Author Topic: [IC] Prophet - 60% Keyboard  (Read 96209 times)

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
Re: [IC] Prophet - 60% Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 10:53:42 »
this looks really nice!

the mount style is the same as the kbdfans 661 right?

No, this is pin mount

No it's the same construction. Just glad he made it a 60%. The kbd661 is rare now and has too many keys for my liking.   Looks hype

I mean it uses pins, and is sandwiched, but unlike the kdb661, the plate is loose. In the kdb661 I'm pretty sure the upper body places continuous pressure on the bottom. The Prophet's plate, on the other hand, just rests on top of the bottom, no top pressure, less snug fit.

correct the construction is different from 661.

Offline BIG_BUCKNUT

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 12:46:49 »
I'm definitely in for this. Just wanted to say I would be interested in multiple tops as well.

Also, as others have said, it's a relief to see this as a no limit group buy. Trying to get in on the FCFS sales is just the worst.

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 13:41:39 »
What's the plate to top gap size? Also, I assume the bezels on the bottom arent much wider than the pins themselves (on the order of a few mm)

Offline azulyf

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 16:21:55 »
Could you post some pic/video without top to elaborate how the plate is mounted?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 17:26:39 »
Could you post some pic/video without top to elaborate how the plate is mounted?

It's in the first post.

This is literally how it works.

Offline Vox

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 21:34:07 »
I'm kinda new so sorry for the dumb question. What're the traits of nylon and polypropylene for the plate and how do they compare to polycarbonate?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 23:34:08 »

It's also shown here in this video here, in real time/life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLxB3Jpa4A

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 04:32:06 »
I'm kinda new so sorry for the dumb question. What're the traits of nylon and polypropylene for the plate and how do they compare to polycarbonate?

you can see what I said on discord about it here:

Both are softer than acrylic and PC. PP has a much lower rating in terms of hardness which gives it a really soft bottom out and a lighter note. Nylon has a slightly deeper note than that and is also slightly firmer. The advantage in both is they are soft enough to dampen vibrations from hitting switches
Fwiw nylon is my preferred material in this case

What's the plate to top gap size? Also, I assume the bezels on the bottom arent much wider than the pins themselves (on the order of a few mm)

0.75mm, the edges of the base (what you called bezels) are around 2mm, the pins are 0.95mm

It's in the first post.

Show Image

This is literally how it works.

pretty much exactly this. You just stack it all together and screw it on.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 05:20:01 »
Is it similar to Tind in construction?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 05:38:27 »

I don't know this keyboard so cannot comment. A search only brought up a single render.

Offline vegs

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 05:58:26 »
If you're thinking about the mounting, then yes. It's the same idea.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline datfroyodoe

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:16:31 »
Would the nylon plates be prone to warping?

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:19:23 »
Yeah, that's the idea: same overall "seamless" design.

I don't know this keyboard so cannot comment. A search only brought up a single render.

Here's a video of proto:
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:21:35 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline Solotov

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:19:41 »
Interesting mounting style. How would you compare this mount to integrated plate mount? From what I see, the plate with pin mount will lie on the bottom case, so it should be kind of stiff?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:49:00 »
Yeah, that's the idea: same overall "seamless" design.

Here's a video of proto:

Yeah, so this is nothing like that, outside of the fact that the final build looks seamless. On this the plate rests on the edge of the base secured by slipping over 4 pins in the corner. The Prophet is not a gasket mount board, nor is it an isolation mount (which is what the Tind looks like to be). I'd expect a different experience to the Tind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:54:05 by Zeelobby »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:53:14 »
Interesting mounting style. How would you compare this mount to integrated plate mount? From what I see, the plate with pin mount will lie on the bottom case, so it should be kind of stiff?

