Author Topic: IBM Selectric 1 spherical double shot PEI, smooth!  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Wingklip

• I am the one the one the one the one the one
IBM Selectric 1 spherical double shot PEI, smooth!
« on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 01:22:18 »
They look so thick and feel so smooth and shiny!

Polyerithermide keycaps are op :(

Why are they not on keyboards today? Or perhaps PBT is superior in terms of wear mechanics and strength?

Really need a beam spring keyboard to give them a second Life 162490-0
162492-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 05:46:08 by Wingklip »
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline mustardgreens

Re: IBM Selectric 1 spherical double shot pbt smooth!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 08:59:43 »
I use a Selectric every day at work for typing out envelopes and carbon copies. The machine has been in daily use on the same desk since the 1960s. Our caps are in similar shape, but we have icon mods instead of text mods (both grey with white legends). Yours grey seems a bit brighter.

Offline pomk

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:11:26 »
Are they really double shot PBT? Have you done the acetone test? It should not harm PBT at all while melting ABS and other lesser plastics.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:01:48 »
Are they really double shot PBT? Have you done the acetone test? It should not harm PBT at all while melting ABS and other lesser plastics.

I'm skeptical. The technology for doubleshot PBT was only done recently, IIRC.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline need

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:16:31 »

abs

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 17:13:08 »

abs

I'm quite surprised that the abs being out there for more than 5 decades has survived not yellowing for that long. The letters are whiter than my IBM model F caps and even more so than the kkk  :p

These are beam spring compatible right?
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline Targa-TV

Re: IBM Selectric 1 spherical double shot pbt? smooth!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:19:19 »
That IBM looks exactly like one of my mother's old friends. God that takes me back.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline hapakey

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 17:40:36 »

abs

I'm quite surprised that the abs being out there for more than 5 decades has survived not yellowing for that long. The letters are whiter than my IBM model F caps and even more so than the kkk  :p

These are beam spring compatible right?

Don't think they are.

Offline Wingklip

Re: IBM Selectric 1 spherical double shot PEI, smooth!
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 05:47:17 »
Quite sure they are beam spring compatible tbh. The selectric 1 and 2 are cross compatible and the beam springs seem to accept the same kind of vertical stem profile... Can anyone confirm? They even use keycaps that seem to be the same as the ones on the selectrics.