geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

The problem with resellers

<< < (2/4) > >>

Darthbaggins:
There is a problem with the One per Household mentality, Say I want to buy 3 of a current GPU and 1 is for each member of the family.  Or say I purchase one then later that year I need to get another for my son or for a workstation in the house other than my own rig.  Same falls in line for a small business building multiple machines and are willing to pay retail for said machines or parts.
I'm for bringing down the scalpers from the height they've amassed to, but right now is a perfect storm for this to happen.  If the world wasn't in its current state we wouldn't be having these issues.

blondie:
I don't mean exactly one. I mean a limited number. It depends on the product and the market. Regardless of what that exact number is, a limitation of this kind can reduce scalping.

I don't know the solution for businesses, but that may just be the wrench in this idea. Even if you limit to one for retail, I can see where scalpers will incorporate to pretend to be a business which needs high quantities, and then sell them off. But it could still work for consumer-only products like consoles.

Olumin:
The scalpers aren’t the problem, they’re only doing it cause it’s a viable business model. The problem are the idiots that, like impatient children the night before Christmas eve, can’t wait a few weeks or months and actually buy from them.

Scalpers hate this one simple trick: You don’t NEED that PS5 RIGHT NOW.

Darthbaggins:
I know what price I will pay for a GPU - 3080 - and it's around the MSRP mark + tarrifs and local/state taxes.
PS5 - I learned my lesson from the PS4 launch and I will never buy a console the first year they launch.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Mon, 10 May 2021, 19:07:08 ---I know what price I will pay for a GPU - 3080 - and it's around the MSRP mark + tarrifs and local/state taxes.
PS5 - I learned my lesson from the PS4 launch and I will never buy a console the first year they launch.

--- End quote ---

Launch PS3,  No regrats.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version