Author Topic: Keycap finishing  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Keycap finishing
« on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 00:38:43 »
Just a thought here.  I would bet that a lot of you guys have painted keycaps but has anyone looked into getting them powder coated?  It is an EXTREMELY durable finish.  I can hear in now though "You can't powder coat plastic".  Well I am here to tell you that yes it very much so can be done.  I do believe there is two different ways that this is accomplished.  The two methods to my knowledge is low temp powder and the other is a powder that cures under UV light.  From what i have dug ip on the internet, the low temp powder still won't work foe the majority of plastic key caps because even the low temp powder requires a bake temp in the neighborhood of 250 degrees.  So i believe that would be to high of a temp  for the ABS plastic keycaps.
The UV version though i believe would still work just fine.  Here is a link to a company that does the UV based powder coat.

Just a little food for thought.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: Keycap finishing
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 06:07:48 »
Just a thought here.  I would bet that a lot of you guys have painted keycaps but has anyone looked into getting them powder coated?  It is an EXTREMELY durable finish.  I can hear in now though "You can't powder coat plastic".  Well I am here to tell you that yes it very much so can be done.  I do believe there is two different ways that this is accomplished.  The two methods to my knowledge is low temp powder and the other is a powder that cures under UV light.  From what i have dug ip on the internet, the low temp powder still won't work foe the majority of plastic key caps because even the low temp powder requires a bake temp in the neighborhood of 250 degrees.  So i believe that would be to high of a temp  for the ABS plastic keycaps.
The UV version though i believe would still work just fine.  Here is a link to a company that does the UV based powder coat.

Just a little food for thought.

Melvang
So try it.  What are you asking us for?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 12:52:04 »
I apologize for the way my post sounds.  I was looking through the keycaps section and saw that a good number have painted keycaps via either spray paint or automotive paint.  However some of the posters mentioned worries about the durability of the finish with either rubbing off, chipping, or scratching but I didn't see anyone post anything about power coating the keys. 

I know that power coating plastics and other non metal parts is still a fairly new process and just wanted to inform you guys that it can be done, as I hadn't seen anyone mention it.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 13:30:06 »
I'd say give it a shot, and post pictures! I'm quite sure nobody here ever got upset about learning new methods for decorating a keyboard.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 14:19:38 »
I would love to however the only keyboard that I would consider doing it to is my Das Keyboard and it is the only one that I actually have that still works.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 01:46:46 »
It seems like it might be a good thing to try, though. Have you thought about this with PBT at all? If so, I have a bunch of spare blank white PBT caps sitting on the table next to me. I might be able to donate some, if you would like.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 19:49:54 »
Looking for a place at least somewhat local to me that does it.  Called one place and the lady on the phone said "Sir, you can't powder coat plastic."  My response was "Ma'am if you are unaware that plastic can in fact be powder coated then I would assume that your facility does not have this capability.  Thank you for your time and good-bye.

Melvang

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:53:21 »
Uh.
Maybe try some research?

Let's see.. electrostatic spray method only requires a temperature of 180C to 250C for something like 30-40 minutes. And what's the melting point of 1mm ABS filament again? Oh right. Around 200C for less than 60 seconds.

So no. You can't powder coat keycaps after the fact. Well you could. But I'm not sure how you're going to use the results.

As part of the manufacturing process? Maybe. But also, probably not, because powder coating is a high temperature process. And as we all know, plastic is fun because it melts pretty damned easily. You'd pretty much have to apply the powder coat to the plastic while it's still in the mold.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:55:22 by rootwyrm »
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline thegnu

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:42:53 »
Uh.
Maybe try some research?

and from http://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/1500147-how-powder-coat-plastic.html:

>you have to use a special low temp powder!

and

>It has been done many times, theirs a guy on here and a few other forums that does it. Ive seen hisbwork and hes does a great job

and

>I've seen online search results for places that do it. It can be done but I have no clue as to the process.

so you could probably do some research too, and it might help bridge the gap. :P

EDIT: that's not what that tongue smiley was supposed to look like.

EDIT2: though i meant to add that probably the type of usable plastics is limited.  here's another link:

http://www.wrightcoating.com/specialty-coatings/plastics/powder-coating

EDIT3: and another place that does it http://www.innovocsolutions.com
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:45:02 by thegnu »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 06:12:21 »
UV cured coating is already being used on some caps. They're most commonly seen on the backlit caps, and they still chip and wear like every other coating eventually.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 00:53:40 »
Any links on results for powder coating keycaps there laffindude?  Not doubting you just wanted to see some of the results.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 03:43:47 »
Look at Shine2. UV coating doesn't necessarily have to be applied as a powder. You can probably get a more even coat if it is in liquid form.