Author Topic: Is Ducky PBT always like this?  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Kinami

Is Ducky PBT always like this?
« on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 19:57:03 »
So I just bought my first Cherry MX keycap sets ever. I was in a hurry so I just ordered whatever looked respectable and would arrive quickly: one set of standard SP ABS doubleshot and one of Ducky PBT in the green and cream color scheme.
From the talk online, I was expecting the PBT to be clearly higher quality. But the key legends (especially on the cream-colored keys) were blurred right out of the box. The keys are also a bit more ragged around the edges than the SP set, and the spacebar is more warped. Is this normal for Ducky? or for dyesub? I was expecting better from something made in Taiwan. 

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Is Ducky PBT always like this?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 19:59:03 »
It would help if you provided pictures of what you're talking about.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 20:03:01 »
I personally think Ducky keycaps are thicker and better quality than most of the caps out there.

I own 2 ducky sets myself, green cheese and cream (printed) and ducky blue/gray blank pbt and they are my 2 favorite sets. 
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Kinami

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 02:05:38 »
Here's what I'm seeing. The QWERTY row is SP ABS, everything else is Ducky PBT.
The space bar doesn't feel mushy or wobbly when pressed--I've pushed down the right side pretty hard--so I think the fact that it's higher on the right is from the shape of the key.
The pink bleed around all the Ducky key legends is clear to the naked eye, not an artifact of my phone photography.

So, is this normal?

Just trying to figure what to expect from different brands and price points since I've only dealt with fully-assembled keyboards before. I was expecting the Ducky set to be around the level of Filco keys, but the workmanship here reminds me more of the keys on a Unicomp only heavier.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 05:20:56 »
Double shot legends are usually sharper than dye-sub legends. Warped PBT spacebars is not uncommon either.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 05:57:10 »
I'm hoping the different shades on the keys in the first picture is due to shadows over the keyboard.  I'd hate to think the QWERTY row was bright white and the rest were off-white.

The only Ducky sets I have came with various Ducky keyboards, and none exhibit these symptoms.

I also haven't heard of such complaints about Ducky sets before - usually they are good quality and highly recommended.

Maybe it was a bad batch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 06:04:41 »
Huh, I thought the Ducky etched sets would be the go to set if I ever went down that road. If you have the chance to switch the set out or RMA I think you should go for it.
Chris Schammert

Offline Kinami

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 07:10:08 »
Thanks all--I'm probably just paranoid.  Looking forward to putting these to the endurance test.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 02:05:54 »
Thanks all--I'm probably just paranoid.  Looking forward to putting these to the endurance test.

The edge of the space bar is probably the only one you'll notice on a daily basis.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:50:37 »

The edge of the space bar is probably the only one you'll notice on a daily basis.

Should be easy fix with some super fine sandpaper
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:44:08 »

Should be easy fix with some super fine sandpaper

Or deft manipulation of a craft knife.

Offline Kinami

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 20:43:25 »
Thanks again for the input.
Sounds like superfine sandpaper is the way to go for the edges--though I'd expect the manufacturer would do that before sending them out. Maybe you have to go all the way up to GMK for that?
I thought about etched legends too, but it seems like they'd trap dirt...
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2016, 06:58:32 by Kinami »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 05:57:45 »
Thanks again for the input.
Sounds like superfine sandpaper is the way to go for the edges--though I'd expect the manufacturer would do that before sending them out. Maybe you have to go all the way up to GHK for that?
I thought about etched legends too, but it seems like they'd trap dirt...
I have found that Emory boards for nails work well for taking care of the rough edges.