Author Topic: New to geekhack  (Read 2629 times)

Offline adrock

New to geekhack
« on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 16:11:12 »
but i've been using keyboards for years.

currently looking to replace a corsair K60 due to the spongy top row. i wasn't too sure about all the mechanical shenanigans 'til it turned out the old SGI board i used for years was mechanical; it sadly got traded for a more compact rubber dome sgi board some years ago.

I like the cherry reds on  this corsair board but i miss double-taps frequently because i'm not letting the key back up far enough, so currently looking to try out mx browns instead as i'm led to believe they'll be closer to the old SGI board i used.

Also i've always wondered why keyboards don't have metal keys, and that now appears to be a possibility, so hurray!

Offline jcrouse

Re: New to geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 16:17:45 »
Welcome aboard. You will find many answers here to your questions.

Enjoy,
John

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 16:20:17 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 16:25:06 »
Browns will have a small tactile bump. Should help.

You could also try blues as there is a little more of a "pop" feeling when you let up on a key press, but they are a bit noisy (not for everyone).

Welcome to GH! Keep us updated and enjoy the community.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 22:42:56 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

Browns may give you enough feedback to know when the switch reset. Otherwise blues/clears will also do the same but with a larger bump.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 04:41:53 »
Could try ergo clears as well light with large tactile bump.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 05:06:12 »
Greetings and welcome!

I, too, discarded an old mechanical keyboard many years ago, but since have seen the light and now have four with another one on order.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rafen

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 05:29:29 »
Welcome to geekhack!

I would recommend going with the browns as someone said before there is a little bit of a tacitle bump but not much. The browns are also quieter than the blues. If noise isn't a problem I would say try blues or browns. I never had a problem double tapping on blues or browns so I think you will be fine either way for that.

Offline adrock

New to geekhack
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 07:24:00 »
I've ordered a filco ninja with browns, and in a couple of weeks I'm going to check out a potential source for both beige and granite sgi boards with alps switches. They're pretty cheap (£15-20) so I may pick up a couple and try them. Also going to get a white set for the filco I think.

The filco arrives tomorrow :D

Offline Dajm

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 16:13:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!