So where this differs is the recommended materials for the plate. The nylon or pp plates should be much more flexible than metallic or hard plastic plates. Add to that the loose mounting style, and you should get more flex and uniform flex across the board. Now this isn't a gasket/isolation mount, so I wouldn't expect to get as much flex as one of those, it's more the uniform flex across the whole board which is interesting (imagine a net stretched taught, suspended between 4 trees at the corners, with keys on it).

If you used the provided files to create a metallic plate it would be similar to an integrated plate mount, but since the integrated mount is sandwiched/screwed in, the metallic on this would still provide more flex, since it's still loose and just "draped" over the 4 pins.

Hope that helps a little, and I'm sure OP will correct me if wrong :D.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 07:32:03 »

So where this differs is the recommended materials for the plate. The nylon or pp plates should be much more flexible than metallic or hard plastic plates. Add to that the loose mounting style, and you should get more flex and uniform flex across the board. Now this isn't a gasket/isolation mount, so I wouldn't expect to get as much flex as one of those, it's more the uniform flex across the whole board which is interesting (imagine a net stretched taught, suspended between 4 trees at the corners, with keys on it).

If you used the provided files to create a metallic plate it would be similar to an integrated plate mount, but since the integrated mount is sandwiched/screwed in, the metallic on this would still provide more flex, since it's still loose and just "draped" over the 4 pins.

Really appreciate your detailed explanation.  :thumb: Now I have my eyes on that nylon plate  :p
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 07:43:39 »

Really appreciate your detailed explanation.  :thumb: Now I have my eyes on that nylon plate  :p

No problem  :D. It's definitely a unique design not really seen elsewhere which is cool. There will be a ton of gasket and isolation boards this year, but I'm following this one purely because it is more of a "first".

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 08:23:28 »

No problem  :D. It's definitely a unique design not really seen elsewhere which is cool. There will be a ton of gasket and isolation boards this year, but I'm following this one purely because it is more of a "first".

beating me to it! You got a pretty good understanding of it and I'd agree with what you say about the difference between metal and plastic!

nylon does shrink slightly, I have a build with a nylon half plate in my private round build and have been using it for 6 months pretty much daily. I can't see any difference in the plate from when I initially installed the build in it to now.

Offline Woahder

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 12:38:11 »
Intersted! Not a big 60% person but the sound tests of this board are way too tempting

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 23:40:47 »
Been waiting for this. Excited for nylon plate, pin mount, all of it.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 23:42:33 »
just hoping i have the funds for this been big spending lately for a guy who has no job T_T would hate to miss this.
I love Elzy

Offline datfroyodoe

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 23:53:53 »

Really appreciate your detailed explanation.  :thumb: Now I have my eyes on that nylon plate 

beating me to it! You got a pretty good understanding of it and I'd agree with what you say about the difference between metal and plastic!

nylon does shrink slightly, I have a build with a nylon half plate in my private round build and have been using it for 6 months pretty much daily. I can't see any difference in the plate from when I initially installed the build in it to now.
I was hesitant on the nylon plate but I might be keen give it a go now, thank you

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 05:20:34 »

Really appreciate your detailed explanation.  :thumb: Now I have my eyes on that nylon plate 

I was hesitant on the nylon plate but I might be keen give it a go now, thank you

FWIW I think additional plates should be really affordable!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 06:09:41 »

What about PCBs :D? With the speedy remounting speed it would be a shame to let desoldering slow you down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 06:18:33 »

What about PCBs :D? With the speedy remounting speed it would be a shame to let desoldering slow you down.

definitely available! hopefully pretty affordable too :-)

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 09:11:07 »

Any 60% pcb will do, especially usb c. So just get a 60pcb of your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 11:06:02 »
Any 60% pcb will do, especially usb c. So just get a 60pcb of your choice.

Yup, ignore me, I'm an idiot. Forgot you can drop any PCB in this case.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 13:03:53 »
I usually only consider 60% and 65% for on the go boards (which means I need BT compatibility). This might be the first board I buy just coz it's so pretty and sleek (hopefully I have money by then).

