Author Topic: NMB RT8255C+ review (clicky black Space Invaders)  (Read 4395 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
NMB RT8255C+ review (clicky black Space Invaders)
« on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 09:37:06 »
This week, a particularly colourful review 8) . Hope you enjoy it!

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Altis

Re: NMB RT8255C+ review (clicky black Space Invaders)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 18:39:16 »
Excellent review, as always. I've just gotten a 3rd NMB keyboard (two RT8255C and an RT101), all three with the "clicky" space invaders.

I'm glad you highlighted some of the quirks of the keyboard. One thing that is especially notable is the gap between actuation and the click, as when you try to type very softly, you can avoid the clicks. This can actually be kind of difficult to avoid errors though since if you type this softly, you'll likely end up with some keys clicking and some not.

Another interesting thing is that you get one click for the downstroke and one for the upstroke. However, there is a point between them at which you will only get the downwards click (if you stop just after it) -- the same goes for the upwards stroke if you stop halfway, but this isn't useful.

You can also remove the clicker piece (the white plastic bit) and end up with effectively linear switches. I made the spacebar and most modifiers linear and it's quite pleasant this way. I also swapped the heavy spacebar spring with the Pause/Break key so that the spacebar isn't so heavy.

The one I just got is brand new. I'm hoping to try lubricating one of them to see how it is.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 01:34:42 »
Cheers mate, glad you liked it :) . I was beginning to wonder if someone here was going to reply to it xD .

Yes, the downstroke distance can influence quite a lot with this thing. I briefly touched upon the things you mention but couldn't put in more about them lest the video became too long - similarly I had to cut some other portions out completely.

The idea of removing the clicker is quite interesting, and I might give it a try, but it's quite a small thing so I'm afraid I might damage it xD . If I do, I'll see how it compares to my 725 though :) .

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 10:18:39 »
as usual you provide another great, informative review that really benefits the person watching.

appreciate your labors mate :thumb:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 11:01:30 »
as usual you provide another great, informative review that really benefits the person watching.

appreciate your labors mate :thumb:
Thanks mate, happy you liked it :) .

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 03:03:09 »
Nice review.

Only three real problems with space invader switches:

(1) clicky switches actuate before the tactile/click point

(2) the stabilizers are utter crap

(3) they made ludicrously stiff switches for the spacebars

Otherwise, really fabulous switches / keycaps / boards. (Well, except the tactile version; I didn’t enjoy those.) #3 is pretty easy to fix just by swapping the spring between spacebar and some useless key like numlock or something.

It sounds like this board you have might be a bit stiffer than most black space invader boards. The ones I’ve tried are noticeably less stiff than the linear or tactile space invader switches I’ve tried. Would be nice to get some force curves measured, and solid dimensional measurements of the various springs.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 03:11:42 by jacobolus »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 03:33:23 »
Otherwise, really fabulous switches / keycaps / boards. (Well, except the tactile version; I didn’t enjoy those.) #3 is pretty easy to fix just by swapping the spring between spacebar and some useless key like numlock or something.

It sounds like this board you have might be a bit stiffer than most black space invader boards. The ones I’ve tried are noticeably less stiff than the linear or tactile space invader switches I’ve tried. Would be nice to get some force curves measured, and solid dimensional measurements of the various springs.
Yeah, I swapped my spacebar switch with the Break one. Much better that way! :)

Some force curves would be good for sure. These are definitely very stiff - in fact, that's why the seller got rid of it.

What didn't you like about the tactile ones?