Author Topic: fitting metal keycaps  (Read 2324 times)

Offline tbc

fitting metal keycaps
« on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:57:27 »
traditionally, do metal keycaps tend to have poorer fits?

list of issues with my recent metal keycap order:

-the stem cavity is bent inward; it 'pinches' WAYYYYY too much for any hope of the switch fitting inside - tried it with a spare switch I had and on the keyboard (4 legs)

- the stem fits way to loosely and I can push the keycap sideways till it starts hitting the keys next to it (w/ 4 legs)

- it never fits properly in the first place; the esc key just  falls off the stem if I push it (standard - circle with '+' inside)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:21:10 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: fitting metal keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:00:17 »
Are these the stems with four legs on them?

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:21:33 »
updated OP with legs details :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:23:36 »
I've had a mixed experience with metal keycaps. Some of my metal StarCraft 2 caps have weird fits and the brass cap Photekq sent me has a weird fit. They eventually stay on but it's always a bit of a struggle.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:25:12 »
I've had a mixed experience with metal keycaps. Some of my metal StarCraft 2 caps have weird fits and the brass cap Photekq sent me has a weird fit. They eventually stay on but it's always a bit of a struggle.
Yeah, that was the V1. It had a bad fit. Also, it was super heavy so it always felt like it would topple over.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:26:30 »
Shouldve been most specific in my post. We've talked about it and you said you would fix it in V2 so that's cool :D. Just pointing it out that it had a weird fit is all ^__^.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:28:13 »
Shouldve been most specific in my post. We've talked about it and you said you would fix it in V2 so that's cool :D. Just pointing it out that it had a weird fit is all ^__^.
No worries ;D
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:32:28 »
First two: have legs, adjust them as necessary. They're bendable metal legs; it's not like they should be condemned for possibly moving out of exact tolerance during packaging, shipping, etc.

Third: Put a piece of tissue or plastic ziploc bag or something over the stem, then put the cap on it. Holds.

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:24:19 »
not condemning them lol.

just wondering if it's normal and I should EXPECT to have to adjust the legs on a full set of zinc keys.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:58:01 »
I should hope you don;t have to adjust a whole set. 6ish might be reasonable, but certainly not a whole set.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:28:08 »
so, people just use their fingers?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:54:19 »
I have multiple sets of the Zinc caps. V1 and V2. V1 were all too tight. Every one of them. For these I just pushed them very firmly onto my switches (risky, I know). Once I forced these tight caps onto the switches I had to be very careful to pry them off (another frightening process) but now that they have been on and off a few times they fit nicely on my switches (maybe it's the plastic switch that actually changed who knows I only use the zinc caps on this board ever). Now, my V2 zinc caps were all extremely loose when I put them on. They would move around quite a bit and some would even fall right off if I turned my board upside down or quickly pressed and released the switch. To fix this, I cut small squares of green painters tape and placed them on the caps stems with the sticky side facing in. I had to double the tape as well so one square on top of another on the stem. I then pressed them onto the switch and the tape works itself into the stem effectively holding the caps in place. I know it's a pain in the ass and is really upsetting to know your nice metal caps don't fit properly but it's just the nature of the beast.

TIP: Make sure you don't cut the tape too big or you're switches will stick when pressed.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline divito

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 20:11:39 »
The zinc alphas that I got from feng were a strange fit at first, but they basically just needed to be settled. I haven't noticed much weird or bad about the fit of them.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)