Offline fluidin

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 20:58:34 »
really hoping that red will be offered again !!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 22:00:35 »
really hoping that red will be offered again !!
This is a valid statement. I'd totally take a red.

Offline akacronos131

• uwu
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 16:44:53 »
sick board, definetly getting this one

Offline chive_

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 18:29:19 »
In for this one, excited to try out PP and Nylon. Any updates on possibly selling tops separately? I'd possibly be interested in getting one HHKB and one WKL.

Looking forward to updates!

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:55:20 »
In for this one, excited to try out PP and Nylon. Any updates on possibly selling tops separately? I'd possibly be interested in getting one HHKB and one WKL.

Enough people are interested that will try to make it work. Currently waiting on the factory to come back to work to get firmer updates and obviously that might take a little longer now.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:18:44 »

Enough people are interested that will try to make it work. Currently waiting on the factory to come back to work to get firmer updates and obviously that might take a little longer now.
Awesome. Would love to easy swap to wkl or hhkb, etc with pcb/plates.

Offline chive_

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 23:31:30 »

:thumb:

Offline zekth

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 04:13:39 »
Count me in  :thumb:

Offline dRpkebs

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 19:36:03 »
For sure in for this one! Really hoping I can snag one of these up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 20:06:57 »
Noob question: Does the nature of this kind build make typing a wobbly experience? I ask because from the test vids, the keebs sound stable and consistent and I want to know how that's possible.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 07:01:49 »
Noob question: Does the nature of this kind build make typing a wobbly experience? I ask because from the test vids, the keebs sound stable and consistent and I want to know how that's possible.

I'm not too sure what you mean by wobbly, the assembly doesn't really move around inside the case unless you pick it up and shake it.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 08:51:05 »
Sound alone put me in on this board.

Would love a dark olive or a Maroon color for this, but otherwise I'll likely be in for a silver or grey.  :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 10:45:59 »

I'm not too sure what you mean by wobbly, the assembly doesn't really move around inside the case unless you pick it up and shake it.

Thanks that’s all I needed to hear! Looking forward to an e-white or dare I say red Prophet.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 10:59:18 »

Thanks that’s all I needed to hear! Looking forward to an e-white or dare I say red Prophet.

Yeah, I think the very nature of the plate material means it's more likely to stretch and give then rattle.

Offline Olivierko

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:42:12 »
Any information regarding estimated weight of the board and lead time?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 13:24:21 »
Any information regarding estimated weight of the board and lead time?

lead time is currently up in the air due to the situation in China. Will be updating here once I am able to narrow down information.

Weight of my built one from the last round is 1003g with GMK caps. tends to be within 50g of this weight.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 09:19:15 »
May have been addressed previously, but does the top case sit pretty far up? Looks to be higher on the caps than most cases. IMO that's a good thing, as the top on this thing looks killer.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:39:38 »
May have been addressed previously, but does the top case sit pretty far up? Looks to be higher on the caps than most cases. IMO that's a good thing, as the top on this thing looks killer.

Distance from plate to top of case is 7.8mm. After some experimentation I found that I like this measurement the most for high profile.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 22:39:51 »
Distance from plate to top of case is 7.8mm. After some experimentation I found that I like this measurement the most for high profile.
Isn't that a bit on the high side? Don't know if it's a good thing to optimize for high profiles when cherry is by far the most popular. I mainly take issue with this running flipped spacebar, as the thumb won't naturally depress the spacebar before hitting the edge of the keyboard. Oh well, I doubt it's feasible to make any changes at this point so it is what it is. At least the edge looks to be a bit rounded, so it might not be too painful for the thumb.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2020, 22:41:45 by noorejji »

Offline manzel

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 02:54:27 »
I think he meant high profile cases and not high profile caps. From what I have seen, 7.8 mm is fairly common as the bezel height.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 05:05:26 »
I think he meant high profile cases and not high profile caps. From what I have seen, 7.8 mm is fairly common as the bezel height.
Yeah. I think he meant this.