Author Topic: Racing game developers = Kinda lazy ?  (Read 5527 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Racing game developers = Kinda lazy ?
« on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 15:49:41 »
Installed dat old 2010  Dirt 3 game.

And first thing Tp4 noticed, was that the buildings were kind of box-looking and cookie cutter.

Went to youtube, checking out the latest Forza Horizon 2018, Grid 2019, F1 2020, and you n0 what,  The map assets STILL look like 2010 games.. cookie cutter houses, same-y vegetation.

What's also odd is , they still haven't fixed the curves in the road looking polygonal instead of Curvy.

The only thing that's improved really is ambient lighting and I suppose reflections.  But those Already looked quite good in 2010.

The car model has higher polygon count and I'd assume they're tessellated, but, meh... feels like they've stood in place.

Offline captain

Re: Racing game developers = Kinda lazy ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 15:57:01 »
You should play Driver: San Francisco

Tapatalk steals money then adds ads back in and demands more money! 
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 17:22:24 »
I mean racing is not a creative or boundary pushing genre to begin with. That paired with current hardware basically plateauing these days. The increases racing games make are incremental comparatively, most are not visual like physics and AI. Sim ****s usually are iRacing fanboys. Haven't played it myself but people swear by it for realism. Project Cars 2 has purty graphics if that's all you care about. Forza Horizon 4 is open world and has a huge map. If you think those 3 games look and feel like a 2010 PS3 title I dunno what to tell you.

Also have you ever BEEN to a racetrack? Everything is angular and boxy in actuality.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 23:59:19 »
Uuhhff.. think I may have motion-sickness.  Been playing for a few hours.  Rally games bounce up and down really fast compared to regular racers.

Feel a bit light headed/dizzy.    That or Tp4 is about to die in a puddle of his own lung-fluids al'Korona.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 02:52:44 »
Uuhhff.. think I may have motion-sickness.  Been playing for a few hours.  Rally games bounce up and down really fast compared to regular racers.

Feel a bit light headed/dizzy.    That or Tp4 is about to die in a puddle of his own lung-fluids al'Korona.

clearly tp lacks the proper hardware for the true pc racing experience

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 07:51:41 »
I wouldn't buy a sim station. I see no point in racing games when they feel all the same

Offline tentboy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 09:12:05 »
I sim race and irl race.  Most racing games fall into one of two categories sim, or arcade/sim-cade.

I played dirt 3 a long time ago but you should really check out dirt rally/dirt rally 2.0 as those are firmly in the sim category where dirt 3 is pretty much an arcade like game.

I mainly play iracing because the cars and tracks are modeled fantastically.  All the cars are hand modeled from real specs and the tracks are laser scanned.  I couldn't care less about what the grandstands, trees, and background look like when I am racing around the track and would rather the developers spend their time modeling more cars/tracks and improving physics but thats just my 2 cents.  Assetto corsa competizione is a VERY pretty game as well.  but my computer cant run it very well

The codemasters f1 games are a good mix of sim/arcade and allow a decent challenge with all assists turned off but are still accessible for most people.  I like to play them since I like f1 and the f1 cars in iracing are very challenging to drive, almost prohibitively so.

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2020, 09:14:05 by tentboy »

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 10:58:58 »
I'm playing a lot of GT Sport. That series have a sort of sterile look but the lighting engine is pretty fantastic.

The last racing game I thought looked really interesting (it also played fantastically) was Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed. The latest iteration Team Sonic Racing is pretty duff though.

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 04:31:11 »
cars are pretty easy things to draw for a computer, so that was handled a long time ago, look at nsf underground (2001), the reflections and lighting looks like garbage but the cars look good, from that point in 20 years we could not evolve too much and racing games are often made to be run on pretty old PC and when you are driving you should not really look at them that much, so less detailed assets and less of them makes sense, makes for higher performance and less work for the designers too. most of the work in race game lately has been on physics engines, so that the games are closer to life when it comes to handling and damage.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 05:22:36 »
Don't play any sim-style racing games, Tp4 can't affordz dat Logitech G29 wheel.

They're hard too because counter steering on the wheel takes actual muscle.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 07:04:18 »
i play them on controller or keyboard, cause i can't afford a decent wheel either, keyboard with no assists makes for quite a challenge:)
(to play with keyboard you need to reduce inputs, i think i have it set to 70% throttle and brakes and it kinda works, i mean it is possible to not spin out of control)

Offline tentboy

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 07:52:29 »
i play them on controller or keyboard, cause i can't afford a decent wheel either, keyboard with no assists makes for quite a challenge:)
(to play with keyboard you need to reduce inputs, i think i have it set to 70% throttle and brakes and it kinda works, i mean it is possible to not spin out of control)

I highly recommend a controller if you are not going to be using a wheel/pedals.  Reason being you can have throttle/brake assigned to the triggers which lets you modulate input vs a keyboard which is a binary action, of either on or off.  Will give you much more control :)

Offline walie

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:08:31 »
I wouldn't buy a sim station. I see no point in racing games when they feel all the same

Of course you’re not getting one, you’re 13

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 07:44:31 »
I'm playing a lot of GT Sport. That series have a sort of sterile look but the lighting engine is pretty fantastic.

The last racing game I thought looked really interesting (it also played fantastically) was Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed. The latest iteration Team Sonic Racing is pretty duff though.

Sonic all stars is pretty fun, late game got too RNG to feel skills driven. But it's not really meant to be, it's more a party game.

It would be interesting if codemasters did an Initial D game.  Cuz that whole tuners progression is sorely missed ever since Sega-GT all the way back on Original Xbox.

Then with Initial D extreme stage on PS3, the whole damn thing loaded from disc making load times unbearably slow.  Ontop of the soap bar physics.  Initial D stage 3 was much more like Sega-Gt, then they ruined it all the way up to stage 6, I heard the stage 7 is better now, but too damn late.

Codemaster's engine imho is perfectly tuned for making a fantastic initial d.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 10:15:32 »
Don't play any sim-style racing games, Tp4 can't affordz dat Logitech G29 wheel.

the G29 is a starter wheel and is garbage, look into Thrustmasters line of wheel sets - better priced and allow for growth of components.
On controller I tend to use the right thumb stick for Accel and Brake since it gives a more granular control vs full send to no send, lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 10:29:25 »

the G29 is a starter wheel and is garbage, look into Thrustmasters line of wheel sets - better priced and allow for growth of components.
On controller I tend to use the right thumb stick for Accel and Brake since it gives a more granular control vs full send to no send, lol.

here tp4 was, saving up for a g29.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 14:09:39 »
Just saved you some money then for moar shtuff  :thumb:

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 10:00:29 »
Just saved you some money then for moar shtuff  :thumb:

is g29 that bad, I'm worried about other company stuff not being supported well software side. logi has been solid on that front for very long.

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 01:42:12 »
you can always go the DIY route, with an arduino and open software, that way you are sure of the support :)
two of the ones i saw:
more expensive with force feedback:
much cheaper, but no feedback: