Author Topic: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 2nd Batch Shipped  (Read 318382 times)

Offline pace8500

Re: Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed]
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:12:00 »
I live in the UK and had pretty much no chance due to my time zone but submitted a form as soon as I woke up this morning. Obviously I can understand people here being a bit disappointed as it's a really nice board but some of the whinging is pretty OTT. I'm disappointed I didn't get in but sometimes that's just how it goes, hopefully I'll get in the next one  :)

TL;DR: Relax and quit moaning, keep an eye out for the next one

People are entitled to express their opinions without being told that they are moaning or being salty. Not everyone wants to toe the line.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:25:41 by pace8500 »

Offline Undone

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:18:36 »
Relax and quit moaning, keep an eye out for the next one

I can appreciate your positivity but people who didn't get in on this now just have to hope this comes along again in a year or two, or a second run happens. It's a pretty frustrating situation which I don't think was handled as well as it could have been.
DS3 TKL | Pok3r | Atreus

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:23:19 »

I can appreciate your positivity but people who didn't get in on this now just have to hope this comes along again in a year or two, or a second run happens. It's a pretty frustrating situation which I don't think was handled as well as it could have been.

This group buy was handled like any other duck group buy. Elton gave everyone a heads up in the Duck Blackbird Group buy thread.

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:29:22 »

This group buy was handled like any other duck group buy. Elton gave everyone a heads up in the Duck Blackbird Group buy thread.

Yes. And I think we should all be happy that Elton even does these group buys - they are a lot of work.

Offline Undone

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:35:57 »
This group buy was handled like any other duck group buy.
I'm failing to see your point.

Elton gave everyone a heads up in the Duck Blackbird Group buy thread.
I don't see anything on his profile prior to this GB since November the 4th. Unless you mean the picture form July, but I don't see how that matters?

Whatever, if you're happy with how this went then I'm happy for you. I'm just hoping for a second round now.
DS3 TKL | Pok3r | Atreus

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:44:32 »
I live in the UK and had pretty much no chance due to my time zone but submitted a form as soon as I woke up this morning. Obviously I can understand people here being a bit disappointed as it's a really nice board but some of the whinging is pretty OTT. I'm disappointed I didn't get in but sometimes that's just how it goes, hopefully I'll get in the next one  :)

People are entitled to express their opinions without being told that they are moaning or being salty. Not everyone wants to toe the line.

Do you not see the clear contradiction in what you have just said?

People are entitled to express their opinions of displeasure etc but I'm not entitled to express my opinion that they need to relax and stop moaning? At the end of the day the guy running it is under no obligation to run it at all, and if he wanted to he could simply pick and choose people however he so wished (I realise this is extremely unlikely and would lead to uproar but I'm simply illustrating a point). You're right undone, the prospect of waiting 2 years is pretty gutting but I think we are lucky to have a community that creates a lot of similar high quality boards. I don't really see how much better it could have been handled really =S. There were always going to be a lot of disappointed people that missed out. I suppose it depends upon whether you prefer the method of first come first served or a raffle type system, which of these is better is pretty much just down to personal opinion I guess

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:50:50 »
This group buy was handled like any other duck group buy.
I'm failing to see your point.

Elton gave everyone a heads up in the Duck Blackbird Group buy thread.
I don't see anything on his profile prior to this GB since November the 4th. Unless you mean the picture form July, but I don't see how that matters?

Whatever, if you're happy with how this went then I'm happy for you. I'm just hoping for a second round now.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83652.msg2310814#msg2310814

Offline pace8500

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:54:23 »

People are entitled to express their opinions of displeasure etc but I'm not entitled to express my opinion that they need to relax and stop moaning? At the end of the day the guy running it is under no obligation to run it at all, and if he wanted to he could simply pick and choose people however he so wished (I realise this is extremely unlikely and would lead to uproar but I'm simply illustrating a point). You're right undone, the prospect of waiting 2 years is pretty gutting but I think we are lucky to have a community that creates a lot of similar high quality boards. I don't really see how much better it could have been handled really =S. There were always going to be a lot of disappointed people that missed out. I suppose it depends upon whether you prefer the method of first come first served or a raffle type system, which of these is better is pretty much just down to personal opinion I guess

The comments that people are making can be seen as constructive and can be used to improve future group buys.

Nothing that you said was constructive, and you are basically trying to invalidate people's opinions by saying that they are just moaning.

Offline vegs

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:55:29 »
Will there be a waitlist or r2? Really wanted to get in this :(
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:57:32 »
We have all missed buying something at one point or another, I fail to see how this situation requires special attention. Please, let this argument die. There will be plenty of good boards to come and I don't see anyone changing their opinions.

Let the buyers be happy and I'm sorry to everyone who missed out.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:58:16 »
Seeing 3 pages of arguing/complaining I couldn't help but open my big fat mouth:

First off, FCFS is the only way.  It's just the way the world operates and removes any bias that is possible with a raffle. Let's examine this on a very large scale... So you guys tell me that if the newest phone comes out, we'll use the iPhone as an example b/c it's probably the single most popular.  So iPhone releases and Apple collects 10 million submissions over two days and then does a raffle?  There would be fanboy riots in the streets lol.  Not to mention that the iPhone releases according to local Apple time (in the US anyway) - aka PST at midnight, that's 3am EST... 

There have been countless nights many of us have lost sleep over keyboards/new products to be first in line.  A raffle isn't fair to those who pay attention, stay awake or miss out on other things to make the cut. 

A) If you wanted this badly enough, you'll follow the boards, timelines, set alarms, subscribe to notifications and be there when it drops.  And if you can't, you find a friend that can.

B) This is for two separate keyboards - if they were on separate GB pages this wouldn't even be a discussion.  I ordered one of each and don't feel the least bit bad about it.  I might be the odd man out, but if I do sell one, it will be only for the price I incurred - ripping people off is bad karma.  Even those that sell for much more than they paid, well, that's capitalism.  Don't buy it.

C) Running a group buy is an incredible amount of work.  100 submissions is extremely generous IMO.  Elton is certainly the man too - don't be giving him any lip.

I'm sorry to those who didn't get on the list.  I didn't make the 910 and was upset too, but that's life.  They're just keyboards after all.  The next hot design/maker will come along and you'll forget you ever were emo about this.  I'm also sorry if the GB didn't meet your personal expectations, but this is the way Duck buys have always gone down.  Elton gave plenty of notice in the prior GB thread (Black Bird) and there was like a 3 month warning that it was coming before the end of 2016.  I'm not sure what everyone is so upset about.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:59:37 »

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:06:40 »
Seeing 3 pages of arguing/complaining I couldn't help but open my big fat mouth:

First off, FCFS is the only way.  It's just the way the world operates and removes any bias that is possible with a raffle. Let's examine this on a very large scale... So you guys tell me that if the newest phone comes out, we'll use the iPhone as an example b/c it's probably the single most popular.  So iPhone releases and Apple collects 10 million submissions over two days and then does a raffle?  There would be fanboy riots in the streets lol.  Not to mention that the iPhone releases according to local Apple time (in the US anyway) - aka PST at midnight, that's 3am EST... 

There have been countless nights many of us have lost sleep over keyboards/new products to be first in line.  A raffle isn't fair to those who pay attention, stay awake or miss out on other things to make the cut. 

A) If you wanted this badly enough, you'll follow the boards, timelines, set alarms, subscribe to notifications and be there when it drops.  And if you can't, you find a friend that can.

B) This is for two separate keyboards - if they were on separate GB pages this wouldn't even be a discussion.  I ordered one of each and don't feel the least bit bad about it.  I might be the odd man out, but if I do sell one, it will be only for the price I incurred - ripping people off is bad karma.  Even those that sell for much more than they paid, well, that's capitalism.  Don't buy it.

C) Running a group buy is an incredible amount of work.  100 submissions is extremely generous IMO.  Elton is certainly the man too - don't be giving him any lip.

I'm sorry to those who didn't get on the list.  I didn't make the 910 and was upset too, but that's life.  They're just keyboards after all.  The next hot design/maker will come along and you'll forget you ever were emo about this.  I'm also sorry if the GB didn't meet your personal expectations, but this is the way Duck buys have always gone down.  Elton gave plenty of notice in the prior GB thread (Black Bird) and there was like a 3 month warning that it was coming before the end of 2016.  I'm not sure what everyone is so upset about.

This man speaks the truth... I on the other hand was too lazy to type it out  :thumb:

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:09:41 »
As one of the whiners, moaners, salt-throwers, and all around can't-get-over-it'ers, I'm recklessly adding this to the mess.

Just keeping the idea of utility in focus here: On the average, getting your first Duck Viper/Eagle is super exciting! Getting your second one, especially when the two are gained simultaneously, is significantly less thrilling: still really nice, but not twice as great as getting just one.

