Author Topic: Dual legend PBT Cherry keycaps for Maltron left and right hand keyboards  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Snarfangel

I just got left and right hand Maltron keyboards, and I was looking for suggestions for dual legend PBT keycaps. I'm not sure whether low-profile spherical or cylindrical would be the best. The right side is heavily yellowed, but I would probably want a unified set (which means 200+ keys) for both, even if the left and right keyboards are different colors.

I've already sent a not to Maltron asking for prices, but I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion. The pair of keyboards looks like:
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 21:50:32 by Snarfangel »

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Don't quote me on this, since I've been out of the scene for a little while, but I don't think you'll find new caps very easily. Signature plastics DSA profile might work, but I'm not sure if/how they do legending on PBT. I'm almost sure they don't do double-shot PBT. Even then, to order just 200 keys from them would cost you an arm and a leg.
You may or may not be able to use standard cylindrical caps, due to their height and profile. If you could provide us a height measurement of your keycaps, that would be helpful.
If Maltron's stock keys are ABS, I very much doubt they'll be able to produce PBT ones for just one order due to costs.

Offline Snarfangel

Don't quote me on this, since I've been out of the scene for a little while, but I don't think you'll find new caps very easily. Signature plastics DSA profile might work, but I'm not sure if/how they do legending on PBT. I'm almost sure they don't do double-shot PBT. Even then, to order just 200 keys from them would cost you an arm and a leg.
You may or may not be able to use standard cylindrical caps, due to their height and profile. If you could provide us a height measurement of your keycaps, that would be helpful.
If Maltron's stock keys are ABS, I very much doubt they'll be able to produce PBT ones for just one order due to costs.

I actually got a note back from Maltron yesterday:

*snip*

We no longer have yellow key tops or offer the single hand keyboard with the option to toggle between alpha and numeric so the key tops you currently have are now redundant.

We could create a new laser file for your current layout and the cost to produce that would be £30.00 and £10.00 shipping. I would estimate it would take 2-3 weeks to arrange for this job to be done.

If you want something different from what we currently offer or the old set you currently have then please send details of your requirements and we will see what we can do. If it is possible we will let you know and provide a quote.

We only offer ABS and any new ones would be to the same thickness as previously supplied.

Best wishes.

Martin

Actually, even though they are ABS, £40 (currently ~$60) including shipping from the UK for a perfect match for my current keyset isn't bad, so I'm going to order them. I picked up the Granite PBT set from and some subsets off of Massdrop (the ones from Signature Plastics) a couple of days ago, though sadly I will need to wait until June until they arrive, and I'll have a monster unusable spacebar plus some other keys that will get tossed in a drawer for awhile. I'm not sure how a mix of ABS and PBT on a keyboard will be, though I've typed on worse!

I might even get a quote for a custom set at some point -- ABS isn't too bad, I just prefer the feel of PBT.

Which reminds me, I should try POM keycaps at some point. That would be fun.  ;D