geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Swiss ISO Layout : what are my options?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Giorgio:
Right now there are some international DSA sets on sale on massdrop plus ISO kids. They are immediately available because they are left overs. After that, get a standard dsa set from pimp my keyboard.

Red392:
Hi there! I'm bumping the Ol'zombie thread because I am very VERY eager to know of any development in the matter of swiss layout.

Are old cherry keyboards still the only source of good keycaps?

Any good board recomendation?

Thanks!

Polymer:

--- Quote from: clickity on Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:26:00 ---Hey, Swiss, relatively new, lookig for good keycaps here :)

Sorry to wake up the zombie thread but... did you have any luck with your quest for good CH layout caps ? They are so damn hard to find !

And also, there is this Facebook group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/413271138854299/members/

There's literally *not even* dozens of us ! ;)

--- End quote ---

Too bad I didn't see that when I was living in Lausanne....

Photekq:

--- Quote from: Red392 on Tue, 05 May 2020, 12:43:59 ---Hi there! I'm bumping the Ol'zombie thread because I am very VERY eager to know of any development in the matter of swiss layout.

Are old cherry keyboards still the only source of good keycaps?

Any good board recomendation?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

This isn't a definitive answer by any means, since I don't keep up with every new keycap offering/GB. So please take what I say with a pinch of salt, and hopefully someone will suggest something I'm unaware of.

From what I gather, your only options for 'readily available' Swiss keycaps would be a custom set from WASDkeyboards (just an example - you can design your own) or a backlit set from MAXkeyboard. I don't think anyone here would try and claim these keycaps are great though. They'll do the job, but they're not the best.

In regards to more "high quality" keysets like GMK, MT3, etc. it's very easy to find an ISO set, but I haven't seen a single set with Swiss layout support. It's understandable, since ISO alone gets less attention than ANSI, nevermind specific regional layouts. Swiss, as I'm sure you know, is far more niche than German or French as well. So, as far as high quality keysets go, you're still pretty much limited to original Cherry. I'm going to post a few examples I know of below to give you an idea of the variants. These are incredibly rare in Swiss layout though, so don't expect to find one quickly (or for a cheap price).

Thick, doubleshot ABS (first letter H) :

G80-3036HAC
G80-3036HAMCH (pictured with Russian stickers which are not a part of the original keyboard)
G80-3000HAC

Thick, dyesub PBT, my personal favourite (first letter S) :

G81-3077SAC
G81-3081SAC

To boil it down to 2 rules :

You're looking for article numbers which contain either G80 or G81 at the start. This corresponds to MX or MY switches respectively. The keycaps used for MY keyboards are MX compatible (winkey layout has non-compatible modifiers, but that's unimportant for the Swiss layout keys).

For article numbers with 3 letters following the 4 digit number, you're looking for the last letter to be C e.g G80-3000HAC. For article numbers with 5 letters following the 4 digit number, you're looking for the last 2 letters to be CH e.g G80-3036HAMCH. These letters dictate the layout, and C/CH specifies Swiss layout.

Red392:
Thank you SO much for this awesome answer, I'm on the lookout for the S*C versions then!

Awesome help you gave me there,  I'll keep you updated on what I find!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version