Losing out on the realistically hopeful possibility of getting your first Duck board and then just missing it is super disappointing. It sucks.

Every time an additional board goes to someone who already won in this GB, they profit by that secondary, lesser amount of utility, but another person loses by a siginificant measure, by missing out on that super exciting first board by Duck.

Boo-hoo-hoo.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:12:15 by nsmechkb »

Offline Shados

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:10:14 »
Are the aluminium plates raw or finished in some way (e.g. anodized, polished)?

Offline Undone

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:12:27 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83652.msg2310814#msg2310814

This doesn't show up on his profile for me. Regardless, it tells me he opened the GB on 'Mon, 28 November 2016, 21:18:34", and what you linked says "Mon, 28 November 2016, 21:26:37". Maybe I'm missing something, but that's not much of a warning.

I would agree that a raffle isn't fair, but at least the people who aren't there to get iPhones at 3AM know it will be available in the near future whether they get it at that time or not.

DS3 TKL | Pok3r | Atreus

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:23:33 »

The comments that people are making can be seen as constructive and can be used to improve future group buys.

Nothing that you said was constructive, and you are basically trying to invalidate people's opinions by saying that they are just moaning.

I'm sorry dude but that simply isn't the case. A lot of people are purely moaning without saying anything constructive. There have been some constructive points absolutely however. Aside from a raffle method there hasn't really been any alternative put forward by those 'constructive' people. I notice you have ignored quite a few things I said and replied fairly selectively but ok. Whether what I have said is constructive is up to interpretation really, I mean you can't just have people giving their opinion and then not have people that disagree reply can you?

Some of the people above me have illustrated things very well and in a far more articulate way than I have.

Finally, my sincere apologies for my contribution to this messy bickering. This has reminded me now why I very rarely make accounts/get involved on forums

Oops, just remembered another point I had meant to make.

I imagine if a lot of those people complaining had got in they wouldn't have any problem with the method used....
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:26:28 by Captainbuttmonkey »

Offline Nafs_asp

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:31:40 »

Apple also has a per customer limit on iPhone purchases after launch, and continues to make the product available pretty constantly thereafter, so bad analogy there.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:33:16 »
If I'm not mistaken, Viper V1 had an oddly shaped PCB but this PCB should be standard for both the Viper and the Eagle due to the two piece aluminum housing right?

Offline pace8500

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:33:30 »

I'm sorry dude but that simply isn't the case. A lot of people are purely moaning without saying anything constructive. There have been some constructive points absolutely however. Aside from a raffle method there hasn't really been any alternative put forward by those 'constructive' people. I notice you have ignored quite a few things I said and replied fairly selectively but ok. Whether what I have said is constructive is up to interpretation really, I mean you can't just have people giving their opinion and then not have people that disagree reply can you?

Some of the people above me have illustrated things very well and in a far more articulate way than I have.

Finally, my sincere apologies for my contribution to this messy bickering. This has reminded me now why I very rarely make accounts/get involved on forums

I imagine if a lot of those people complaining had got in they wouldn't have any problem with the method used....

I honestly don't have the time or patience to reply to all the points made on this thread. But there has been way too much shaming on both sides. The problem isn't with the people that won more than one, its with the way the group buy was ran. And people that missed out should be able to voice their opinion without being called salty/emo or being told that they are just moaning.

And I fully get that there is no perfect way of running a group buy. But I do have a suggestion, open the group buy thread before opening orders, and give people 24 hours notice of the start time. I would have happily set an alarm if I new I had to.

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:44:21 »
damnit i failed myself and slept through the GB. i bring dishonor to my family.

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:51:10 »

I honestly don't have the time or patience to reply to all the points made on this thread. But there has been way too much shaming on both sides. The problem isn't with the people that won more than one, its with the way the group buy was ran. And people that missed out should be able to voice their opinion without being called salty/emo or being told that they are just moaning.

And I fully get that there is no perfect way of running a group buy. But I do have a suggestion, open the group buy thread before opening orders, and give people 24 hours notice of the start time. I would have happily set an alarm if I new I had to.

Now that I can understand haha. I guess we are going to have to just agree to disagree on that in a way. I think if people are just posting childish whiny comments it's absolutely ok to call them out on it. If people are presenting a constructive criticism in a level headed way then of course they shouldn't be called moaners. There were people that fell into both these categories and my original point wasn't aimed at the whole lot, which maybe I could have been more clear about.

