Author Topic: Realforce HHKB Keycap profile  (Read 12419 times)

Offline STAT33

Realforce HHKB Keycap profile
« on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 11:22:39 »
Hello
Has anyone compared which cherry keycap profile compares close to the topre keycap ( HHKB or Realforce)
I am sure you must have guessed, I am trying to find custom keycaps for my Realforce RGB.
I am just not happy with any keycaps so far. I think the original keycaps that come on Realforce and HHKB are the best out there
Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I am at a dead end trying to find one
Thanks

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Realforce HHKB Keycap profile
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 11:23:18 »
Hello
Has anyone compared which cherry keycap profile compares close to the topre keycap ( HHKB or Realforce)
I am sure you must have guessed, I am trying to find custom keycaps for my Realforce RGB.
I am just not happy with any keycaps so far. I think the original keycaps that come on Realforce and HHKB are the best out there
Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I am at a dead end trying to find one
Thanks

Topre is it's own profile, it's somewhat in between OEM and Cherry profile.

Bottom Row = OEM
2nd Row = Cherry
3rd Row = Topre

Offline STAT33

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 12:02:39 »
Thx a lot!!
Interesting that oem profile is tallest! Did not think so.

I think cherry profile is the closest:(

Do you know any Mx keycaps that are quite similar to topre - profile, thickness etc..
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 12:11:34 »
Thx a lot!!
Interesting that oem profile is tallest! Did not think so.

I think cherry profile is the closest:(

Do you know any Mx keycaps that are quite similar to topre - profile, thickness etc..
Thx

I believe the closest you'll get with an MX cap would be DCS or OEM profile, DCS being the closest of the two in my opinion. Similar thickness on the caps, and profile will be really close.

Downside is they're ABS vs Topre's caps being PBT.

Offline STAT33

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 12:33:22 »
Thx @dgneo
I guess I wasted trying my luck with SA and PBT keycaps
I will explore DCS

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 13:11:51 »
Look into Leopold PBT keycaps, might not be exact but it's probably one of the closer options.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline STAT33

Realforce HHKB Keycap profile
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:14:12 »
Tried the leopold white keycaps from eBay, they were not impressive as the reviews were made out to be! Or I got a different profile, they were low profile compared to topre.
Thx

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:30:45 »
I think cherry feels pretty close.  There's a lot of cherry profile caps available.  EnjoyPBT, Geekkeys thick pbt, Also JTK (check out originative) which are thick ABS. 
keyboards.

Offline STAT33

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 06:12:27 »
I tried the modern beige @ originative, was not impressed. The caps seem smaller or it's my perception. The typing surface on the keycap seems smaller than, say,  what topre has.
I loved the sa keycaps, wish they were not so tall! Despite trying for long, could not  use them, as my daily driver

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 12:10:03 »
I think cherry feels pretty close.  There's a lot of cherry profile caps available.  EnjoyPBT, Geekkeys thick pbt, Also JTK (check out originative) which are thick ABS.

I agree.  My favorite profile is Cherry, then Topre.  Sculpted DSA then SA...  DCS is very thin and has a similar profile to Cherry.

MaNiFeX

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:45:35 »
I am with MaNiFeX, I like Cherry profile, then Topre. If you are looking for thick PBT Cherry profile, I picked this set up about 6 months ago and have been very happy with it: https://originative.co/products/classic-black. And the price is not bad either imo.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:48:42 »
I still don't like the look of anything other than topre caps on a topre board
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 16:08:11 »
I still don't like the look of anything other than topre caps on a topre board
I agree.

I had the opportunity to pick up a NovaTouch for rather cheap recently but I just can't bring myself to do it. First, I agree with you on looks (and Topre PBT keycaps are great quality). And second, I keep reading about people having issues with MX sliders on Topre. That is just not a road I really want to go down.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.