Author Topic: PBTs for CM Quickfire Rapid?  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Tapdeezy

PBTs for CM Quickfire Rapid?
« on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:24:57 »
Hey guys, I'm new to the geekhack community but a definite lurker.  ;D

I recently purchased a CM Quickfire Rapid (TKL) and I'm looking for a set of PBT key caps that will fit the keyboard. I know that the bottom row is a bit unusual and won't work with all sets.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: PBTs for CM Quickfire Rapid?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:25:47 »
The Quickfire Rapid actually has a standard bottom row. Buy as you like!  :thumb:

Offline Tapdeezy

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 12:58:37 »
Haha, that's good to know - thank you!!

Any recommendations on places  to buy high quality, top-printed PBT key caps? Extra points if they carry a Mac OS symbol PBT key cap!  :D

Offline svetlio_vd

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:47:41 »
The recommendation should depend on the money you are willing to spend. You can buy reasonable keysets if you are not thrilled with designer sets, which are expensive. I am currently very happy with Vortex Thick PBT 104 key set, which I bought recently from ebay - $45 + $13 shipping to EU, and great quality. Installed on a CM Quickfire XT - which is Rapid with 104 keys.

If a had better shipping options to EU, I would look at other options too, you like black, gray, or more colorful options. I would just suggest to look out for thick PBT only (1.5mm thickness).

Offline The Hobbiest

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:10:10 »
After months of lurking and soaking up knowledge I went with a Ducky dye sub thick pbt set in grey with blue modifiers.  It was $59 shipped for a 104 set.  The legends are sharp and done in nice lettering and the colors are pretty nice as well.  The feel of the caps themselves are great.  I would describe them as a bit grittier than fresh ABS but not grippy or sticky by any means.  I imagine these being on the smoother end of the pbt spectrum when it comes to other pbt caps. 

Offline seville57

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:39:45 »
After months of lurking and soaking up knowledge I went with a Ducky dye sub thick pbt set in grey with blue modifiers.  It was $59 shipped for a 104 set.  The legends are sharp and done in nice lettering and the colors are pretty nice as well.  The feel of the caps themselves are great.  I would describe them as a bit grittier than fresh ABS but not grippy or sticky by any means.  I imagine these being on the smoother end of the pbt spectrum when it comes to other pbt caps.

Where can I buy a 104 keys Ducky PBT Grey/Blue keycaps sets?

My Ducky Shine 2/3/4 and Ducky One RGB YOTG are 109 (ISO/Nordic) and 108 (ANSI) keys k-boards.

My  ISO/Nordic laser engraved is 109 keys set and my blank  ANSI set is 108 keys.

The 109 ISO/Nordic laser engraved Grey/Blue set on my ISO/Nordic Ducky Shine 3.

The 108 ANSI Grey/Blue blank set on my Ducky Shine 4 SCE with Cherry MX Brown/Clears.

The 108 Ducky Cream/Green set.

The 109 Ducky ISO/Nordic Yellow set.

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:10:54 by seville57 »

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:48:01 »
I, too just recently purchased the Grey/Blue Dye-Sub Ducky PBT set for my TKL (Ganss G.S-87), and they are superb.

I got mine from here:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1321

One thing to note:  They are fairly thick, so if you're using Co-Star stabilizers they may stick on the stabilizer mount. I'm fairly certain QFRs use Cherry now, so you should be solid.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:53:19 by Corsa1r »
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:57:56 »
Tai Hao are relatively cheap, and if you can find a set without the anti-bacterial coating, they are actually quite reasonable.

Or there's something like DSA Granite, if that profile is your cup of tea.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pinkachu

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 20:25:59 »
I am currently very happy with Vortex Thick PBT 104 key set

Show Image

Are these sculpted or flat? Can't tell from the pic, they look almost flat!

Offline Pinkachu

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 20:27:19 »
One thing to note:  They are fairly thick, so if you're using Co-Star stabilizers they may stick on the stabilizer mount. I'm fairly certain QFRs use Cherry now, so you should be solid.

QFR still use costar wire stabilizers. QFRi might use Cherry, not sure, haven't tried one.

Offline svetlio_vd

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 02:12:47 »
The Vortex Thick PBT 104 orange on white set is not completely flat, the keys have a curve - I would describe them as "standard profile" keys.

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:36:14 »

QFR still use costar wire stabilizers. QFRi might use Cherry, not sure, haven't tried one.

QFRi is cherry!
| ISO |