Author Topic: Am I crazy or is this Click Clack looking WEIRD? EDIT: I AM CRAZY, FALSE ALARM  (Read 3438 times)

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
EDIT: I AM PARANOID  :'(
THE CLACK IS REAL, I AM NOT IMPLYING IT IS FAKE, I WAS JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE IT IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN MY OTHER CLACKS
THANKS FOR LOOKING!

I recently received a "depth black" clack that is different from all my other 4 clacks
If any CC expert would like to see this keycap in person, I can lend it to you for free, just send me a PM.

The difference is some minor details:
1. it's lacking what I call "two dot birthmark" on the front side of the keycap
2. it sits higher when on a keyboard(both my 2 hhkbs and 1 RF), but is the same height when on a table.
3. it's got a weird ">" mark on the bottom of the keycap right below the CF stamp
4. front bottom edge is peeling off a little and showing white/grey on underneath the black "skin"

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:13:03 by argcargv »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Re: HELP!!! Am I crazy or is this Click Clack looking WEIRD?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 21:41:53 »
At least we know where all the Depth Black Clacks have gone.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 21:47:04 »
At least we know where all the Depth Black Clacks have gone.

:p sorry I may have a hording problem, i love color black too much.
such goth.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:02:45 »
If you don't get a response, you could try PMing ClickClack directly.

There have been some problems with fake Clacks, so I imagine he would be receptive to information that might identify another fake.

Although from the information above I think it is just wear and tear on a standard CC, perhaps from a different batch or something.

FWIW my Topre 3D Skull doesn't feel like it is sitting properly, but the other two (Drunken Skull and Silver) do.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:06:33 »

There have been some problems with fake Clacks, so I imagine he would be receptive to information that might identify another fake.

Although from the information above I think it is just wear and tear on a standard CC, perhaps from a different batch or something.

FWIW my Topre 3D Skull doesn't feel like it is sitting properly, but the other two (Drunken Skull and Silver) do.

Thanks!
I don't feel like mine is a fake, because the CF stamp is really detailed, the topre stem also looks very similar to the rest of my clacks.
It's just that because of the slight height difference, it is very noticeable on the keyboard.
The fact that it is also blacks makes it even more noticeable when compared to the rest of the black clacks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:17:42 »

Thanks!
I don't feel like mine is a fake, because the CF stamp is really detailed, the topre stem also looks very similar to the rest of my clacks.
It's just that because of the slight height difference, it is very noticeable on the keyboard.
The fact that it is also blacks makes it even more noticeable when compared to the rest of the black clacks.

There have been slight variations in batch colours over the years, but I am not authoritative enough to say which batches or colours, or when.

If this, or either of the other two, are secondhand Clacks, they may just have lived an interesting life.

There was an OG Tri-Colour, or perhaps a Salute, that someone posted a while back that had been stored in sunlight for a long time, and had turned quite yellow.  Actually it looked very much like bone, which is appropriate considering what it is a depiction of.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:55:12 »
I bet it's nothing more than some wear and tear. I don't think that the pitchforks need to be raised at all. PM CC, or he might even see this topic.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:55:47 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:28:38 by esoomenona »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:57:44 »
I think you may just be a little paranoid, though I think you truly invited this by offering way too much for black CCs. $300 is insane for a cap that shouldn't have gone for more than half that at most any other day.

This is why we can't have nice things.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:58:53 »
The white isn't peeling anything. That's the color of the black plastic when roughed a bit. That's the same color that was exposed when I cut the stem of my Jack and accidentally sliced a little into the bottom edge. I think you may just be a little paranoid, though I think you truly invited this by offering way too much for black CCs. $300 is insane for a cap that shouldn't have gone for more than half that at most any other day.

got all the depth blacks for 100 to 120 each.

300 was for something else special and in the end did not have to pay that much because of a partial trade
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:02:21 by argcargv »

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:59:56 »
I think you may just be a little paranoid, though I think you truly invited this by offering way too much for black CCs. $300 is insane for a cap that shouldn't have gone for more than half that at most any other day.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Not intentionally trying to jack up the prices, just want to start collecting. If the price goes up, it's a side effect.
I'm not reselling anyways so once I get it off the market, it is off the market permanently.
Yes the price of depth black will rise a little because there is less on the market, but I will not be intentionally raising the price even more because I am NOT selling my clacks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:14:45 by argcargv »

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:15:46 »
I bet it's nothing more than some wear and tear. I don't think that the pitchforks need to be raised at all. PM CC, or he might even see this topic.

Thanks! my thoughts exactly because the CF stamp is really delicate.