:03:32 »
hello everyone, I was wondering where i could find rubberized keycaps for a filco mj2  the kind on some of the razer products like the razer lycosa http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-lycosa

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
Re: rubberized keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 16:35:08 »
Why would you want this?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 16:52:14 »
Maybe you could try plastidip some keycap?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:13:54 »
Buy a used BlackWidow or something similar and take the caps!
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 18:35:58 »
Have you tried the CM Storm Qfr it is a good board with a rubberized layer. Not a fully rubber. But it is still pretty nice. I'm not sure if there are any cherry mx boards or caps that are that soft rubber like the lycosta.
SmallFry! <3

Offline ih8

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 23:17:00 »
Have you tried the CM Storm Qfr it is a good board with a rubberized layer. Not a fully rubber. But it is still pretty nice. I'm not sure if there are any cherry mx boards or caps that are that soft rubber like the lycosta.

I second this

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 08:49:12 »
The only rubber ones I can think of are the corsair keycaps, but I suspect it's too much actual rubber, and not the "rubberized" feel you're looking for. The QFR has a very nice rubberized case, and it's pretty durable, too.

Offline sovano

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 09:19:47 »
I love the keycaps on the QFR. Plus it's cheaper than the Razer BWU most of the time anyways, because every once in a while there is a sale on the QFR. In this case it doesn't even matter what switch type it is if you're only going to harvest the keycaps.

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 10:49:13 »
So apparently they make some for the WASD keys if you want to give them a go. AZiO ACC222 Levetron Rubberized Gaming Replacement Keys (for Cherry Switches)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991094&name=Mouse-Pads-Accessories .

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:17:02 »
So apparently they make some for the WASD keys if you want to give them a go. AZiO ACC222 Levetron Rubberized Gaming Replacement Keys (for Cherry Switches)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991094&name=Mouse-Pads-Accessories .

They look really low tho.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:28:09 »
Yes those are very short, and also totally flat. Unless you put them on a 3800 they would certainly feel like a$$.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:49:47 »
buy a corsair k60 just to get these. well worth it. my favorite caps =)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 15:14:07 »
K60 and k90 have rubberized caps too right
SmallFry! <3

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 08:52:36 »
hello everyone, I was wondering where i could find rubberized keycaps for a filco mj2  the kind on some of the razer products like the razer lycosa http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-lycosa
I think the keycaps in the original question are coated with soft-touch paint.  Gives a nice finish and feel but is notorious for poor wear-ability.  I have molded some rubber keycaps just to see what happens but the results are not great.  Aside from some difficulties in molding there is also a catch 22.  If the rubber material is soft enough to feel soft then it does not transmit for well (deforms when you push it) and if it is stiff enough to function normally it doesn't really feel much softer than a conventional keycap.