Author Topic: Gateron Yellow's [need opinions]  (Read 7420 times)

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
Gateron Yellow's [need opinions]
« on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 06:23:41 »
I'm new to the site I've been lurking for quite a bit but made an account a few  days ago. I currently own a Pok3r Mx blue, a Realforce 55g that will be coming in the mail later this week. I really like them alot but they're a bit too light for my tastes and fingers. It's really difficult for me to not bottom out completely when typing at a decent pace on them. I don't get hand fatigue from what I can tell. I know that greens would be the immediate option and recommendation since I like the clacks of blues so much. But, I'm trying to use a different switch and experience something new. I went on MechanicalKeyboards.com and saw that they will be releasing some new v60's soon with Gateron switches. The heaviness of the yellows caught my eyes.

TlDr. What do you think of yellows. I hear that they compare to superBlacks. I've never used a linear mechanical switch before. Do any of you guys use superblacks or gateron yellows? How do your hands feel afterwards?

In the worst case scenario if I don't like them If I decide to get them they could just become a gag board for me whenever a friend asks me to borrow a keyboard :))
"All is Well"

Offline 1deeg

Re: Gateron Yellow's [need opinions]
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:47:32 »
http://imgur.com/a/g1f0A

Gateron Yellows are not like Super Blacks. They have (roughly) the same actuation force as MX & Gateron Black, but the bottom-out force is less.

I really like them alot but they're a bit too light for my tastes and fingers. It's really difficult for me to not bottom out completely when typing at a decent pace on them.

Why are you trying not to bottom out? Arthritis or something? Or do you just not like it? If you don't like bottoming out then you probably shouldn't have bought a Topre board (though it is much more pleasant on Topre).  ^-^

I like MX Reds. Blacks are too heavy for me, so I'm planning on trying some Gateron Yellows here soon.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 08:05:33 »
The early Gateron Yellow batches were different, see here https://imgur.com/a/39DS8

Physically they look quite different. I don't believe they are produced anymore, and were replaced fairly quickly by the newer ones reported by Ripster and others.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 08:25:43 »
The early Gateron Yellow batches were different, see here https://imgur.com/a/39DS8

Physically they look quite different. I don't believe they are produced anymore, and were replaced fairly quickly by the newer ones reported by Ripster and others.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me  :thumb:

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 08:34:48 »

Im guessing it's more like I want more resistance.
"All is Well"

Offline nickw

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:21:02 »
I have some gateron yellows which I haven't put on a keyboard yet, but they seem to be very close in resistance to some 67g Zealio clears I have.  I don't have them side by side, but I would guess they are pretty similar to a cherry black, or at least in the same league.

As far as linear vs tactile goes.  Linear all the way, IMO.  You're probably a lot less likely to bottom them.  On a tactile, you need to apply a fair bit more force initially to clear the bump, and when that happens, you have way more force on them than is needed to push the keys down, so you are pretty much guaranteed to bottom them if you type anything like I do.

With a moderately stiff linear you can fairly quickly get used to how hard to push the key without bottoming, and it is fairly natural after that.

I would say, If you haven't tried linears, go for those yellows or some ordinary blacks, and see what you think.  You'll probably like them just fine.  I think super-heavy isn't really going to be a benefit.

Offline nickw

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 03:02:41 »
I just measured them.  65 grams to bottom the gateron yellows (new ones)  50g to actuate.  Blacks are rated at about 61g to actuate, and reds at 46g.

I'm not sure how accurate cherry's specs are to reality, because subjectively I would have placed these a lot closer in feel to a black than a red.  Maybe it's just been too long since I've typed on reds.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 09:13:50 »
Gateron yellow is a SWITCH not a KEYCAP.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 11:43:14 »
yep, pretty sure we're all in agreement on that?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 11:44:07 »

The point he's making is that this doesn't belong in "keyboard keycaps"
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 11:44:54 »

oh wow I didn't even realize what board I was in lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 13:04:29 »

This