geekhack Community > New Members

I'm Henri

(1/2) > >>

HenriH:
Hi!

I'm Henri.

11 years ago I got an idea of a new kind of computer keyboard. Too bad, I still haven't found a team to build it with me.

My keyboard needs transparent keycaps. There needs to be small display screens between the transparent keycaps and the key switches.

My keyboard needs an operating system, too. Maybe Android?

So, any ideas? How can I build my dream keyboard? Who is going to design and manufacture the circuit boards? Where to get all the plastic? I am not an engineer; only a physicist.

Am I asking for impossible things?

Thanks!

cactux:
Welcome!, I guess you start drawing some of your ideas in a piece of paper, that will help you to get a better idea of your potential designs, at that stage you do not need to worrier about the physical components too much.
You have to do some investigation, because maybe someone out there already tried something similar and you can probably reuse (remember, do not try to reinvent the wheel)

P.S the sky is your limit

HenriH:

--- Quote from: cactux on Sun, 19 August 2012, 16:40:51 ---Welcome!, I guess you start drawing some of your ideas in a piece of paper, that will help you to get a better idea of your potential designs, at that stage you do not need to worrier about the physical components too much.
You have to do some investigation, because maybe someone out there already tried something similar and you can probably reuse (remember, do not try to reinvent the wheel)

P.S the sky is your limit

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

I want the display screens to be stationary. Somehow the keycaps need to connect to the key switches by going around the stationary display screen.

WRXChris:
Welcome to GH!  A keyboard just like what you are describing came out about 2 years ago.  Here's the website.

It is EXTEREMELY expensive.  The original full-sized model is no longer in production, and a new compact layout is available for pre-order for €800.  Maybe you can design one that is more affordable! :D

HenriH:

--- Quote from: WRXChris on Sun, 19 August 2012, 16:55:05 ---Welcome to GH!  A keyboard just like what you are describing came out about 2 years ago.  Here's the website.

It is EXTEREMELY expensive.  The original full-sized model is no longer in production, and a new compact layout is available for pre-order for €800.  Maybe you can design one that is more affordable! :D

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

Yes, something like that, but I want my keyboard to have buckling spring keys. The only difference to the regular keyboard is that there is this void, between the transparent keycaps and keyswitches, for the display. :)

Any ideas how to design and manufacture these kind of "weird" keycaps and keyswitches I'm proposing? I have no idea...

The keyboard layout will be something like this (never mind the colours):

I got inspiration from Gateway AnyKey keyboard and ANSI, ISO, and JIS layouts!

Also, I think there will be one display per key row. So, maybe there will be six displays per keyboard. Any ideas, how to control these six (short and very wide) displays?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version