Author Topic: Trying to-do a custom WASD ISO keyset for the Pok3r  (Read 3902 times)

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
Trying to-do a custom WASD ISO keyset for the Pok3r
« on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 11:35:30 »
Hi good people of GK

I am trying to-do custom keycap set from WASD for my Pok3r ISO. i really hated the default keycaps from vortex. They worked but the where some mistakes in the layout from vortex, i later change to the max translucent set but i am missing the function keys.. i know the WASD keycaps are properly not the best but want to give them a try :)

Any recommendations from users who has experience with them? and would love some suggestions!

Did a setup on KLE, btw anyone know if its possible to change the font on KLE? just to see looks
150600-0

permalink:
https://goo.gl/3AsxeW

I wanna go with brighter caps, so it matches more the white back plate. An also so the caps lets a little light trough
How it looks now
150602-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:21:51 by pon10 »

Offline zslane

Re: Trying to-do a custom WASD ISO keyset for the Pok3r
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:19:43 »
I've had some custom sets made for me by WASD and they came out just fine. However, their keycaps are very thin and pad printed. Also, they have a very limited color palette to choose from (only 20 colors or so). If you can live with those limitations then go for it. You'll get your keycaps in about a week.

Offline pon10

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:26:31 »
I've had some custom sets made for me by WASD and they came out just fine. However, their keycaps are very thin and pad printed. Also, they have a very limited color palette to choose from (only 20 colors or so). If you can live with those limitations then go for it. You'll get your keycaps in about a week.

Thanks, yes they have limited color options. but when choosing in the light/grey colors it can work :) hehe thats actually nice fast! how long did they last until they started to get abs shiny? Did you do a custom text setup? 

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:30:57 »
Their keycaps are UV coated which adds a bit of durability to them, but they won't outlast PBT keycaps. I don't know how long they last because I only used them for a couple of months before I managed to score some used SA keysets.

The sets they made for me were composed entirely of custom text and icons that I put together myself using Adobe Illustrator.

Offline pon10

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:46:11 »
Their keycaps are UV coated which adds a bit of durability to them, but they won't outlast PBT keycaps. I don't know how long they last because I only used them for a couple of months before I managed to score some used SA keysets.

The sets they made for me were composed entirely of custom text and icons that I put together myself using Adobe Illustrator.

that's right there UV coated.. hehe i am also waiting for a SA set but is a 80% set so don't wanna put the rest of them back in the box to use them on the pok3r.

Thanks again mate for your time :)

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 13:27:01 »
I have a WASD set with fully custom legends that I've used for about a year and a half now. The wasd-cluster is pretty worn from excessive use during gaming and I don't remember exactly when it started happening. The coating is probably long gone and parts of the legends are missing too. All the other keys are in pretty good shape, although I don't do all that much typing on them compared to boards I use for work.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 17:24:00 »
I like the custom WASD keyboards and -caps as well. But I cannot say anything about longevity yet as my "oldest" WASD keycaps are just half a year old. And their coating / printing lasted already longer than on KUL's keycaps.
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline pon10

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 00:03:46 »
I have a WASD set with fully custom legends that I've used for about a year and a half now. The wasd-cluster is pretty worn from excessive use during gaming and I don't remember exactly when it started happening. The coating is probably long gone and parts of the legends are missing too. All the other keys are in pretty good shape, although I don't do all that much typing on them compared to boards I use for work.

Cool hehe i think i doesn't matter which keycap you put on wasd, that dont worn off after excessive use of gaming  :cool:

Offline pon10

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 00:06:42 »
I like the custom WASD keyboards and -caps as well. But I cannot say anything about longevity yet as my "oldest" WASD keycaps are just half a year old. And their coating / printing lasted already longer than on KUL's keycaps.

Thanks for sharing your thread!! looks good  :thumb:

Offline seville57

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 02:36:41 »
Hi good people of GK

I am trying to-do custom keycap set from WASD for my Pok3r ISO. i really hated the default keycaps from vortex. They worked but the where some mistakes in the layout from vortex, i later change to the max translucent set but i am missing the function keys.. i know the WASD keycaps are properly not the best but want to give them a try :)

Any recommendations from users who has experience with them? and would love some suggestions!

Did a setup on KLE, btw anyone know if its possible to change the font on KLE? just to see looks
(Attachment Link)

permalink:

I wanna go with brighter caps, so it matches more the white back plate. An also so the caps lets a little light trough
How it looks now
(Attachment Link)

You should  read here about WASD custom sets if you gonna use it on backlit k-boards: http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1374997-are-your-keycaps-compatible-with-backlit-keyboards- 
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2016, 02:46:39 by seville57 »

Offline pon10

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 02:46:16 »
Hi good people of GK

(Attachment Link)

permalink:

How it looks now
(Attachment Link)

You should  read here about WASD kustom sets if you gonna use it on backlit k-boards:http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1374997-are-your-keycaps-compatible-with-backlit-keyboards-

Thanks! yes have checked it out! :) backlit caps is not a top priority and the caps are so thin, so choosing the right colors for the right keys can just add another layer to the pok3r ;) 

Offline pon10

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 09:45:09 »
Hi good people of GK

(Attachment Link)

permalink:

How it looks now
(Attachment Link)