Author Topic: Best replacement keycaps for KuL es-87?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline macguy80

Best replacement keycaps for KuL es-87?
« on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:26:52 »
Hi,

I've never replaced the keycaps on any keyboard yet, but I wonder, what would be the most different experience in terms of sound? I know the stock keycaps are thin ABS, so of course, my mind goes immediately to thick PBT, but I've seen some videos of SA (and DSA) keycaps that sound wonderful, although I'm not sure what they're made of. Which has me wondering, should I also change the profile?  I do like the vintage look. How much does profile affect sound, apart from material and thickness?

Thanks!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Best replacement keycaps for KuL es-87?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:08:48 »
Not sure, but i was able to play with a set of SA keys on MX-Clear switches and I will say it was definitely more mellow sounding than my board but i cant really make a comparison with 2 different switch types and two different plates/cases. I can say the SA keys are very tall in comparison... something I really liked and will definitely jump on board with if i can get in on a set.
-Dana

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:22:46 »
In my opinion,DSA and SA set are only good at looking.After few SA and DSA sets,i came back to cherry profile.Try Gateron PBT or Leopold stock PBT caps,you will see the difference :D
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 22:55:48 »
"Best" is, of course, subjective.

If the stock KUL keycaps are thin ABS, then almost anything else will be better (although legend consistency may vary).

SA will be ABS, but there's a LOT of plastic in those, and they are recommended only for stiffer switches.  I prefer uniform row 3 profile SA keycaps over sculpted.

Or some thick GMK or JTK keycaps, Cherry profile, would provide a different feel and sound.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 21:54:28 »
If the stock KUL keycaps are thin ABS, then almost anything else will be better (although legend consistency may vary).
:thumb:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 21:56:53 »
Due to it having a standard ANSI layout, pretty much any set you see, will fit. Outside of that there is no real "best" caps. Some love ABS, some love PBT. Some love high profiles, others love low profiles. Finding the perfect set is quite a journey though
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline macguy80

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:28:39 »
Thanks to all who have replied. Finding the perfect set is indeed quite a journey, but they say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. :)

Most of the sets I have found are via massdrop or other group buys.

In the world of keycaps, is there such a thing as "off-the-shelf"?

At this early stage, I'm not looking for "perfect" so much as "better"

Any recommendations on a good starter set? Since I like the PBT on my RF, I think I'll start there. :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:31:02 »
Thanks to all who have replied. Finding the perfect set is indeed quite a journey, but they say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. :)

Any recommendations on a good starter set? Since I like the PBT on my RF, I think I'll start there. :)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=862

Those are thick pbt. There is also a dye sub variant of that set for a little cheaper, but they dont look quite as crisp.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:33:32 »

Not sure what color your realforce is, but if it is black, these caps will look similar.
http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-dark-grey-dyesub-thick-pbt-full-keyset/

Offline macguy80

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:38:54 »
Excellent! Between those two sites, I think I've found just what I need! Thanks! :)

Offline macguy80

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:43:39 »
How about Vortex PBT Double Shot caps? Those seem to be fairly well regarded, am I right? :)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:06:20 »
See classified someone sold jtk. My opinion is that keycaps the best one if you like abs and its a high quality keycaps just like pmk