Author Topic: ..and here comes a new challenger! From South America.  (Read 3474 times)

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
..and here comes a new challenger! From South America.
« on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 12:11:27 »
I started to feel like I was typing too much and my fingers were suffering from that.
That made me go after mechanical keyboards, and geeky as I am, I went after several 'credible' places that redirected all to resources in here.

So, here I am!

As posted on the sticky, I spend more than I should in input devices and also I am not very blessed with my geographical position; most of the equipment needs to be imported here and is craaazy expensive.
Oh, of course, this is important: I'm Brazilian.

Hope to find valuable resources and maybe even some nice deals and partners to fulfill my mad scientist projects... MWAHAHAHA!
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: ..and here comes a new challenger! From South America.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 13:39:44 »
Hey man welcome to Geekhack!
I love Elzy

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 13:46:19 »
Welcome to GH bro, enjoy your stay
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 13:48:36 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:56:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

At least it it not just Australia where it is stupidly expensive to import keyboards.

At least custom key caps are relatively expensive to import (in most cases).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Viz

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 17:34:13 »
Yes, the location is a *****. I live in Norway, and it's really hard to get cool stuff into this country.
It is so sad, when you're so passionate about something, but the location restricts you.

Offline vbrenny

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 17:54:09 »
Thanks everybody for the welcoming :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

At least it it not just Australia where it is stupidly expensive to import keyboards.

At least custom key caps are relatively expensive to import (in most cases).

I think *maybe* we can beat Australia to importing taxes.
If you compare some fairly popular devices in here you can see the abusive overpricing.
Like the Microsoft Desktop 5000: in US, you find it from USD 50. In Brazil, crazy cheap stores sell it for BRL 275, or about USD135 - and this is for usual,popular stuff.
When it comes to more advanced, hard-to-find (yep, believe me) gear like CMStorm, the cheapest price I could find was about BRL380 , or USD 190.
Import taxes are of, at least, 60% of the gross amount of products+shipping, and state taxes also apply. So, sometimes, if you import by yourself purchasing locally can be cheaper.

So, how do you compare that to Australia?

Mainly, this is why I have been making more of a scavenge job than properly looking for better prices and hardware I go along with. I have only once used a mechanical keyboard, and it was a Model M from an old computer thrown at a deposit from the college I was at that time working. I miss it :'(

Right now, my projects are to assemble a notebook keyboard into a desktop-usable one and also to recover a fairly good rubberdome PS2 oldie. After all, my paycheck does not allow me to go much further than that.
The notebook keyboard is the LG R405's HMB4434EB, while the oldie is an IBM KB-9910. Pretty good quality, both.

I have looked for, but I wasn't able to find anywhere the schematics for this laptop keyboard ribbon. As far as I've understood, it is a fancied-up PS/2 interface.
Do you guys have any references for me to look at?

Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 18:11:01 »
Import tax per se I don't know.  But it usually costs between $50 adn $60 shipping to get a keyboard from US to Australia.

And I can buy 4 individual key caps for $10 from US, and shipping to Australia is about $40.  Figure that  :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 18:15:04 »

Offline vbrenny

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 18:43:21 »

Import tax per se I don't know.  But it usually costs between $50 adn $60 shipping to get a keyboard from US to Australia.

And I can buy 4 individual key caps for $10 from US, and shipping to Australia is about $40.  Figure that  :o

Well, I think since our importing taxes are so abusive I didn't even care about the shipping.
I just calculated my costs to ship from LA, CA to my house.
It is Fedex's international delivery, and guess what.. a Rosewill keyboard costs USD 45 to ship - and we are on the same continent!

Well, I'm not going to turn the topic into a competition to see who can get the most expensive shipping or taxes, but probably some people are going to think I'm nothing but a cheapass - which is not the case. I'm just born in the wrong place, earning less than I'd want to... and if some good soul would like to send me donations, the goodwill association that runs in my house will gladly accept it! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:31:38 »
There was talk of setting up an Australian proxy at one stage - basically one kind person who collects O/S orders and gets them shipped all at once.  That would help with the shipping costs, but not necessarily the import tax.

I think you might be stuck there :(

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 06:09:23 »
If someone is willing to do a sale in the classifieds, it may be like $20-30 through USPS.

Welcome tho, hope you find a board.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Bozemizm

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 07:11:14 »
Welcome, dude!
I'm from Brazil too and I know it's hard to buy good stuff here.

Offline vbrenny

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 07:54:32 »
Hey, fellow samba-dancer, jungle-liver!

I live in Parana, not so distant from civilization, but seems like if you don't live in Sao Paulo you have an additional challenge layer to overcome.

May I ask some tips of nice places to buy locally other than Kabum and/or places that only offer Cooler Masters?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 12:32:32 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tillertow

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:33:55 »
Welcome mate...this is THE place to be :)
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:57:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline MechKey

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:58:51 »
Welcome!  Norway is a long way off.