Author Topic: HHKB2 PRO ABS Spacebar?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
HHKB2 PRO ABS Spacebar?
« on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:27:50 »
I started out with a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL, which I will be taking to my work (after modding it with PBT keycaps and o-rings as to not annoy my co-workers). As I am either writing articles, developing software, or doing sysadmin / terminal work, I am on my keyboard for more than 10 hours a day. So, I figured it was time to upgrade and I ordered a HHKB2 Pro Black-on-Black PBT. But I read here on the forums that the spacebar is ABS. Is that right? If so, what is the best way to prevent wear on the spacebar? I read some people put 3M's Crystal Clear tape on it. Is it worth it? Are there any PBT spacebars for the HHKB2 Pro? Any advice?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: HHKB2 PRO ABS Spacebar?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:29:43 »
You could buy a couple HHKB replacement space bars

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=tspacebar_blk

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:32:40 »

Thanks! Aren't there any PBT ones? I just ordered a PBT Ducky keycap set, but perhaps the spacebar is ABS as well.. Looks PBT from the pics.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:12:04 »

Thanks! Aren't there any PBT ones? I just ordered a PBT Ducky keycap set, but perhaps the spacebar is ABS as well.. Looks PBT from the pics.
As far as I know, PBT topre space bars do not exist.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:13:42 »
Most if not all Ducky PBT sets have PBT spacebars but some that I have been warped a little bit.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:23:35 »
Hmm, ok. Hope that my Ducky PBT set is not warped, that would suck. Too bad there are no Topre PBT spacebars. Well, perhaps the crystal clear tape trick? I hate the feel when they get glossy (like on my Filco).

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:30:45 »
I think the tape would feel as bad as a shiny one, they are only $4.50ea at EK. I got myself some spare's, they also fit Realforce & Leopold F660C.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:47:27 »
I think the tape would feel as bad as a shiny one, they are only $4.50ea at EK. I got myself some spare's, they also fit Realforce & Leopold F660C.

Great, thanks! Then I'll go for some spare ABS spacebars.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:06:17 »
Hmm, ok. Hope that my Ducky PBT set is not warped, that would suck. Too bad there are no Topre PBT spacebars. Well, perhaps the crystal clear tape trick? I hate the feel when they get glossy (like on my Filco).

If it is warped you should be able to straighten it out by laying it on a very flat surface, like a glass table or equally flat surface and taking a hair dryer to it. So they say.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 05:45:44 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

I'd suggest you buy them sooner rather than later.  These could be the last of the spare keycaps for a long time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:31:57 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

I'd suggest you buy them sooner rather than later.  These could be the last of the spare keycaps for a long time.

Thanks! Hope my HHKB2 will arrive soon, can't wait to see how Topre's feel.

Offline beartung

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 09:43:49 »
I have got a orange space bar  ;D
Looking for Topre Orangesicle CC & Topre Limoncello CC