You see that second part is the kind of thing I think should be welcomed. You've put forward a feasible alternative and avoided doing it in a negative way =]

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 16:51:32 »
If I'm not mistaken, Viper V1 had an oddly shaped PCB but this PCB should be standard for both the Viper and the Eagle due to the two piece aluminum housing right?

look's like it

EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:14:44 »
Been thinking about my plate material choice; what do you guys think is best? I am planning on using linears with this board if that makes a difference.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:15:39 »
Been thinking about my plate material choice; what do you guys think is best? I am planning on using linears with this board if that makes a difference.

Stainless steel is what a lot of people recommend for linears.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:20:11 »

Orion v1 is the first time I used linear with SS plate, and I never choose anything else ever again if SS is an option ever since.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:22:41 »
What would you say the sound is like? I like a nice deep thock to my boards.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 18:09:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:32:10 by alienman82 »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 18:29:35 »

I've gone the opposite way of most people, I'm hoping to do an acrylic plate for linears sometime soon. Steel can be a bit harsh and I've come to like the very slight flex my Zenith has to it with SKCL's.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline elton5354

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 18:55:18 »
Replied to a couple more PMs. I'm currently updating the sheet to reflect the final prices.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:00:03 »
Replied to a couple more PMs. I'm currently updating the sheet to reflect the final prices.

Doesn't look like the sheet is public, is that intended while you update?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:25:27 »

I'd imagine so asorry he did that when he was updating those who made it into the 105.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:27:58 »
Got a Duck Eagle. Then I remembered how much I appreciated having the backspace in the HHKB location. Sooo, swapped to Viper. I also like having some more of the case top showing. Am I trying to convince myself? I don't know. Probably, yes.   :cool:

Offline elton5354

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:28:49 »

Would you like to see me update each order? ;)

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:31:19 »

Would you like to see me update each order? ;)

I mean that in itself could be some level of entertainment;)
Thanks for your work putting all this together Elton!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:36:27 »
Got a Duck Eagle. Then I remembered how much I appreciated having the backspace in the HHKB location. Sooo, swapped to Viper. I also like having some more of the case top showing. Am I trying to convince myself? I don't know. Probably, yes.   :cool:

Looks like the PCB is the same for both, so you could do a split backspace on either one?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:43:29 »

Looks like the PCB is the same for both, so you could do a split backspace on either one?
yeah the eagle supports every single viper layout and more
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:47:24 »

Savages! Where is the support for my decision?? Every moment this will haunt me.

Worthwhile info though. I do like having more of the top case show though and the feeling of the HHKB layout being standard on the Viper. Gracias amigo.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:50:03 »

Savages! Where is the support for my decision?? Every moment this will haunt me.

Worthwhile info though. I do like having more of the top case show though and the feeling of the HHKB layout being standard on the Viper. Gracias amigo.
viper all the way :thumb:
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 20:17:27 »

I do like having more of the top case show though and the feeling of the HHKB layout being standard on the Viper. Gracias amigo.

+1, Viper is sessy

Offline elton5354

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 21:37:55 »
Sheet is back up!

Offline tuco

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 21:47:46 »
Congrats to everyone who got in!

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 22:07:23 »
Sheet is back up!
Will you start invoicing sooner since it filled up so quick or do we still have till Dec. 20? I might have to sell off some stuff to finance this

Offline elton5354

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 22:10:11 »
Sheet is back up!
Will you start invoicing sooner since it filled up so quick or do we still have till Dec. 20? I might have to sell off some stuff to finance this

I was thinking of starting to invoice this Friday so we can get the boards ASAP.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 22:16:45 »
Sheet is back up!

I was thinking of starting to invoice this Friday so we can get the boards ASAP.

Lookin like a couple months from when order is placed?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 22:24:37 »
So SS plate + PCB is 1.09 kg? That doesn't look right to me..
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline hatran87

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 23:41:56 »
Sheet is back up!

Thank you very much elton, my dream came true :thumb:

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2016, 01:17:09 by hatran87 »

Compact SQ by Leeku

Offline ntw

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 23:49:04 »
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline wodan

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 00:14:25 »
Elton took orders worth ~35'000$ in ~3h with a niche product in a niche community. I never thought that was possible, I bet you can get a whole shipping container worth of gaming rubberdomes for that money ;)

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 00:18:39 »
Elton took orders worth ~35'000$ in ~3h with a niche product in a niche community. I never thought that was possible, I bet you can get a whole shipping container worth of gaming rubberdomes for that money ;)
That definitely puts into perspective the amount of faith we have in each other in this community.