Author Topic: Who thinks that keyboards should have convex thumb keys?  (Read 4185 times)

Offline e_l_tang

Who thinks that keyboards should have convex thumb keys?
« on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 23:22:17 »
Looking at this thread (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75814.0) by Oobly, most people press their Alt keys (Command keys for Mac users like me) with their thumbs. However, I've noticed almost every Alt keycap I have seen has a profile that is both concave and sharply angled, causing the thumb pressing it to contact it on one of its edges rather than on its top surface.

So, who thinks that the Alt keys (and by extension the number pad 0 keys) on keyboards should have a more ergonomic zero degree convex profile?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 23:25:11 by Eric-T »

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Re: Who thinks that keyboards should have convex thumb keys?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:49:08 »
Flipped space bar. Heck, flip the whole bottom row.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 03:24:52 »

Some people have ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 10:13:47 »

No, that profile is fine for the other keys on the bottom row because they are pressed by other fingers. It is only problematic for the keys I mentioned because they are pressed by the thumbs. However, I did try flipping my keys, but then a) those keycaps look like they are hanging off the edge of my keyboard, b) my thumbnails start hitting them instead, and c) they still weren't convex.

I should probably mention that I float my wrists as I type.

Anyway, I was asking about convex thumb keys, not about other (lesser?) solutions to this problem ;)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 10:42:06 »
The issue isn't so much to do with the curvature of the top, but rather the angle. The reason why thumb keys hurt to press is because you are usually pressing on the edge of the front.
While a convex design would help, it does not do all that much.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:10:01 »
Just use lighter switches, I don't get this thumby hurty thing, I type 8-9 hours a day and I never had this problem. If your fingers hurt you have the wrong switch weight and not wrong profile. People use MX Clears for example because those are "in" but for example I find them crap, way too heavy and weird feeling.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:15:02 »
Just use lighter switches, I don't get this thumby hurty thing, I type 8-9 hours a day and I never had this problem. If your fingers hurt you have the wrong switch weight and not wrong profile. People use MX Clears for example because those are "in" but for example I find them crap, way too heavy and weird feeling.

The issue isn't so much to do with the curvature of the top, but rather the angle. The reason why thumb keys hurt to press is because you are usually pressing on the edge of the front.

I don't have any pain while I type, I just think that the thumb keys on my mechanical are not as comfortable to press as the spacebar on my old rubber dome, which has a zero degree convex profile. I was wondering if anyone would personally prefer that mechanical thumb keycaps had a similar profile.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:20:35 by Eric-T »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:25:09 »
Convex bottom row is very nice, I have some from a Dell Alps board. But again Cherry profile caps are nice to press in the bottom row, but only if you use the right switch weigh, that influences the whole feeling. I use light 55g MX Black and 68g on the spacebar. But I have a friend, he has big hands he types on blacks like they were 30g :)) If pressing a key doesn't feel right for me the problem is the switch weight.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:07:41 »

If that's true, then why would spacebars be designed with convex profiles?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:03:58 by Eric-T »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:32:40 »
Convex Cherry profile Alt keys? Yes please!
I use only my thumbs on the bottom row, unless I use someone else's machine and need to press a Control key that is in the wrong position. (IT SHOULD BE TO THE LEFT OF THE LETTER 'A'!!!)
🍉

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:37:38 »
I like them. I've used some rubber dome boards with convex bottom row and although I think the CTRL keys should remain concave and angled since I use my pinkie for those, the keys next to the spacebar do feel better as symmetrical convex shapes that match the spacebar.

I'm undecided about the WIN key, though, it could be either for me.

Many people like the Row 3 bottom row on some sculptured SA sets due to the lack of angle, convex tops takes it one step further.

One possible downside (but it only affects those who like to use novelty caps) is that it limits you to either using only caps with the ALT logo in those spots or makes the GB more expensive by including the novelty caps also in the convex profile, but I would prefer that the option existed than that it didn't.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:54:44 »
Convex Cherry profile Alt keys? Yes please!
I use only my thumbs on the bottom row, unless I use someone else's machine and need to press a Control key that is in the wrong position. (IT SHOULD BE TO THE LEFT OF THE LETTER 'A'!!!)

How do you like the layout of modifiers on Mac keyboards?