Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 1681 times)

Offline alexcount

Howdy!
« on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 12:32:31 »
Hey felllow GeekHacker's,
Long time lurker and lifetime geekhacker at heart, but first time posting.

Growing up in Manhatten during the 90's i was an avid keyboard/computer collector, remembering fondly boxes of WYSE and IBM Model M keyboards I passed up over my youth. My collection is respectable despite the small apartment i grew up in, but at the time I figured if i came home with a box of 20+ keyboard at the age of 13 they probably would have committed me...

My main keyboard is a classic IBM Model M Built in 1989. sadly the enter key on the numpad is dead, but evrything else works fine, maybe ill get around to a compelte teradown/cleaning again someday.

Also running a modified Data911 branded TG3-BL82a with working back-light, I noticed while opening it up to remove the silicon splash guard that the pcb is labeled ps2/USB, this gives me hope iot could be rewired/modified to accept USB natively, if the 2KRO could be upped to the 6KRO of the usb TG3 Deck 82 (hey, i can dream right...)

Planning to get a Teensy to run my 121~ key 1984 IBM Model F, and maybe a few old Burroughs keyboards I have laying around. I have to look through storage, but I bet i can dig up at least one WYSE keyboard.

MY computer collection is small but respectable, featuring a boxed VIC-20 and C-64, dozens of C-64's and there variants (C128, C64 late, CX64 somewhere sadly sans keyboard :( ), a boxed TRS-80 model 100 1(best keyboard ever on a laptop IMHO), many old apple ii's (iie iigs) and mac's (mac 128k, 512k, mac plus boxed, mac se, seII, classic, le, leii, etc. plus every apple keyboard 1985-2000~) an amiga 1000, and a whole bunch more i cant even recall. among these are probably at least 50 vintage boards, so stay tuned as i dig. many i havent seen in years, many times I forget what i collected...

well I know know what I NEED in life, and that is a hall effect sensor keyboard..... hope to find one somewhere, as this has been called the "holy grail" of keyboard switches.

I'm in love with this forum, finally a place for discussing my keyboard hobby with like minds.
Thanks you all, Alexander Countey

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 13:21:11 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 17:05:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Ah yes, I remember the old Tandy Model 100, I had one briefly.  It was a nice keyboard, shame about the "screen" though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