Author Topic: Leopold 700 issues  (Read 3053 times)

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
Leopold 700 issues
« on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 06:33:23 »
In September last year I bought a Leopold and it was goiing fine up until yesterday. Out of no where it has started having what appear to be key chattering issues. The key it keeps double and triple pressing on occasions is the "I" key. It's not a constant thing, but annoyiing enough to make me wonder iif the switch is broken or what not. I have taken a picture of something I noticed when changing the keys on my keyboard a couple of weeks back to my Valentines set, now keep in mind I have not used any sort of key remover that shape or size or one that has any sort of sharpness to it that could press the metal beside the switch down like this, nor has anyone else used my keyboard;

Does anyone else have any iissues with key chattering on their Leopold or even have that weird hole on their keyboard? I have contacted the place I bought it from and hopefully they can replace it for me or something. So annoyed right now with it. -_-
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 06:39:19 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline MissMurd3r84

Re: Leopold 700 issues
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 06:55:25 »
Thank you for your very helpful post :P ;) Or maybe it's just that my world seems to be fiilled with bad luck.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:02:55 »
Hmm.... that hole doesn't look like a defect.. But, residual hole punch material, may have affected the mounting of that "switch.."  OR pieces of said residual could be causing a minor short.

Easy fix.. Desolder, open switch.. check.. all good, resolder.. OR buy replacement switch for $1...

is it still under warranty?

if not,, replace switch is the only sure fix..  ASSUMING, its' not a "cracked pcb."  causing the chatter..   OR it could be that there's too much solder on the contacts, and a tiny shard is shorting the switch... hmmmm....

:)) :))

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:05:36 »
I'm not too keen on spending money on a soldering iron and all that to attempt to fix it myself, I lack confidence when it comes to things like that. I am hoping that perhaps the company II bought it from will be able to help me somehow, as it seems the problem is only getting worse as I type more. Yeah, the hole seems like it was clearly already there and the material that was punched through is stiill actually connected sort of thing.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:14:38 »
It's plate mounted, you'd have to desolder all the switches to get it apart...

Probably the best bet is to look into warranty.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:25:50 »
II assume they have a year or so on their warranty, so best bet is seeing what they say to me tomorrow, I guess I was just more weiirded out by the hole, as I didn't want them to thiink I did it or anything.

Offline remmeh

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 11:42:11 »
That is bizarro. What are the two "legs" sticking out from the side of the switch on either side of the hole??

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:51:26 »
There's nothing actually sticking out, what it is, is that where the hole is next to the switch, the metal is basically pushed down, but still connected, the picture makes it look as though there's something sticking out when it's actually just the ends of the hole.. if that makes sense to you.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:12:59 »
It's plate mounted, you'd have to desolder all the switches to get it apart...

Probably the best bet is to look into warranty.
This is not accurate. Pull the casing off, and you can flip the board over and desolder the single problem switch.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 23:17:14 »
Am going to send it back to where I got it from tomorrow. Hate having to pay postage when it's not my fault, but hopefully the issue gets resolved.

Offline Tikki

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 01:54:35 »
mine has the same hole thing under the I key, but mine is brand new and the key works fine so far

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 01:57:35 »
Yeah, turned out there's 5 in total of them on the keyboard. Just hope it gets replaced.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:03:35 »
Good luck!

Obvious: make sure you take the Valentine set off first :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:10:34 »
Haha yeah, already done that. Hopefully the turn around time isn't too bad on it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:12:23 by MissMurd3r84 »