geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Thoughts on 43 inch monitors?

(1/5) > >>

Sniping:
I've been eyeing this monitor 43 inch monitor for the last couple of weeks. Everyone's been telling me that 43 inches would be too big but I think a 43 inch 4K panel sounds like a good idea. It seems like most people are drawing the line at 30-32 inches, and anything more is too big. At $450 it isn't  much more expensive than most 32 inch 4K monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2

What do people think of 40+ inch monitors? It seems like it hasn't caught on in the past few years, but it seems like monitors are getting bigger and bigger as panel resolution increases.

tp4tissue:
If you use it just as a monitor, it's fine..

But since it's 4K,  I assume you'd want to watch 4k blurays/ HDR content..

That's going to be an issue because this is a standard srgb gamut panel..  which means it will not render HDR properly..

Other than that, Strictly as a monitor with NO intention of 4K bluray/HDR content (future HDR games),  this monitor will work fine.

If you intend to use it for content consumption,  you don't want IPS look for VA,  the colors are much deeper and more vivid.

Tp4 personally uses a 50 inch at 2 meters (standing desk),   and a 70 inch at 4 meters..

43 inch is too big for 2 feet / 3 feet desks,  you want to be at least 1.5 meters away .

Leslieann:
You have to consider how close you will be to the screen, larger is not necessarily better. From too close up, your field of view is not large enough to really take advantage of it and you end up craning your neck all over to see. This is especially bad for FPS gaming as you can't take in your surroundings well enough. One of my clients had a 46 or 48in screen on a deep desk, one of those old large wooden 3ft deep executive desks. It was MISERABLE. It's nearly 3 feet tall, I had to look up waaaaaay too much to see the top and because it was so far away, they actually had lower the resolution to be able to see the text on it, especially near the top.

I recently had to replace my screens after one of my dual 25in died, and I actually paid more to get smaller screens because no one wants to to sell high resolution, in a smaller size. Why? Because it doesn't make sense on a desk. Humans have a wide field of view, and our necks are better at twisting than they are at looking up, so extra wide is fine, but too tall gets old really fast. Several times now I've had to use monitors that I found were actually too tall to be comfortable, the first was a 22in crt on a shallow desk, and the second was that customers TV screen, which even they said was miserable. When the son moved out, he took it with him and the bought a 25in.

OH, and something not mentioned and does matter, a LOT, is scaling.
Mac does this really well, but that's because it was engineered for a high res screen. Windows scales okay, the taskbar can get a bit small on Win8 or 7, 10 is better, but other than that most things on it seem to adapt to high res okay, not great, but okay. Browsers can be very iffy. Linux support for it varies depending on the desktop environment, for example Cinnamon does great at 1080p, and at 4k, but 2560x1440p screens are stuck in the middle and results in some rather small font (which is what I use). On the other hand, Elementary works great on 1440 and even better on 4k, but oh god is it horrible on a 1366x768 screen, the icons are massive.

Some of this can be fixed, some of it cannot so the best advice, go test drive one of these screens before you buy, because it doesn't always work as well as you think. Honestly, on such a large screen being so far away, lower resolution may actually be better and cheaper.

kurplop:
I use a 40” monitor with a 16:10 aspect and I really like it. I made my desk slightly lower than average and the monitor is only about 2” off the desktop which keeps the screen top from being uncomfortably high. I think it is easier on the eyes to be a little farther away from the screen. It is UHD but I prefer using 2560x1600.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: kurplop on Wed, 17 October 2018, 00:15:51 ---I use a 40” monitor with a 16:10 aspect and I really like it. I made my desk slightly lower than average and the monitor is only about 2” off the desktop which keeps the screen top from being uncomfortably high. I think it is easier on the eyes to be a little farther away from the screen. It is UHD but I prefer using 2560x1600.

--- End quote ---

Tp4 uses 1366x768 on the 4K 50 inch from 2 meters away..

For CAD , Tp4 goes up to 1920x1080

Only use 4K itself for movies // gamz..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version